Jump to content

Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread


dollywobbler

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I have considered a lift, but the floor of the barn is sloping, which doesn't strike me as ideal... Maybe when I do my next move, whenever that is. I'm fast realising that the barn is one of the big problems. It's badly laid out, not weatherproof, has a sloping floor that regularly gets soaking wet plus the location is becoming increasingly difficult - a generator now runs behind my barn, and stuff just gets dumped outside. A proper unit would be an absolute gamechanger I think.

Sounds like a plan. However, a word of caution. Look at Matt's video of his new storage unit and you will see you have  paradise. His looks so bad. I cannot see any ventilation,. Getting cars in and out is going to be a PITA. Having said that he does seem happy with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Sounds like a plan. However, a word of caution. Look at Matt's video of his new storage unit and you will see you have  paradise. His looks so bad. I cannot see any ventilation,. Getting cars in and out is going to be a PITA. Having said that he does seem happy with it.

When he had to about a 13 point turn to get the Volvo in and then said he has noise/time constraints and he can't do welding I did think it maybe wasn't 100% suitable for cars. Especially as he can only fit 5-6 of his fleet in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still, that's 5-6 cars under cover rather than on his driveway. I think my ideal scenario would be to find a house with a decent-sized garage and perhaps keep the unit just for storage. I really miss tinkering at home, because you can be much more flexible about time. Plus you have ready access to a proper toilet, food, somewhere to thaw out for a bit etc. The more I think about a 'proper' unit, the more I realise that'll be at least 18 miles away from where we live (because rural Wales, school keeps us fairly tied for geography when it comes to a house) and probably ruinously expensive as well.

I'm done for Christmas now, so afraid there is unlikely to be any further fleet progress for a couple of weeks. Covid in the household not helping there either! (50/50 split, one child, one parent. I'm fine, symptoms among the infected thankfully minimal).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I have considered a lift, but the floor of the barn is sloping, which doesn't strike me as ideal... Maybe when I do my next move, whenever that is. I'm fast realising that the barn is one of the big problems. It's badly laid out, not weatherproof, has a sloping floor that regularly gets soaking wet plus the location is becoming increasingly difficult - a generator now runs behind my barn, and stuff just gets dumped outside. A proper unit would be an absolute gamechanger I think.

I'm just a guy tinkering in my own lockup, but I agree that the facilities definitely make a huge difference. If you're not in a place where you can work comfortably, the desire to work vanishes. Sufficient dry space for storage of the working/non working fleet members, plus a suitable bay for an in depth job. 

I won a manual lift in a roffle earlier in the year - really really useful for all kinds of jobs, brakes, underseal etc etc. Challenge I have is using it in a single lockup - makes it a bit of a palarva to get set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

When he had to about a 13 point turn to get the Volvo in and then said he has noise/time constraints and he can't do welding I did think it maybe wasn't 100% suitable for cars. Especially as he can only fit 5-6 of his fleet in it.

Aye, it looked rubbish once you factor in the limitations, unless he just wants storage and will drive/trailer stuff back to his house to work on it.

I reckon he'll be lucky to get four cars in with the stars in the way. That Volvo, while long, probably has a tighter turning circle than most of the rest of his motors...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2021 at 9:27 AM, captain_70s said:

Aye, it looked rubbish once you factor in the limitations, unless he just wants storage and will drive/trailer stuff back to his house to work on it.

I reckon he'll be lucky to get four cars in with the stars in the way. That Volvo, while long, probably has a tighter turning circle than most of the rest of his motors...

Whilst that's true I still envy him. I'd love somewhere like that just to get my cars off the drive and out of the weather. I'd use the upstairs bit for parts/tools obs but also for some of my model car collection. I suspect the main thing that will eventually piss Matt off will be the apparent distance from his house and having to drive through town to get there.

Ian I'm sorry to hear about the lurgi. Hope everyone gets well soon. I think a short break from the cars and channel will do you good. Keep the videos coming in 2022. Whatever you decide on the car front, the videos are unfailingly entertaining and I look forward to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, skoda_fan said:

Ian I'm sorry to hear about the lurgi. Hope everyone gets well soon. I think a short break from the cars and channel will do you good. Keep the videos coming in 2022. Whatever you decide on the car front, the videos are unfailingly entertaining and I look forward to them.

Thank you. Miss HubNut is not at all well, but we've managed to convince her that bed is the best place to be. I'm absolutely itching to do some filming, but family needs to come first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, dollywobbler said:

Indeed so. I will be reducing the fleet in 2022, and will also be shedding a Fox I suspect. But, I'm putting it in for an MOT in Jan, sending it away for improvement works and then want one last hurrah. Roadtrips I miss hugely, and Foxanne has never really had a chance to shine, having been rushed together for Bromley Pageant of Motoring in 2019, then barely used since. Yugo is going and I welcome any interested parties, Oltcit parts car at some point (and I suspect the newer one too, but again, road legality and a roadtrip await), Charade is likely to stay and take one of the back-burner places as we still have plans for it, but another small replacement may come in.

That leaves me with something approaching core fleet. 2CV, Invacar, Matiz, Fairmont and probably the Camry and GSA. I fall in and out of love with the latter on a regular basis...

Whether I achieve any of this remains to be seen, but there is actually a plan.

On the Camry, I've been chatting to a former Toyota tech with plenty of knowledge. He's not entirely convinced it's HGF and has suggested it could be a result of all the gloop in the system from previous 'potion and hope' fixes, though I do wonder why such potions were tried. Plan is to do some compression tests first of all, then discuss what to do next. HGF isn't the end of the world, but we'll try and diagnose it accurately before diving in. You know, exactly the opposite of my Daihatsu strategy...

