What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Well, after spending the last for-what-seems-like-ages bumming around & going on countless holidays & watching my savings go down at an alarming rate, I'm finally starting a new job tomorrow (I think this is the right thread as opposed to the Grumpy thread). Landed myself a position with the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health on their Web Development team, mainly looking after their web content & dealing with user queries.

Quite looking forward to getting back into the rat-race if the truth be known. Also looking forward to rolling up in the Simca to the delight/horror/confusion/disgust (delete as applicable) of my new colleagues.

Actually, I think Autoshite helped me land the job, oddly! I needed to emphasise in the interview that I'm in no way a teccy type person & have limited experience in maintaining web content in a previous role, but I did start prattling on about the fact I have my own classic car website etc etc which really impressed the interviewer, esp when I told her we get over 3million hits a month (true)....

Did they not pick up on the fact that out of the 3,000,000 visitors we get per month only about 2 of them sign up? :lol:

Congrats on the job!

Small grin, but today I went to weigh a bit of old junk at the bridge. Just an old cat and a couple of batteries. Drove the Volvo in, they took the stuff, then I got talking to one of the guys who owns the place, as he took a bit of interest in the 21 year old chod I drove in there. He took me up to one of their units, and showed me some of his collection.

Audi Coupe Quattro, two Bugatti replica kits, which were much nicer then they sound, a couple of crusty MGBs and a Cosie powered Capti, which looked completley standard from the outside. He did seem rasther disappointed, though, when I didn't want to buy any of them. Then again at £12k for the ugatti reps or the Quattro and £6k for the Capper, they were a bit rich.

Came away thirty-odd quid better off for the scrap, though :D:D

Been back to Llandegla and this time made it all the way to the top without having to get off and push! Got past a few people on fancy bikes going up and absolutely nailed it coming back down, flying past a couple of sort of 'professional' looking riders. Next time we're going on a Saturday morning and will attempt to get round twice. For a second hand £70 bike with shit brakes I'm well happy, even though I'd finished the course before I realised the front suspension could be adjusted so I didn't have to try and break my back :roll:

Well, I'm off abroad in a couple of weeks, only for 10 days mind to visit the old man. Sadly, instead of taking the coach as I usually do, I'll be flying in, so no stop off in London for shite spotting.

I cant wait to get there to just chill out and forget life for a bit.

Talking Of farting around in London... spent far too long cycling around there yesterday after I got hideously lost trying to find Victoria station...

Hmmm, reminds me of last year. Took the coach to London Victoria, had to wait a couple of hours for the next one so took the time to to do a bit of shite spotting around Victoria/Belgravia/Sloane Square but to get lost ending up in Belgravia Square, I had literally 5 mins to run back to Victoria Coach Station once I realised I got the timings wrong, I missed my coach but thankfully managed to get onto another one. Just.

I think when I come back I'll have to head down to London in the old Rover sometime.

Congratulations to the Management for the fantastic job news. I have another interview tomorrow, but I somehow don't see myself getting the job. Which may be related to previous experience. Not work experience, mind- experience of interviews. But I am grinning.

IMAG0045.jpg

Not bad for a 23 year old car. With a 2.9 litre petrol engine. And a 4-speed automatic 'box.

Not grin exactly but a heartening tale, especially for someone like me with a rather jaundiced view of taxi drivers.

A sweet lesson on patience.

A NYC Taxi driver wrote:

I arrived at the address and honked the horn. After waiting a few minutes I honked again. Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift I thought about just driving away, but instead I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.. 'Just a minute', answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940's movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets.

There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard

box filled with photos and glassware.

'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing', I told her.. 'I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.'

'Oh, you're such a good boy, she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, 'Could you drive

through downtown?'

'It's not the shortest way,' I answered quickly..

'Oh, I don't mind,' she said. 'I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.

I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have any family left,' she continued in a soft voice..'The doctor says I don't have very long.' I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

'What route would you like me to take?' I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired.Let's go now'.

We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.

They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

'How much do I owe you?' She asked, reaching into her purse.

'Nothing,' I said

'You have to make a living,' she answered.

