New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hello all!

And greetings from Finland -- the land where old German and Swedish cars are dragged to die, and Norwegian chrome(!) abounds.

I found here via HubNut's Youtube videos, which appears to be in line with recent trends. I was pondering what universally forsaken chod to replace my slowly dying Nubira with (see below), and happened to stumble on his Citroen C5 drive video. I might fancy an estate C5 next, actually. Everyone seems to hate them.

What originally pushed me over to bangernomics/autoshiteism, though, was an utterly hopeless 2005 Renault Grand Scenic with a 1.6 petrol engine I bought around 2010. It was the newest car with least mileage I had ever owned, and it turned out to be just this nightmare of stupid design flaws. Highlights include:

- A self-destructing VVT mechanism apparently made of cheese: it implodes every 60k km. It will start making this nasty grinding noise when starting, and cause the engine to stall in idle. When it gets bad enough, the car won't start at all. Fixing it is basically a cambelt job with the cost of replacing the mechanism added on top.

- Stupid VVT solenoid that will randomly stay on and drain the battery overnight. I read about someone wiring a light bulb in series with the solenoid and putting it on the dash to alert him of when the solenoid wouldn't shut off. Chodtastic.

- Horrible electric parking brake. What a stupid design. A joke really, if it wasn't so expensive to replace.

- Stupid instrument cluster that, without fail, will fail.

After ridding myself of the Renault, I promised myself to a) make do with basic chod from now on, B) never again buy another Renault, and c) have at least two cars at all times for redundancy. This strategy has more or less worked (in that I've definitely needed the redundancy!)

The vehicles that replaced the Renault were:

-  a 2000 Toyota Yaris Verso 1.5 petrol with 250k km on the clock. Great car, drove it 40k km without any problems, until one fine day it just lost all compression. Guess the timing chain jumped. To the scrappers it went. Shame. No rust anywhere.

- a 2003 Hyundai Trajet 2.0 petrol auto with 235k km on the clock. This is still on the driveway with 275k km on the clock. Had to have a head job done when the cambelt snapped 2k km over the replacement interval.  Already had a new belt and accessories in the boot. Wonderful, but so it goes. Swapped a strut top mount and welded a couple of holes in the sills and rear lower coil spring mounts for the last MOT. Also swapped a crusty and leaking transmission cooling line with some flexible hose.

After the Yaris died, I needed another banger for redundancy, and settled on a 2004 Daewoo Nubira, as it seemed like a car no one likes, which of course makes them cheap. It drives surprisingly well, but alas, my test drive was too short, so when I had made the purchase and got the car up to temp on the first drive, the oil light started flickering on idle. Grah! So, I swapped the big end bearings, but it didn't cure the problem completely. No rod knock as of yet, but I suspect the engine will not last very long (knocking* on wood). The Nubira has taught me the fine art of servicing brake calipers, as the piston had seized in one after prolonged sitting. Bought a new piston, which proved to be a tenth of a millimetre too fat. Buggers! Cleaned old one and slapped it back.

In addition to these, I also have some two-wheeled chod - namely a Suzuki XF 650 Freewind. That one has a rattling fifth gear I only noticed after I had bought it, so it's presently waiting for me to tear into it.

So, apparently the takeaway from all of this is that I'm useless at buying cars and motorcycles. If nothing else, I hope this will provide me with stories to share on here for the enjoyment of all.

Some vital statistics of myself:

- 40 on the clock

- 3 kids, a wife and a dog. Have taught the family to embrace the chod.

- I brew my own beer

Thank you Twiggy for the warm welcome. Will be sure to show up with a couple of kegs of some tasty stout... provided that border control doesn't stop me in my tracks first!

While I'm rambling, I might as well include some stories of the first automobiles I ever owned. I started my motoring journey with a 1985 or something Datsun Cherry 1.5 petrol in 1998 or thereabouts. Bought it from a friend* who raved about all the things he had fixed on it. It burned oil like there's no tomorrow, leaving behind a waft of bluish smoke wherever it went. And the first time I went to change tires on it, the jack would rise but the car would not. That taught me to brace and support older and crustier vehicles while jacking so that the forces are spread over a larger area on the chassis and sill. An important skill, if there is one. I actually got the Cherry to pass the MOT once, too, but I suppose it had more to do with the inspector feeling sorry for my young broke self. He would spread the separated door panels and peer into the door from below, and then glance at me.

Eventually the car had had enough of this life and let me know with one of the rear shocks inviting itself into the cabin area soon after it started running with 3 cylinders only. Amazingly, someone still gave me money for it and drove it away.

