The grumpy thread

outlaw118

It would appear that the dizzy on my SD1 is worn hence the timing scatter.

No doubt the wear is in the shaft - a recon one from rimmers is around £250.

A secondhand item would more than likely have issues as well.

While checking the timing the fuel gauge packed in - the needle just went to its resting position.

More investigation then.

Fit one of these,then shaft where doesnt matter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-SD1-2300-2600-electronic-ignition-for-Lucas-45d6-/180630796901?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0e6f3a65

Or they probably do  complete dizzy

So.

Changed needle and seat valves in float chambers to fight excessive OMGMPG of Rover of d00m.

Managed to put everything back together without some bolts and washers left over.

Had to take grille out to retrieve dropped 1/2 inch spanner, too.

Result:

Runs really well, until I switch it off. When restarting from hot, it first runs ok, then, after maybe 100 yards, only on one carb, then dies in the middle of the road.

Waited a few seconds, restarted, and it ran like a dream.

This happened three times now.

Shit.

Ahh! The old Rover hot start problem. Dives me bonkers this does in both carb and Efi

Sounds like it is running mega rich. Try leaning off the mixture a tad and see what happens

It's running super lean. The problem seems to be, that the petrol starts to boil on a hot day like this after you switch off the engine.

Like Brickwall mentions, this seems to be a known issue among Rover V8ists.

Well, everything seems to be fine-ish atm, just one more thing I dislike - the difference between tickover rpm and rpm after I engaged gear is a bit big. I have to set it to about 1200 rpm, so it doesn't sink below 600 when I shift it in D. This difference was much less before reconditioning the carbs.

Don't know if this belongs in this thread or one of the myriad 'ebay/ebay users are knob' threads.Why do some folk selling a car that's fit for scrap seem to think that the fact the original spare tyre is present and unused somehow makes it more valuable/desirable???And another thing ( :) ) - why does someone selling a car that will appeal to (at most) two dozen buyers of obscure tat feel they need to copy and paste a long description of the model and its history into the listing? If you're looking to buy a Renault 16 you probably have some idea as to what one is! I know it was 'one of the first family hatchbacks' - just tell me if the rear suspension is still attached! :P

Probably the kind of folk who are to happy to tell your about the original spare wheel and tyre, but fail to mention the original engine oil and brake fluid.

It's running super lean. The problem seems to be, that the petrol starts to boil on a hot day like this after you switch off the engine.

Like Brickwall mentions, this seems to be a known issue among Rover V8ists.

Well, everything seems to be fine-ish atm, just one more thing I dislike - the difference between tickover rpm and rpm after I engaged gear is a bit big. I have to set it to about 1200 rpm, so it doesn't sink below 600 when I shift it in D. This difference was much less before reconditioning the carbs.

Fuel vapourisation is a problem on the rover - so much so that there was a factory approved mod for EFi SD1's - it was a valve, some pipework and wiring - metered air was taken in so that the car didnt stall when drive was engaged.

I'm spending so much time working on the XM that my family life is suffering! It's a great car but it always needs something doing. Does anybody want to buy it? It pulls like a train!

• Like 1

Hey, flogged a bike on ebay, normal routine 99p start, reserve price, all that shit. Anyhow it ended at £431 or something, the lad paid (Paypal) and collected and today I got the invoice from ebay.

Seventy two fucking quid,  Ã‚£52 of which was final valuation fees. I got straight on to their online chat help thing and asked them if they were having a laugh. The reply was 'you obviously hadn't realised what the fees were, so as a one off gesture we'll knock the £52 FVF off.'  Fucking right it's a one off, I won't be in a hurry to advertise anything on there again, the thieving fucking twats.

• Like 8

Fucking mahoosive race oss spiders with jet pack faliure, hairy bollox and an arse dagger landing on the bed.

IMG_20140518_224924_zpsw7vz33k5.jpg

*May contain spiders.

Feel like crap. Got one of those headaches that feel like your eyes are going to explode. They certainly don't want to focus properly - although that could have something to do with being utterly knackered. 

I'm spending so much time working on the XM that my family life is suffering! It's a great car but it always needs something doing. Does anybody want to buy it? It pulls like a train!

best for sale advert ever

Just seen my bank statement.

Losing my phone (excess), having to fly back from Barcelona a day earlier cuz I was an idiot and booked the flights for the wrong day from holiday, and needing my car serviced and Lambda sensor replaced in the space of 3 weeks has depressed me signficantly.

Job hunting because I'm mildly autistic (Dyspraxia), and need to keep myself busy (or else I end up browsing here) is high on the agenda, but I find it difficult to get through the job app process.

The word association thread, I'm sorry but what a load of crap!

Honestly don't thin k I've looked at it on here, but on some other forums people use it as an excuse to run up their post count so they can sell stuff or whatever.

I'm sorry, but it's just childish behaviour. I don't ordinarily post there or even look but some people should catch the train and get a life. Either that or get off your horses and drink some milk.

Grow up!

If you don't like it, don't look at it. Works for me.

My other grump is the profusion of people who cannot seem to post on Autoshite in any form of recognisable English anymore.

My other grump is the profusion of people who cannot seem to post on Autoshite in any form of recognisable English anymore.

Aw c'mon, give Savvy and Hairnet a break.....

My little sis wants to buy her first car, and asked me for advice. Everything I suggested for her is either too old, too ugly or she doesn't like the colour. It's got to have a "nice face" apparently. After suggesting several cheap cars I gave up and told her I would come with her to view when she finds something she likes. Girls man.