Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I really need to sell some cars!

Starting with the CityRover.

Hoping for £100, but insulting offers will be given time of day. I would seriously advise against driving it away, even though I drove it here. I didn't know how rotten the suspension was at the time...

In other news, my unit flooded yesterday.

Eat0xjrWoAEbDaC?format=jpg&name=large

Mostly dried mud, but there was a fair pool under the Tercel. Not too much damage thankfully, but another reminder that I seriously need to get out of this place. As if the 90-minute drive to get there, the noisy neighbours and the lack of facilities weren't enough to make me want to move, this definitely forces my hand. Now desperately searching for a unit closer to home. That's watertight. 

I was there primarily to work on the Delica. The brakes are absolutely shagged - the pistons look like they've lived in the sea for a decade. 

EaulbhdXgAMFB3c?format=jpg&name=large

Sorry, no pics as I was struggling to maintain any semblance of joy. I've ordered one new rear caliper, because it's binding badly, despite my efforts. The front nearside was also binding but I've had more luck there. The caliper carrier was so rotten that I think it was jamming the pads up. I frantically cleaned everything up and now it doesn't get as hot as it did. Result. I've ordered one new caliper and a set of pads for the rear. The discs look pretty crusty, but I'm hoping I can get away with cleaning them up, as that's £87 spent already...

I just went and had a look through my usual places and usual methods for total unobtanium parts, and to be honest, i can't find these cityrover strut mounts either.

I have found complete strut assemblies in India, however...... Small problem.... This is pulled from the companies website when i was looking into delivery.....

spacer.png

It is not the top mounts that are needed. The spring seat is a separate part beneath the wheel arch, while the strut mount goes on top. Also, for extra LOLs, the strut tops are listed in several places yet don't actually seem to exist...

I think what has killed this one for me is the crushing realisation that I could go to a lot of trouble and expense, and only have a CityRover to show for it. It's quite jolly to buzz around in, but I think I really need to focus my attentions elsewhere. The fleet is in a right bloody state at the moment. I really have one working vehicle out of eight at the moment, nine from the weekend!

16 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

It is not the top mounts that are needed. The spring seat is a separate part beneath the wheel arch, while the strut mount goes on top. Also, for extra LOLs, the strut tops are listed in several places yet don't actually seem to exist...

I think what has killed this one for me is the crushing realisation that I could go to a lot of trouble and expense, and only have a CityRover to show for it. It's quite jolly to buzz around in, but I think I really need to focus my attentions elsewhere. The fleet is in a right bloody state at the moment. I really have one working vehicle out of eight at the moment, nine from the weekend!

I think you have made the right choice. You have ticked the box by owning one, improved it (rear wiper, wheel trims and a hub nut sticker). Time for someone else to take it on

i could be wrong here, but surely it's 'Just' a spring mount and one off another car could fit onto the strut, as long as it's the same width as the spring?

A look at an indica diagram and it looks like a pretty boggo spring retainer cap that you could just stick all the old cityrover stuff on top of.

Problem there though is getting caps you know for sure would fit. Trial and error and probably not worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was watching the sad sale video on it

and made me wonder if it is of any use to @OliD-E? I know he has a City Rover perhaps he would like a second? :) 

or it could be used as a parts donor to keep his first going  if it was sadly unrepairable (or vice versa!)

That's not a bad shout actually...Good idea tagging them.  Would be a nice way to keep it "in the fold" so to speak.

Easy for me to say since I am 18000 miles away in Australia, but there is a nice condition  41.000 mile Cityrover with head issues for sale on ebay in Abertillery in Wales also:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Rover-City-Rover-1-4-Select/164225988706?hash=item263ca1b862:g:hVsAAOSwNSxVByec

You could probably make one nice car from both these cars for not a lot of money and have a spares car to call upon should you need it. 

Steve

This doesn't matter to you as you're not keeping the CityRover. But whoever the next owner is who ISN'T going to scrap it, you might be as well to hack off the strut top mountings so that you could use a more readily available part. At least the next time they go it'd be easier to find a part to keep it going.

But with this there's obviously engineering involved, welding, angle grinders, oh my etc.

11 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The spring seat is a separate part beneath the wheel arch, while the strut mount goes on top.

Ah, I see I misunderstood the problem. Ok, Howmanyleft says there are still 536 taxed CityRovers, compared to say, 100 Skoda Favorits - they aren't really endangered yet, so I get the idea that letting this one die, won't actually be a big loss. It's not a Renault 14.

How about donating it to charity?  The either scrap or auction them after they take it by the looks of things. 

Maybe a bit of background on the charity that takes it,  Looks like you can pick which one to donate too.

I'm just thinking that might make a more positive video for you to end the car with.

Giveacar.co.uk

Collection Locations doesn't seem to be an issue.  I Assume local scrappys sign up they come and collect it and give what they would have given you to the charity you've choose,  then they break or sell the car as they normally would. 

14 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was watching the sad sale video on it

and made me wonder if it is of any use to @OliD-E? I know he has a City Rover perhaps he would like a second? :) 

or it could be used as a parts donor to keep his first going  if it was sadly unrepairable (or vice versa!)

Mines going aswell so sadly im out

1 minute ago, OliD-E said:

Mines going aswell so sadly im out

Aww LOL

51 minutes ago, rantingYoof said:

£1.50 per ticket roffle?

that would be amusing

could always donate it to the FoD as a field car to keep the field bikes company? :mrgreen:

(or is that the role my Invacar is currently playing? LOL)

5 hours ago, Andyrew said:

How about donating it to charity?  The either scrap or auction them after they take it by the looks of things. 

Maybe a bit of background on the charity that takes it,  Looks like you can pick which one to donate too.

I'm just thinking that might make a more positive video for you to end the car with.

What charity is going to want a fucked City Rover ?

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I sadly suspect location is going to be the issue there. I think I'll pick any nice bits of it and send it off for scrap unless someone steps up in the next week or so.

Kill it in some entertaining way on youtube, some bloke in America put syrup in an engine instead of engine oil, and apparently made over $5000 in revenue from the ten minute video.

1 minute ago, Andyrew said:

According to the website about 1600 charities across the uk, or you can choose to support local. 

Scrap car has value, charity want money. Not a difficult concept. 

Screenshot_20200618-161816.thumb.png.c18856a341a3080031ae08d89c5a449a.png

Ok, just thought they wouldn't want the hassle of moving it.