The second car I had was a pass-it-down Volkswagen (I guess that makes it a Vauxhall for most folks on here? Edit: no it doesn't, it's no Opel!) Jetta 1.6 petrol from my old man. That one was in sturdy shape, but it leaked every type of fluid it could, except for maybe battery fluid and washer fluid. The power steering rack wasn't suited for Finnish winters, and the gaskets would leak PS fluid when the temp was below minus 20 degrees. Additionally it leaked oil. And coolant. And brake fluid. I remember topping up the transmission fluid once, too. It was fabulous, really. Oh well, a nice car otherwise.

The Jetta was replaced with a Peugeot 406 break 2.0 petrol. That was beautiful car. Drove very well, while being spacious and refined. Traded it in for the infamous Grand Scenic due to the need for more seats and air con. Still kicking myself for letting it go.

So there. I guess that's one of the reasons I seem to have a soft spot for PSA vehicles.

Ah, one more anecdote springs to mind about the Jetta mentioned above... (sorry for spamming the thread, I will stop after this one!)

After claiming ownership, I quickly learned that the Jetta, being a 1989 petrol model, came factory-equipped with the infamous Fart Can, which soon began to rear its ugly head.

Ok, it's most likely not referred to as a "fart can" outside Finland, but this is just a matter of language.. everyone still faces the consequences. Anyway, the fart can of course refers to the highly refined Pierburg carburettor (the awful, over-engineered mess of vacuum lines, wax thermostats, solenoid valves, coolant lines and whatnot) responsible for feeding the engine. And the reason it's called a fart can is because in Finnish "Pier Burg" takes the form "pieru purkki" (pier-pieru=fart, burg-purkki=can).

So there. I had to replace the wax thermostat in the fartcan after the carb wouldn't come off high idle anymore due to the wax getting stiff with age. The carb was surprisingly decent despite the complexity, though.

Good times.

Ah, one more anecdote springs to mind about the Jetta mentioned above... (sorry for spamming the thread, I will stop after this one!) After claiming ownership, I quickly learned that the Jetta, being a 1989 petrol model, came factory-equipped with the infamous Fart Can, which soon began to rear its ugly head. Ok, it's most likely not referred to as a "fart can" outside Finland, but this is just a matter of language.. everyone still faces the consequences. Anyway, the fart can of course refers to the highly refined Pierburg carburettor (the awful, over-engineered mess of vacuum lines, wax thermostats, solenoid valves, coolant lines and whatnot) responsible for feeding the engine. And the reason it's called a fart can is because in Finnish "Pier Burg" takes the form "pieru purkki" (pier-pieru=fart, burg-purkki=can). So there. I had to replace the wax thermostat in the fartcan after the carb wouldn't come off high idle anymore due to the wax getting stiff with age. The carb was surprisingly decent despite the complexity, though. Good times.

Welcome.

Weren't you in Leningrad Cowboys at one time (like everyone in Finland)?

https://rutube.ru/video/cd33797f2a50db5a35cae8f73bbe6c41/

Thank you, castros_bro.

Regretfully I have not had the honor to perform alongside Leningrad Cowboys, but like any proper Finn, I do have an actual link with the band: a relative of mine installed a reverse-osmosis water filtration system in a cabin belonging to a previous member of the band.

So I guess that basically makes me a member, too!

Hello!

Kind of new for post count, been here a while as an onlooker.

Based in Kent, had my fair share of shite in the past 5/6 years I've been driving, 405's, 306, Xantia, C15D, K11's. Notable purchases being a MK1 Eunos which I loved and a pre-facelift '86 740 Saloon which I adored but had a drinking problem.

Volvo is now resting easy in Ireland on Irish plates, gone to a nice chap. MX5 was smashed up in field and continues to be by 8 year olds drifting

Current project/love is a '72 Hillman Hunter, had it for 2 years now and slowly getting bits for it, planning paint etc. Learning mechanical bits as I go. Runs and drives fine, had a head gasket a few months back, had some flaws but I write them off as Character. I hate the stickers, but I have new doors and some paint.

Nrd4Bw8.jpg

"No, it's not a ford" & "Yes, your dad probably did have one" are my top catchphrases

Currently looking for a cheap diesel eco daily as a job change soonish means I'll be covering more miles.

That's about it.

Everyone here seems lovely, love the banter and community feel and nice that people appreciate old pre 2000 chod apart from me. Even weirder I do being mid-20's and working in IT, loving technology...