'There are other passengers,' I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug.She held onto me tightly.

'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,' she said. 'Thank you.'

I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light.. Behind me, a door shut.It was the sound of the closing of a life..

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day,I could hardly talk.What if that woman had gotten an angry driver,or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

[snopes says it is true]

3,000,000 hits a month? That's a bit bleedin' previous innit? I thought it was just us lot on here rambling about chod.

As previously established by Mr P Weasel, and subsequently modified by Mr D Hirst, "Autoshite is an international hub of great activity, cunningly disguised as a dozen blokes posting up photos of Talbot Solaras. Also a girl."

:mrgreen:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true

London 2012 organisers have apologised and blamed human error for Wednesday's flag mix-up when South Korea's flag appeared alongside North Korea's women's football team on stadium screens as players warmed up before their opening match.

hahaha! please continue to make a complete bollocks of the olympics you guys, it's way more entertaining to watch large scale fuckups than it is to watch sport!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/26/london-2012-north-korea-flag?newsfeed=true
London 2012 organisers have apologised and blamed human error for Wednesday's flag mix-up when South Korea's flag appeared alongside North Korea's women's football team on stadium screens as players warmed up before their opening match.

hahaha! please continue to make a complete bollocks of the olympics you guys, it's way more entertaining to watch large scale fuckups than it is to watch sport!

I'd like to nominate Greece and Turkey, India and Pakistan or Iran and Iraq as future flag mixups. Oh, and refering to a few Scots as English should round things off nicely

This thread continues to make me grin, from the tiny instruments, to the unfeasible MPGs and the heart warming stories.

Today has been an awesome day. I felt in a mood to be neighbourly and finally decided to pluck up the courage (because he's a good looking guy, and I'm shy sometimes, it's taken me this long to go and say hello) to ask my neighbour-over-the-hedge if they'd like me to trim their side which I can't reach from my side. I met the lady of the house, whose name escapes me, who was astonished at such generosity but invited me to go at the hedge with my hand shears anyway. Just as I was finishing off, her partner emerged from the house pulling on some gardening gloves and we got nattering. Turns out that he's interested in the local wildlife and getting his garden looking good, so a provisional plant-swap sort of a deal has been set up along with me offering some tips about how to get the best out of his rhubarb (stop giggling at the back). I'm hoping this is the start of me finally getting to know my neighbours a bit better and becoming part of this community properly, all this work on improving what were scruffy gardens that myself and the nearby neighbours are doing certainly looks a lot like we're gentrifying the place.

I feel nauseatingly positive about life and everything today, I'll stop here so I don't make anyone ill.

This thread continues to make me grin, from the tiny instruments, to the unfeasible MPGs and the heart warming stories.

Today has been an awesome day. I felt in a mood to be neighbourly and finally decided to pluck up the courage (because he's a good looking guy, and I'm shy sometimes, it's taken me this long to go and say hello) to ask my neighbour-over-the-hedge if they'd like me to trim their side which I can't reach from my side. I met the lady of the house, whose name escapes me, who was astonished at such generosity but invited me to go at the hedge with my hand shears anyway. Just as I was finishing off, her partner emerged from the house pulling on some gardening gloves and we got nattering. Turns out that he's interested in the local wildlife and getting his garden looking good, so a provisional plant-swap sort of a deal has been set up along with me offering some tips about how to get the best out of his rhubarb (stop giggling at the back). I'm hoping this is the start of me finally getting to know my neighbours a bit better and becoming part of this community properly, all this work on improving what were scruffy gardens that myself and the nearby neighbours are doing certainly looks a lot like we're gentrifying the place.

I feel nauseatingly positive about life and everything today, I'll stop here so I don't make anyone ill.

Now that is odd, I was just thinking of asking my neighbour if I can trim her bush. Sadly I think the outcome may be slightly different to the one you've had but would probably still involve shears.

Hah! Also, I think I forgot to mention, but another thing that put me in a good mood was landing a job interview when I called the number provided. So next Thursday I'll be off to Alfreton in the Princess to see if they want to hire me. Could be awesome.