The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, goosey said:

If you put just enough patchmac in for it to be level it would probably sink after a week, if you overfill slightly after a week of cars driving over it would compact down level maybe 

They use a compactor, I've seen them doing it 

About 5 years ago they completely resurfaced the road I live in, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from a dip in the road due to mining subsidence 

When they re-opened the road I shit you not the dip was still there FFS 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Why do pothole repairers turn a hole into a mound 

You guys are getting potholes fixed??!! :o

422453716_10168399436495397_1282342599622709287_n.jpg

• Haha 2

Not round here were not,me had the same thing a few years ago nothing wrong with our road ( probably not 200 yes long) as a side road totally resurfaced, other minefields in area now worse.

There was a news item a bit back that said if they worked on just repairing potholes & no more appeared while this was happening it would take approximately 20 years to achieve  smooth roads.

On 20/01/2024 at 14:54, richardmorris said:

Just popped up on suggested you tube. 
what is wrong with some people? Were they trying to get a free tyre?

What a total shit show, would have been a shame if highways came along and just took the vehicle away off the hard shoulder if he wasn't being cooperative. Then bill him for recovery and storage

The hard shoulder is for emergencies only, not farting around trying to get a tyre at the cheapest price possible

That patrol still remained a lot calmer than I possibly could have, sod risking my life on the hard shoulder next to a live lane while this throbber wants it done cheaper. Fucking cretin

And for him to then ask for the guy to come back and fit it after he left? I'm so glad he didn't go back, serves the twat right. I don't know what he thought he was achieving but I'm glad he lost his £400 and still ended up needing the tyre fitted!

The fact the idiot stepped into the live lane in a feeble attempt to block from leaving as well! If he did stop rather than move into the second lane then it could have easily caused a nasty pileup

Given his unhinged behaviour I'd not want to be stood there for a second longer than necessary. He'd probably be the sort to push someone into the live lane of traffic if things got more heated 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goosey said:

How can they call it Sudafed Max Strength when the ingredients are the same as normal Sudafed which also only has the same ingredients as Asda own brand £1.50 Cold and Flu ? 

Never buy “branded “ over the counter medicines. Supermarket own brands and generics have the same ingredients at 1/2 to 1/5 of the price.

5 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Never buy “branded “ over the counter medicines. Supermarket own brands and generics have the same ingredients at 1/2 to 1/5 of the price.

And are made in the same factory. 

8 hours ago, goosey said:

How can they call it Sudafed Max Strength when the ingredients are the same as normal Sudafed which also only has the same ingredients as Asda own brand £1.50 Cold and Flu ? 

What you actually need is lemon juice, honey, boiling water and 2 paracetamol. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, New POD said:

What you actually need is lemon juice, honey, boiling water and 2 paracetamol. 

With Brandy or Whiskey in it, or it definitely won’t work 😉

• Like 3

11 hours ago, goosey said:

But it costs more and has brighter colours on the packaging, so it must work better!

I do the same, and just read the back of the boxes then buy the cheapest non-brand product that has the same active ingredients. The difference in price is mental.

• Like 2

Drugs are not always that simple, my wife had breast cancer 3 years ago and was treated privately under the medical insurance my employer supplies, came home with drugs and all was fine, when one of the drugs runs out she gets the next lot (same active ingreadients) from the GP via the NHS,  and a few days later is covered in a rash, goes back to GP who puts her back on the branded ones ilo of the cheap indian shit and all is well again. Digging into it it's the other packers and bulking agents which are not listed which change and she had a reaction to one of these.

I didn't know that, but my mother in law insists on paying through the nose for Panadol claiming 'nothing else works'.

1 hour ago, kevins said:

Drugs are not always that simple, my wife had breast cancer 3 years ago and was treated privately under the medical insurance my employer supplies, came home with drugs and all was fine, when one of the drugs runs out she gets the next lot (same active ingreadients) from the GP via the NHS,  and a few days later is covered in a rash, goes back to GP who puts her back on the branded ones ilo of the cheap indian shit and all is well again. Digging into it it's the other packers and bulking agents which are not listed which change and she had a reaction to one of these.

I was really talking about non prescription drugs , but some people have reactions to things that don’t affect millions. Cancer sufferers do seem more susceptible to reactions, possibly to do with reduced immune system?