Nice ford Corrina mate. My uncle had one of those but it was a diesel.

Etc.

Booo. Thinking of getting a sticker made that says "No, it's not a Ford.."

welcome to another Kentish shiter. We're a growing contingent in this crazy little brown world.

Hooray! Strength in numbers. Together we could probably cobble together a working car.

Hello!

Kind of new for post count, been here a while as an onlooker.

Based in Kent, had my fair share of shite in the past 5/6 years I've been driving, 405's, 306, Xantia, C15D, K11's. Notable purchases being a MK1 Eunos which I loved and a pre-facelift '86 740 Saloon which I adored but had a drinking problem.

Volvo is now resting easy in Ireland on Irish plates, gone to a nice chap. MX5 was smashed up in field and continues to be by 8 year olds drifting

Current project/love is a '72 Hillman Hunter, had it for 2 years now and slowly getting bits for it, planning paint etc. Learning mechanical bits as I go. Runs and drives fine, had a head gasket a few months back, had some flaws but I write them off as Character. I hate the stickers, but I have new doors and some paint.

Nrd4Bw8.jpg

"No, it's not a ford" & "Yes, your dad probably did have one" are my top catchphrases

Currently looking for a cheap diesel eco daily as a job change soonish means I'll be covering more miles.

That's about it.

Everyone here seems lovely, love the banter and community feel and nice that people appreciate old pre 2000 chod apart from me. Even weirder I do being mid-20's and working in IT, loving technology...

where in kent? and welcome

Hello shiters,

After about 6 months lurking and failing to manage to get on, I eventually made it!

Currently, my daily baby is Fleur, a 1988 five door 205, direct from the shiter community. I have nothing else as I am broke, busy, and father Tickman would refuse to let me use his workshop to store any more crap in.

Look forward to following your projects

-Chuck4925312380abbff7b7cb6b2c652642b7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Evening everyone, thanks for letting me sign up.

I'm apparently officially a "weirdo who likes rubbish cars" and having seen many mentions of this forum online, I thought I might fit in round here, especially after watching Ian/DollyWobbler/Hub-nuts video of members trying to start an old green godess for no discernable reason, that's pretty much me and my best mate's idea of a great way to spend time.

I've had 53 cars and 8 bikes that I can remember, which I'm told (by fools) is far too many for a 38 year old, oldest being a series one land rover (never should have sold it) newest being a '09 Civic (now sold due to it being very good and horribly effective at being a car)

Currently owning a far from boring but broken (again) P100 pickup. 

Currently driving (because the pickup is broken) my better half's family thruxter Vectra. 

Currently coveting a local Hillman.

Currently thinking Roffles and collection capers seem like they need to be a part of my life.

So that's a bit about me too

I'm apparently officially a "weirdo who likes rubbish cars" and having seen many mentions of this forum online, I thought I might fit in round here, especially after watching Ian/DollyWobbler/Hub-nuts video of members trying to start an old green godess for no discernable reason, that's pretty much me and my best mate's idea of a great way to spend time.

I've had 53 cars and 8 bikes that I can remember, which I'm told (by fools) is far too many for a 38 year old, oldest being a series one land rover (never should have sold it) newest being a '09 Civic (now sold due to it being very good and horribly effective at being a car)

Currently driving (because the pickup is broken) my better half's family thruxter Vectra. 

Currently thinking Roffles and collection capers seem like they need to be a part of my life.

Welcome along.

Welcome along, roffles is definitely a thing to get into, can't describe the feeling of angst, fear and excitement that a draw brings.. and so far the feeling of disappointment when I don't win, also to he recommended the Cannock auction trips, enjoyed my first one last week, great to meet some of the chaps & chapesses..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Welcome along, roffles is definitely a thing to get into, can't describe the feeling of angst, fear and excitement that a draw brings.. and so far the feeling of disappointment when I don't win, also to he recommended the Cannock auction trips, enjoyed my first one last week, great to meet some of the chaps & chapesses..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Cannock auction trips? Is this a thread I can look at?

Hi everyone, just to introduce myself and my shed, a 2007 Focus 1.8TDCI Estate that I bought for £490 last month. There's a few jobs that need doing but I'm really pleased with it.

I really wish second hand cars are that cheap here in Spain. I would have to pay around 3000€ or more for that. Even with a tar burning engine

I really wish second hand cars are that cheap here in Spain. I would have to pay around 3000€ or more for that. Even with a tar burning engine

It was from a home trader that had taken it as part exchange and just wanted back what it owed him, its got 174000 miles on the clock which is partly why it was cheap.