Have you sent the Camry in for a sniff test yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The GSA is away for the welding, the 2CV hasn't fully recovered from having its wing blown off, the Matiz is still out of MOT and not running right, the Charade is still a mess missing a front bumper and smoking like a sick Trabant, the good Oltcit still some way from an MOT and the new Camry is losing coolant at an alarming degree as HGF takes effect, which has ruled it out of use.

So I dug the Fox out and it successfully gained legality.

FIwApkSXEAQcaqj?format=jpg&name=small

After a week, it's doing ok but the battery is now duff, the water pump keeps squealing and it isn't running right. So I'm hurling it at a Reliant specialist later in the month for a proper sort-out. As a back up vehicle, it's working well enough and is taking some local mileage off the Fairmont. Which is still leaking transmission fluid.

The Sana is provisionally sold awaiting collection, the Multipla has now gone to its new home (a rather scary clutch-nightmare of a journey that'll be out in video very soon on the channel) and the 2CV has been welded up. Hoping to get some bodywork done on it tomorrow so that's back in use too.

GSA is proving more rotten than hoped, but at least it's off the road for winter.

A former Toyota tech is coming to help me with the Camry next week, so hopefully we can sort that out and that can take the load off the Fairmont. My Aussie bruiser has clocked up over 10,000 kms (6000 miles) since landing in the UK last year. I wasn't planning to drive it quite that far, though thankfully it's insured for more miles than that. I do need to get that gearbox looked at by someone who can actually fix it, but while it's working (loses drive fairly often first thing in the morning, but is then fine - it was doing this in New Zealand two years ago!), I'm reluctant to risk taking a working car out of use while the working/knackered ratio is so out of kilter.

FH3vl_iXIAAdJs9?format=jpg&name=small

Longer term, I'm going to be having more of a clearout. Oltcit will get finished, enjoyed but is very likely to be sold on, probably along with the spares car. Fox may also go, though it needs to have some adventures first, and will be appearing at the Practical Classics Restoration Show in March. I suspect the Camry will get moved on later in the year too, because the Fairmont has really taken the 'fuel guzzler' slot on the fleet. Both can just about nudge 27mpg on a run...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The GSA is away for the welding, the 2CV hasn't fully recovered from having its wing blown off, the Matiz is still out of MOT and not running right, the Charade is still a mess missing a front bumper and smoking like a sick Trabant, the good Oltcit still some way from an MOT and the new Camry is losing coolant at an alarming degree as HGF takes effect, which has ruled it out of use.

So I dug the Fox out and it successfully gained legality.

FIwApkSXEAQcaqj?format=jpg&name=small

After a week, it's doing ok but the battery is now duff, the water pump keeps squealing and it isn't running right. So I'm hurling it at a Reliant specialist later in the month for a proper sort-out. As a back up vehicle, it's working well enough and is taking some local mileage off the Fairmont. Which is still leaking transmission fluid.

The Sana is provisionally sold awaiting collection, the Multipla has now gone to its new home (a rather scary clutch-nightmare of a journey that'll be out in video very soon on the channel) and the 2CV has been welded up. Hoping to get some bodywork done on it tomorrow so that's back in use too.

GSA is proving more rotten than hoped, but at least it's off the road for winter.

A former Toyota tech is coming to help me with the Camry next week, so hopefully we can sort that out and that can take the load off the Fairmont. My Aussie bruiser has clocked up over 10,000 kms (6000 miles) since landing in the UK last year. I wasn't planning to drive it quite that far, though thankfully it's insured for more miles than that. I do need to get that gearbox looked at by someone who can actually fix it, but while it's working (loses drive fairly often first thing in the morning, but is then fine - it was doing this in New Zealand two years ago!), I'm reluctant to risk taking a working car out of use while the working/knackered ratio is so out of kilter.

FH3vl_iXIAAdJs9?format=jpg&name=small

Longer term, I'm going to be having more of a clearout. Oltcit will get finished, enjoyed but is very likely to be sold on, probably along with the spares car. Fox may also go, though it needs to have some adventures first, and will be appearing at the Practical Classics Restoration Show in March. I suspect the Camry will get moved on later in the year too, because the Fairmont has really taken the 'fuel guzzler' slot on the fleet. Both can just about nudge 27mpg on a run...

Maybe a C4picasso Lounge as the Multipla replacement..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C4-Picasso-Lounge-/224783921561?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

did you actually check the gearbox level properly on the fraud? you said in the video that you didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to do it as stated in the manual

it might just still be low on fluid

There are about three or four different 'rules' for checking the level, depending on where you look. We did top it up last year, and it was better, but she's slippy again now. Need to cure the leak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

it's not a similar gearbag to a granada/scorpio is it? iirc there was a thing about them that they needed to be over filled slightly to stop them playing up

Nope. It's a BTR gearbox, built in Australia. BTR began as Borg Warner Australia, which might explain why it's so musical in the lower gears. Gearbox was only used in Aussie Fords and, oddly, some Ssang Yongs (possibly a few other Far Eastern things). 

She has clocked up over 304,000kms, so the odd foible is allowed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve enjoyed all the recent videos.  Fleet tinkering I find really engaging.  Best part of the channel I think.  

Shame the Yugo is going but I can well understand the reasons why.  I think your stress levels will decrease nicely with a smaller, working fleet.

Years ago, I had seven cars.  Usually, most of them were broken and it was just a nightmare that I’m glad is behind me.   Now, I have three and I can keep on top of them easily enough and the whole situation is just more enjoyable and sustainable for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...