On 23/01/2024 at 23:38, junkyarddog said:

Very clean looking Galaxie in the hands of meathead that's going to smash it up🙄

FB_IMG_1706053017943.thumb.jpg.258537dca069a6100fdbfc594343a3a8.jpg

FB_IMG_1706053257075.thumb.jpg.2214b58904920387890a81cddd287a30.jpg

FB_IMG_1706053274315.thumb.jpg.18494bf8bb0a22ad14a144b69dd8da70.jpg

He’s advised that he’ll sell it complete for the right offer. He cleared a few other cars from the site too, one of which is a Ford Zodiac (or similar) that’s up for sale now I believe. 

4 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

But it costs more and has brighter colours on the packaging, so it must work better!

I do the same, and just read the back of the boxes then buy the cheapest non-brand product that has the same active ingredients. The difference in price is mental.

The active ingredients are the same but the others may well not be. These can affect absorption and efficacy of the active ingredient. It's not codswallop but you pays your money and takes your choice.

I buy the cheap stuff but those gel nurofens are best for a hangover imo

On 21/01/2024 at 18:27, Remspoor said:

Driving up from Spain to the Netherlands. Got into Basque country after half a days drive and the engine coolant light came on.  Found a garage and topped up with plain water. The light comes on quite often through France so purchased some orange coolant to keep it topped up.

Searching found several suggestions. doggie cap, doggie sensor, bad ERG valve or head gasket.

There is no sign of leakage or mayonnaise. No bubbles in the water either. The other day purchased a new cap as this was the easiest and cheapest repair. That did not work. Tomorrow we will be looking for a garage.

Fluck, fluck, fluck:angry008:

Well It turns out it was a small hole in the rad...... or was it?

So the garage lifted me of around 435 Euros to supply and fit a new one.

However, twice since then the warning light has come on. Topped up with coolant obviously too.

I have noticed there is a wet left hand side footwell.  It was a bit wet before we left and I put it down to parking on a slight incline.

Last night I was thinking just how to get over this and make it back to Spain without having another garage rip us off.

Looked on the internet found a video in English and a Dutch forum for 307s . Both explained the same way. You do not have to dismantle all of the dash. As I thought.

I bought a lot of tools with me, but I did forget the star head drivers. Purchased a multi headed one. I need one to remove the side panel on the centre console.

Of that came. Photo is of the heater matrix cover with the route of the two pipes marked in green. That cover is part of the matrix and is sealed to the bullhead pipes with two O rings.

footwell.thumb.jpeg.f98feae701197c0f5fff937e2a9cf665.jpeg

At the moment it is dry. So I am baffled. I have purchased more coolant and some leak stop liquid. I hope I do not need them.

Could well be the O rings, in my experince leaky O rings can be a bit random and often leak far more when they are cold.

2 hours ago, kevins said:

Could well be the O rings, in my experince leaky O rings can be a bit random and often leak far more when they are cold.

Yes, that’s very true, I find the o rings in my cock tend to leak when cold at my time of life

On 24/01/2024 at 15:59, mercedade said:

Bleaugh

The only thing I saw was some absolute baby having a moan because someone gratefully received some money that they didn't ask for, were gifted explicitly with no strings attached, and then felt 'duped' because...a man who buys cars to have a play with and sell decided to do exactly that. Personally, I was pleased to see he hadn't initially felt the shackles of owing others a specific due - it was, as ever, the feeling of entitlement from the baby-group of others that seemed to be the issue.

It's amazing how hard people will work to have an opinion innit

image.png.067aae4533ac40e5f38beee59afc65f4.png

• Sad 2

On 24/01/2024 at 22:38, goosey said:

Just to add context I’m sure years ago Sudafed max strength contained paracetamol AND ibroprothen but now it just has the paracetamol only the fuckin pricks I said to the woman there I’m sure they’ve changed it but she reckons it’s the same check the ingredients which I did and that’s when I saw it’s the same as the Asda cold and flu 

Nurse Here:

From OTC remedies just buy cheap paracetamol, cheap ibuprofen and take with either caffeine tablets or coffee ( this speeds up the metabolisation of the meds)

Pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine are both short acting nasal decongestants but if Im honest you probably have better results from using Olbas oil and you can use it PRN rather than being stuck to every 4 to 6 hours.

If you need to sleep grab some Phenergan tablets from the chemist - they dont last more than a couple of nights but certainly do help.

