Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

On 12/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, dollywobbler said:

Here's a link if folk missed it.

Planning to take it on the shopping run this morning to see if it misbehaves. Have a LOT of miles to cover this weekend, so kind of hoping it isn't going to blow up or something.

Growing older is hard and I'm only at 41. Times are bleak and yet, yet! - I never knew of any car with twin rear wipers until now.

Thank you for the utter uplifting joy of your glee in this, DW.

Well, I'll be living dangerously tonight. Another 100 miles covered with no concerns other than 27mpg at the first fill. Was hoping for a little more given I could get 29 out an LS400...

But the outing means I haven't had chance to check the coolant (not that I've got a tester) and as I don't know what coolant it has, it seems a bit risky to just chuck what I have (pink) in. Frankly, given the staining from the coolant that spilled out the other day, I'm not sure there's any coolant in it. Proper orange, suggesting some silt/corrosion. I've parked it up against a wall in the hope it'll protect the engine from the coldest air...

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Well, I'll be living dangerously tonight. Another 100 miles covered with no concerns other than 27mpg at the first fill. Was hoping for a little more given I could get 29 out an LS400...

But the outing means I haven't had chance to check the coolant (not that I've got a tester) and as I don't know what coolant it has, it seems a bit risky to just chuck what I have (pink) in. Frankly, given the staining from the coolant that spilled out the other day, I'm not sure there's any coolant in it. Proper orange, suggesting some silt/corrosion. I've parked it up against a wall in the hope it'll protect the engine from the coldest air...

Have you found one yet?

0E0CE482-D6EA-489D-95E9-26D9B3C90CC2.png

19 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

No. I have one somewhere. I guess I'll have to order one, but that's unlikely to arrive much before Christmas. None of these worries with aircooled motors...

I think the air cooled Tatra 613 has a hydraulic fan.  My 613/4 had the ability to switch the cooling fan off for a few seconds during full throttle and approaching full revs which increased power from 200bhp to 220bhp.

Solid gold trivia for you, right there 👍

I pulled out some coolant today to take it down to the correct level. To be honest, it just looks like normal pink coolant, so I'm probably panicking about nothing. Checked tyre pressures too. One front was way over 40psi when it should be 36, the other front was down to about 30. 

Also washed the mud out of the rear arch lips. Can't do much about the rot on the offside one right now, but some rust converter followed by wax seems a good plan to slow it down.

I get 26/27 mpg out of my 3.0 v6 camry of the same age in mixed driving, i.e. some town/some motorway. On longer runs over 30mpg is possible which is good for a 3.0v6. v6 omegas can only manage 24mpg for example

As for autobox issues; in the states its not uncommon to see these with 300-400K miles on original transmission so I don't know where that rumour started. Mine had 161K when I got it, and is really smooth. ATF had never been changed and looked black so I did a change as part of the service

Again not sure if HGF is a bit of a myth too. Sure, I've heard of them failing once you get over 300K. Maybe its just the fact the 2.2 4 cylinder engine in the same era would do 500K without issues, that everyone thinks the 3VZ-FE is a weak engine, but its all relative. Compared to Ford/Vauxhalls/French engines this is stronger 😀

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, looks pretty sure it's got a gasket on the way out. I'm thinking Steel Seal is worth a go.

Have had many cars with cool vents, but you've always been able to turn them off! I suspect a flap or servo motor is stuck.

Did you get it from a proper dealer? I remember you mentioning concerns about negative reviews. Hints are there that they knew but tried to cover it up.

10 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, looks pretty sure it's got a gasket on the way out. I'm thinking Steel Seal is worth a go.

Have had many cars with cool vents, but you've always been able to turn them off! I suspect a flap or servo motor is stuck.

I could only turn the mercedes’s Down but not fully off with the dial control.

6 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

If bought from a dealer, you get minimum 3 month warranty. Take it back. They fix or refund.

Or deny it was faulty and beat you up. Seems there have been dodgy sales in the past. For the amount paid though it should have been very good.

20 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Or deny it was faulty and beat you up. Seems there have been dodgy sales in the past. For the amount paid though it should have been very good.

Denying fault does not matter. Dealer is responsible for any fault that develops after sale for duration of warranty. Legally I think they carry the can for 6 months, not that they like to advertise the fact.

Unlikley DW would get beaten up. He is a popular YT'ber. Any car dealer with two brain cells to rub together isn't going to want to get the bad publicity.

Given DW has been sold a lemon, if dealer won't refund or fix, then they should be named.

K-seal, rad weld and the like is stuff you put in a car that is not intended to survive long term.

There was somebody on the Triumph Acclaim Facebook page t'other day saying how he'd fixed his blowing head gasket with K-seal. Worked great, except now his heater doesn't work, probably 'cause it's full of fucking K-seal.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, dollywobbler said:

Am on my way to collect the car.  This is one review on the trader I'm buying from...

Screenshot_20211216-101614_Facebook.jpg.9c713ed747e961c21a6a3b3f3736d517.jpg

Encouraging eh? Company has changed name and moved in the past year. Feeling slightly concerned. I'll certainly be checking the car over properly before handing over any money! Slightly concerned I might be losing my deposit today. Let's see... (Not that I'll issue any spoilers before a video is out).

Yes, well can’t say the signs weren’t there.

37 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

There was somebody on the Triumph Acclaim Facebook page t'other day saying how he'd fixed his blowing head gasket with K-seal. Worked great, except now his heater doesn't work, probably 'cause it's full of fucking K-seal.

I bought a Fiat Scudo which had had its head gasket "fixed" with K-seal.  That was fine until I decided I wanted a functioning heater and replaced the heater matrix, whereupon it shat itself in spectacular fashion.

I think I’d be heading back there in the company of my largest and most patient friend, to gain a refund. Tough luck - does imagining sending the car back make you happy (implying that you are glad to be rid because it had flaws you didn’t want to live with) or sad (implying that maybe you should push for them to repair it so you can keep it)? 

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

I bought a Fiat Scudo which had had its head gasket "fixed" with K-seal.  That was fine until I decided I wanted a functioning heater and replaced the heater matrix, whereupon it shat itself in spectacular fashion.

I’m struggling to work out how the old heater matrix was holding this system together - maybe it was releasing little blobs of k-seal every so often which were continually sealing up the HG? 😂