Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

I'm replacing the engine on a 2004 Peugeot Partner van. Im ditching the hateful.DW8 and putting a 1.9XUD in it.

On the exhaust manifold there is this pointless looking thing bolted on. IMG_20181128_150426.jpg

What is the point of it? I've seen it on quite a few cars but never really questioned it

You ought to post more pictures of your engine swap, love anything like that.

• Like 1

Question for any BMW geeks out there: can anybody tell me what flavour of locking wheel nut key I need to undo this?

IMG_20181202_123029.jpg

It's off the Rover 75 but is a BMW fitment. It looks to me like it could be an 051 but then I look at other patterns and think it could be those as well. The locking wheel nut key which came with the car isn't even close - helpfully* that doesn't have a number on it.

The alternative is to buy a complete set of keys - 45 quid on the slow boat from China, so not the end of the world but an expense I'd rather avoid if I can.

Loosen all the others and drive in tight circles until it comes undone.

To what extent can aging suspension be compensated for by tracking? My front wheels are wearing on the outside edge very noticeably. No other symptoms. Have rotated the wheels for now. Trying to keep spending under control on this particular vehicle.

If you have the wheel nut code or even the remains of the nut key tool you can buy replacements.

So you can be arse raped by main dealers and for the new chocolate key to do the same again

I whinged and complained like Billy -ho to Hastings, made every threat in the book and finally, got the cancelation charge waived! They do cancel it but you have to escalate it quite a way.

Can you ask them to change the vehicle to a Tesla, or some other similarly uninsurable vehicle, in order that they choose to offer to cancel the policy for you.

If you have the wheel nut code or even the remains of the nut key tool you can buy replacements.

I don't have the nut code sadly.  I have a wheel nut key, which is intact but is the wrong one for the nuts.

The rest of the wheel nuts weren't stupidly tight, so I'm hoping that if I can get an adequate grip on the locking nuts with something they'll wind off fairly easily.

Welding a nut on sounds worth a go. If I'd had my Aldi inverter welder in those days it would have been worth fishing it out of the shed to save drilling.

If you're not lucky enough to have a super Aldi stick welder to hand, the McGard key features a nice central hole ideal for aligning a drill.

Can you open maintenance free batteries, and if so how? I have several that charge but need a top up

some have a flat plastic ‘cap’ that goes across all cells that can be prized out. If not then you can carefully drill a hole above each cell and put a grommet in after.

Car doesn't idle/misfires when up to temp and at low revs (mutually inclusive conditions).

Is the head warped?

I'd expect signs of OMGHGF if the head was warping. That sounds more ignition/fuelling.

I'd expect signs of OMGHGF if the head was warping. That sounds more ignition/fuelling.

It recently did HGF, replaced it.

I was thinking fuel.

I'm trying to work out whether to flog the Rover or break it. I don't really have the space but the wheels and interior would probably net £300.

My friend is looking at a car tonight, but the guy selling says it has no V5, she will have to apply for one. He is a trader and doesn't have the V5 because it was a part exchange... that's not usual surely? He also says she is ok to drive it because its still taxed, which also isn't right is it?

I think it sounds dodgy. 

What do you guys think? Grab it or RUN AWAY?

My friend is looking at a car tonight, but the guy selling says it has no V5, she will have to apply for one. He is a trader and doesn't have the V5 because it was a part exchange... that's not usual surely? He also says she is ok to drive it because its still taxed, which also isn't right is it?

I think it sounds dodgy. 

Personally I'd run away unless I knew the seller personally. A dealer normally has to fill in a section of the V5C to say the car is in the hands of a trader.

Question for any BMW geeks out there: can anybody tell me what flavour of locking wheel nut key I need to undo this?

attachicon.gifIMG_20181202_123029.jpg

It's off the Rover 75 but is a BMW fitment.  It looks to me like it could be an 051 but then I look at other patterns and think it could be those as well.  The locking wheel nut key which came with the car isn't even close - helpfully* that doesn't have a number on it.

The alternative is to buy a complete set of keys - 45 quid on the slow boat from China, so not the end of the world but an expense I'd rather avoid if I can.

The BMW spline type lock keys are about £8 from the BMW dealer, they keep a full set as reference when you bring the car then order the needed one. Next day delivery when I've needed them,

• Like 2

I think it sounds dodgy.

Possibly got a logbook loan out on it?

So the Rover of Doom is about to run out of MOT.  When I MOT'd the 45 a couple of months ago I had to buy it a cat as under the new regs it needs one for the test as it was fitted with one from the factory.

The 45 was 2002, the RoD is 1998.  Will I need to buy it a cat as well (or at least a de-cat pipe which looks like a cat) or does that rule only apply to post-2001 CO2-bollocks cars?

So the Rover of Doom is about to run out of MOT. When I MOT'd the 45 a couple of months ago I had to buy it a cat as under the new regs it needs one for the test as it was fitted with one from the factory.

The 45 was 2002, the RoD is 1998. Will I need to buy it a cat as well (or at least a de-cat pipe which looks like a cat) or does that rule only apply to post-2001 CO2-bollocks cars?

Will it pass emissions with no cat ?

My 1995 Astra wouldn't (it was close though)

When I asked my tame MOT tester about a similar thing I was informed that I would need a cat for my 1992 Alfa, as it had one from the factory … Even though they weren't a requirement until 1994, if it had one from the factory it should still be there.

Can any of the testers on here confirm this is true?

When I asked my tame MOT tester about a similar thing I was informed that I would need a cat for my 1992 Alfa, as it had one from the factory … Even though they weren't a requirement until 1994, if it had one from the factory it should still be there.

Is that the same for a dizzler though? 

It's always passed the emissions sans cat.  So did the 45 in fact.