20 hours ago, Lankytim said:

He’s advised that he’ll sell it complete for the right offer. He cleared a few other cars from the site too, one of which is a Ford Zodiac (or similar) that’s up for sale now I believe. 

Do you have a link where this is for sale please? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, goosey said:

Do you have a link where this is for sale please? 

Unfortunately he’s already sold it apparently!

18 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Well It turns out it was a small hole in the rad...... or was it?

So the garage lifted me of around 435 Euros to supply and fit a new one.

However, twice since then the warning light has come on. Topped up with coolant obviously too.

I have noticed there is a wet left hand side footwell.  It was a bit wet before we left and I put it down to parking on a slight incline.

Last night I was thinking just how to get over this and make it back to Spain without having another garage rip us off.

Looked on the internet found a video in English and a Dutch forum for 307s . Both explained the same way. You do not have to dismantle all of the dash. As I thought.

I bought a lot of tools with me, but I did forget the star head drivers. Purchased a multi headed one. I need one to remove the side panel on the centre console.

Of that came. Photo is of the heater matrix cover with the route of the two pipes marked in green. That cover is part of the matrix and is sealed to the bullhead pipes with two O rings.

footwell.thumb.jpeg.f98feae701197c0f5fff937e2a9cf665.jpeg

At the moment it is dry. So I am baffled. I have purchased more coolant and some leak stop liquid. I hope I do not need them.

May be unrelated.  Hopefully it will be the scuttle drain clogged up, a relatively simple fix.

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

From OTC remedies just buy cheap paracetamol, cheap ibuprofen and take with either caffeine tablets or coffee ( this speeds up the metabolisation of the meds)

Funnily enough caffeine tablets are the only "medicine" that I buy the branded version of; pro plus is a lovely shiny thing that's easy to swallow, the cheap ones are awful chalky pucks that start to dissolve in your mouth and get stuck and taste foul.

• Like 3

EF390F37-FFAE-4CF2-AAD1-D64EC047CAF3.thumb.jpeg.63577f356970f07e2464e42be7b8a1db.jpegBC7B50AC-1493-4D65-AC82-50BF9438B46E.thumb.jpeg.8fb7e41e62ccb510c57273bc9486b493.jpeg

had to order this coolant manifold from Merc as it has a hairline crack, luckily Merc can get the part in for collection tomorrow morning so I can get it fitted by lunchtime, £87 though mind 

• Sad 1

Apparently the water board had to fix a regular size pipe using tiny people.

8155225216196826555.thumb.jpg.26a0b3b9a43f952724a32d91363a34e2.jpg

That'll be why the water has been off since yesterday afternoon then.

Rainwater to flush toilets. Glad I had gutters fitted to the house.

Phil

On 24/01/2024 at 03:06, LightBulbFun said:

@sdkrc you want another one right? :) 

theres  some interesting pictures of it here

https://www.altysfunerals.co.uk/our-history-the-famous-fleet/

image.thumb.png.76ea3c019090072936f499b687269223.png

Phwooar, that's very lovely. 

If I got that, I'd leave it in a worse state than the banger racer but I'd do it slowly and unintentionally.

I'm pro 'do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want-with-your-own-things'. Bon chance to the guy. 

12 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

image.png.067aae4533ac40e5f38beee59afc65f4.png

He’ll be back within a month. His ego is too great to surrender 35,000 followers/disciples/cash donors.

He’s just temporarily de-activated until the heat dies down. 😉 

• Like 1

i had to do the mercy dash to rescue mother gm tonight - her and pals were heading to whitley bay theatre for a show, whilst lost in the town centre, her astra stalled and wouldn’t restart. i legged it through and found them all still sitting in the car (i did suggest they pop into the ‘spoons round the corner for a cuppa) stranded in the middle of the road, several foot off the kerb. not one passer by had offered help or to push the car to the side of the road :( 

we’ve had trouble with this in the past but a replacement clutch switch appeared to have solved the problem. maybe i should have bought a genuine replacement and not a cheap aftermarket part. 

anyway, i jumped in and gave the clutch pedal a good stomping, turned the key and got them going. i’m now killing time in the aforementioned ‘spoons while they enjoy the bootleg beatles :) 

if it doesn’t start when they come out, the sodding thing is being abandoned and i’ll take them all home in the bini.

bloody moderns !

• Sad 2