Velocity and Satisfaction - The AS Vel Satis.

BorniteIdentity

As some of you may have already seen over on the For Sale forum, somehow I managed to win @barefoot's Renault Vel Satis.  This is a remarkable outcome, seeing as I didn't actually buy any tickets for it.  @loserone clearly identified how much these things terrify me, and bought me two randoms.  Normally, at this juncture, I'd be overwhelmed with gratitude.  After all, it's a free car.  But it's also a remarkably fragile french land whale, constructed almost entirely from unobtainium, which answers a question that nobody asked.  I have five cars here, one out on long term loan and two jobs.  I got the mother of all bollockings from Mrs Identity; unjustly seeing as I didn't participate in the raffle and I need this like a married man needs a second cock.

Oh, and I've just realised the road tax is a kidney per year.

Notwithstanding, I intend to run the car until the precise moment something breaks - at which stage I will raffle it off for charity.

Firstly, does anyone fancy bringing this down from the land of 'cobs' and 'ducks' to my place in Cambridge?  @Ohdearme did come up with a scheme, but I'm not sure if timings will work out (perhaps they will).  I'm happy to go myself - but if someone wants a day out with it then I can cover expenses (my train and petrol would be about £50) and run you back to the station in a Ford Sierra bASe.

Don't worry if it doesn't work out.  I'm just keen to get it out of Barefoot's way, and start the adventure nightmare of VEL SHARTis ownership tenancy.

NB: It's Castle Donnington to Cambridge, effectively.

(Reposted in the right forum - duh!)

If a more local (to either location) shiter steps up it probably makes more sense for them to do this (it’s 3 hours from Gloucester to EMP and 4 hours from Cambridge to Gloucester, haven’t looked at how long the drive is) but I am willing to have a go if you are cool with me grabbing it one weekend and bringing it to you the next or whatever so that i don’t spend an entire weekend on trains / driving. 

6 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Pretty tempted to deliver this just to have a go. Have trade plates. 

Would need to see how much trains would be etc.  Where’s the nearest station - east mids pkwy?

If only someone would meet you in Chester*,  buy the Vectra for a great price** and take you to Chester station to catch a train to Pkwy (whatever that is). If only.

*But not on a Sunday 

**A terrible price

Right. I was supposed to get this earlier this afternoon. Told the wife, who then reminded me my son had a birthday party to attend. Seriously, all feckin weekend doing stuff for others - and no playtime. 

I’m now...err... fucked.

Can anyone help get this out of Barefoot’s way on my behalf please? I’m desperate not to miss out - but I’m doing 14 straight days at work now and have zero free time. 

Even a swap involving someone leaving a car somewhere on the East Coast Mainline for me and then heading onto Barefoot’s to keep the Vel Shartis may work. 

Any help much appreciated on this. 

I shall have a look on my insurance (I’m pretty sure I’m covered as long as there’s proper insurance on it but my policy has just renewed so I better check first). If so, it can be something to do for me in the next couple of days.

Edit: yup, still covered third party as long as there is other insurance on the car in question. Let me know if you want me to help.

I shall have a look on my insurance (I’m pretty sure I’m covered as long as there’s proper insurance on it but my policy has just renewed so I better check first). If so, it can be something to do for me in the next couple of days.

Edit: yup, still covered third party as long as there is other insurance on the car in question. Let me know if you want me to help.
Happy to offer a lift to Donnington if needed...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Sounds like a test drive to me ?

Righto lads.  I'm really grateful for the offers of help.  Sadly, nothing perfect has come up yet (not that it has any right to) because

• I was hoping to stick this just on a day policy for insurance
  • I can't help AT ALL with delivery due to work (not even to run someone back to a station)
  • Insurance is proving very prohibitive as a long term prospect.

There's a chance my work will finish early on Friday, offering a chance to collect it myself.  Failing that we have two options.

1. I swap it NOW with someone - I take something classic insurable and you head on to get the Vel Satis
  2. We redraw on Saturday.  New tickets at £2 each with the money going to charity.  

If we have to redraw, I'm keen to have new numbers - using the previous set could, once again, result in inconvenience for poor old Barefoot.

This sort of fucking about isn't my usual style - but the timing literally couldn't have been worse.

1 minute ago, w00dy said:

Sadly I can't help with a collection, since I'd love a shot in a Vel Satis, but I would be up for a ticket or two if you roffled it again (£2  a ticket seems too low though)

I can't really justify a big ticket price because

A) I may have won - but haven't actually collected

2) I'd need it to sell very quickly

D) We're just looking for a charitable donation.

Hopefully I can fetch it on Friday if work let me off the hook for a few hours, failing that we must resort to another of the plans so that Barefoot can get his driveway back.