The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fucking car (slightly) broken yet again!

Rear window on the drivers side has been making nasty noises for a week or three and has stopped going all the way down. Today, it made an even more amusing noise and didn't go anywhere!

Bollocks.

Taken the back door apart.... what a bloody faff and palaver! I have never seen so many hidden screws (or, not seen as in this case!) and trying to get at the motor/cable/lift unit is.... tricky! Finally got it all out and without breaking anything (when you know that a bit of trim is probably in the hundreds, it focusses the mind beautifully!) and the cables have come off the runners. Okay, lets sort that then....

No. There is a little plastic ferrule/guide thing at the top that has snapped. I could get it all back together but it will fall off again ASAP so not worth the hassle. So, go and investigate Flying Spares website and the prices are unbelievable! A new one is £780 plus VAT etc and a second hand one (if they have one) is £200. Out of the goodness of their hearts they have had this tiny plastic ferrule made in metal.....£48!!!!!!!

If my car was a couple of years older, then the motor/unit is different and runs on chains and looks like it would last a thousand years, this fucker is modern and shit with cables and plastic fittings.

So, what to do? A new one is out (obviously!) but do I get a s/h one if there is one about or try and get this ferrule thing to fit?

The back door is currently in the boot (well, all the door furniture is) and the window is held up by the tube from a hoover butchered to fit!

The Shadows used a big fuck off motor with a motorcycle chain to drive it but by the time they built the Spirit tyhe accountants had decided there was no need to over engineer hence the shitty cables and plastics.

Fucking car (slightly) broken yet again!

Rear window on the drivers side has been making nasty noises for a week or three and has stopped going all the way down. Today, it made an even more amusing noise and didn't go anywhere!

Bollocks.

Taken the back door apart.... what a bloody faff and palaver! I have never seen so many hidden screws (or, not seen as in this case!) and trying to get at the motor/cable/lift unit is.... tricky! Finally got it all out and without breaking anything (when you know that a bit of trim is probably in the hundreds, it focusses the mind beautifully!) and the cables have come off the runners. Okay, lets sort that then....

No. There is a little plastic ferrule/guide thing at the top that has snapped. I could get it all back together but it will fall off again ASAP so not worth the hassle. So, go and investigate Flying Spares website and the prices are unbelievable! A new one is £780 plus VAT etc and a second hand one (if they have one) is £200. Out of the goodness of their hearts they have had this tiny plastic ferrule made in metal.....£48!!!!!!!

If my car was a couple of years older, then the motor/unit is different and runs on chains and looks like it would last a thousand years, this fucker is modern and shit with cables and plastic fittings.

So, what to do? A new one is out (obviously!) but do I get a s/h one if there is one about or try and get this ferrule thing to fit?

The back door is currently in the boot (well, all the door furniture is) and the window is held up by the tube from a hoover butchered to fit!

Find someone with a 3D printer to make you a new one....

Another of my cats was killed by a car who allegedly didn't slow down and sped off after hitting him.Particularly sad as he was a link to his dad who I had to bury in similar circumstances last year.wasn't even a year old.

Another of my cats was killed by a car who allegedly didn't slow down and sped off after hitting him.Particularly sad as he was a link to his dad who I had to bury in similar circumstances last year.wasn't even a year old.

That is terrible news, one of our cats has been missing six days now. It's shit when you lose them, however it happens but that is worse than most.

I whacked (miror to mirror) a parked one the other day (evoque) , and i thought it would be alright because mine was ok.. :-D  :-D   

On the way home i saw it was smashed to bits :shock:  , so obviously ,i stopped , knocked on the  house door and offered to pay for it ..  :mrgreen:

Like hell i did !!

I just hope someone does the same to you then, I expect you won't find it as amusing. 

We lost two cats (i.e we never saw them again) when I was a kid, but they know when their time is up and usually fuck off somewhere calm to expire...

The Shadows used a big fuck off motor with a motorcycle chain to drive it but by the time they built the Spirit tyhe accountants had decided there was no need to over engineer hence the shitty cables and plastics.

The earlier Spirits do as well. Looks like proper old fashioned, last forever engineering. It wasn't until 95 that they changed it to this cheap (Ha!) shit. So yours should be proper stuff. Can I have your doors? :) 

Yes, I know they are different but I've got an angle grinder.....

But, light on the horizon. Chap in the club remembered a bloke offering a repair service. Found me his details and it looks like £90 for a rebuild for my one with brass ferrules etc. I shall await his reply....

• Like 2

I would love to have another cat. I prefer dogs but am very fond of mousers as well (anything really, just not snakes or spiders) but I live very close to a main road where the twats fly up and down so a moggy would have a life expectancy of minutes. We lost loads of cats when I lived at home (with wife) and every time it breaks your heart.

My condolences for your loss mate.

Sorry to hear about your cat :(

There must be something going on in the feline world currently that's making them suicidal. I've had 2 run out in front of me in the last couple of weeks, luckily I've managed to avoid both. You come to expect it from rabbits but cats are usually more savvy

Looking at that pic of Cros's motor, I have come to the conclusion that he is the bloke in Constables "The Haywain" and I claim my five pounds....

• Like 1

I just hope someone does the same to you then, I expect you won't find it as amusing. 

"I smashed an Evoke wing mirror off today, mine wasn't damaged so hahahaha all new cars are shit hahahaha they deserved it for spending more than £250 on a car"

Some time later...

"Someone smashed my wing mirror off today, I bet it was someone with a new car who doesn't care about my car cos they think it's just an old banger"

(Probably)

• Like 3

I've never understood why cat owners don't keep them indoors. I'm sure I've read that the average life span of a house cat is 14, and a "roaming" cat's life span is around 6 or so due to dangers from traffic e.t.c.

I'm sure that's a really useful comment for someone who has just lost a beloved pet.. sorry :(

Still on the way home. Journey on train got shit after a load of studenty-type Bristol Rover's supporters boarded the train and started singing, shouting and boozing. Then just missed my train to get nearer home as the ever celebrated Birmingham "Grand Central" station (basically glossed over New Street station) doesn't appear to have a train that goes to Kidderminster. Nope, got to walk on the double to Moor St. station.

Plus, I forgot to phone Mrs_Sterling this morning. :(

Joy.

I've never understood why cat owners don't keep them indoors. I'm sure I've read that the average life span of a house cat is 14, and a "roaming" cat's life span is around 6 or so due to dangers from traffic e.t.c.

I'm sure that's a really useful comment for someone who has just lost a beloved pet.. sorry :(

All of cats have gone out and never lost one under 12 and that was to diabetes, it would be cruel to keep them inside, especially for ours as we have a wood behind us. This one is only 9 and she is gorgeous. We have dropped leaflets through nearby houses doors in the hope she has got herself stuck in a garage but after six days it's getting serious. Fingers crossed she will be come back but beginning to wonder now :-(

It's possible to keep cats indoors if that's what they are used to.

My two came from the RSPCA as housecats, lived happily indoors for 3 years, then when I moved to a house with a garden they were reluctant to go out at all.

After 2 years of being able to go out, they rarely do, and never more than about 10 feet from the back door.

So while it probably would be cruel to start keeping an outdoor cat inside, if you get a kitten or existing housecat then it's fine.

The one of ours that is missing is a rescue cat, she came from a breeder and had been kept in a run no more than 6feet long for her first three years. She loves being out and just comes in of an evening to sit on my wife's lap.

Is it me, or is it really fucking annoying when people quote a massive long post including sixteen pictures and twenty paragraphs just to add one line of comment.

Website, mobile site and Tapatalk all let you edit quotes.

It's not you, it's annoying.

• Like 2

If you fancy spending the night at Chez Pillock, our little puss will give you a great idea why they get let out.

"Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow.  Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow.  Yow. Yow. Yow. Yow. " This is especially effective at 7.30am on a Sunday.

Some cats like the hunting/killing/stalking stuff, others like being stroked and lying in the sun and occasionally eating if you move the food close enough to them. A bit like people I suppose, I get really tetchy if I don't leave the house one day but I know people who sometimes can't remember when they last went outside

• Like 3

Looking at that pic of Cros's motor, I have come to the conclusion that he is the bloke in Constables "The Haywain" and I claim my five pounds....

Either that or Wesley from Last of the Summer Wine

Shitbay again.

Item: Pool Ball Gear Knob for VW T2 Empi / Hurst Trigger Shifter ONLY

Message from buyer: Can you send a number 13, For a nissan.

I'm half starting to believe it's someone from here trying to wind me up to breaking point.

I whacked (miror to mirror) a parked one the other day (evoque) , and i thought it would be alright because mine was ok.. :-D:-D

On the way home i saw it was smashed to bits :shock: , so obviously ,i stopped , knocked on the house door and offered to pay for it .. :mrgreen:

Like hell i did !!

If the ewok was barging it's way through on your side of the road when you clipped the mirror that would be OK, or maybe at a push it would be OK if the owner parked it like a twat on the road meaning there was no way of avoiding the mirror, but with the info given I'm looking for the dislike button it makes me sad

Back when I was growing up,we had a rescue cat that wee got when she was 8 and no one wanted her because she was too old.she went outside and lived till she was 23.

My other three cats are all females and don't go far,we have a big garden with a field behind, the main road ius about 100yds from the house but it seemed the male cats roamed further,we had no idea.it ius gut wrenching,2 days before my birthday as well,and his sister seems a bit "lost" without him.

That's just man maths though, isn't it?

I'd be happy to accept Ed's labour as free if it was made clear in the episodes that he had a day job, and struggled away in a council lock-up of an evening with no electricity and a selection of poor quality ebay tools, balancing the spiraling costs of his ill-advised resto and keeping his wife and family happy about the increasing hours he's spending there.

As it is he is portrayed as a pro mechanic with a full workshop, and in real life he would get evicted from his unit every time a series of WD was filmed, as he works on these cars for anything from 1-2 days to a couple of weeks per car meaning a series would mean upwards of 2 months working FOR FREE on a selection of cars for a mockney gobshite.

I am however happy to concede that this is not enough to put me off watching, and that I've probably thought about this a bit too much.

No fiver for you Mr Parky, the Haywain was clearly in the water when it broke down which would have been handy for topping up. I have a picture of my other lorry loaded with hay and we would have been stopped by the Constable if he'd been about. I'll post it here if I can find it.

I've always had cats and they've always been let out, but we always lived well away from roads so little chance of issues with cars (other than people parking up outside their homes).

When I got my current cat, I let him out but wish I hadn't. He's been hit by a car before and is an absolute fuggin nightmare during the night with pestering to be out which he didn't do before I showed him the cat flap. I'll know for next time...