What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

The bloke buying my car is sorry he hasn't been in contact but his grandad passed away. Fast forward one week later and he'll 'be in touch later as they're organising care for his grandad when he comes out of hospital'

I'm just waiting for Matthew (28 & 5/6ths) to show me where he lay.

I have just discovered two things.

One, old-ish Porsche Boxters are somewhat cheap-ish.

Two: They are cheaper to insure for me than a diesel 205.

I can see myself getting sick of one before it ever goes wrong. Perhaps this is a thing which needs to happen once I have my licence renewed.

The Norwegian Minister of Agriculture advises Norwegians to eat a lot of ice cream this summer. 

Norwegian Minister of Agriculture during the press conference bellow.

Screenshot2024-06-1013_08_28.png.a8d088b0fdf26a31bc8acb455fb2375a.png

• Like 3

Found these two little things (plus some siblings) whilst hacking back some old privet. Given that I hate gardening then this is the ideal excuse to slack off for a few weeks (then hope the parents start another brood :-) )
Interweb tells me these are Dunnocks (though I thought that was a place in Fife)

image.png.bfecad0f82de3301c182143aa7ed63ee.png

2 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Found these two little things (plus some siblings) whilst hacking back some old privet. Given that I hate gardening then this is the ideal excuse to slack off for a few weeks (then hope the parents start another brood :-) )
Interweb tells me these are Dunnocks (though I thought that was a place in Fife)

image.png.bfecad0f82de3301c182143aa7ed63ee.png

Promiscuous wife swapping Little brown jobs.

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

Little brown jobs.

image.jpg

Dat's them - we have them all around the house in every shrub. There's a pair six feet from the kitchen door that you can watch dashing in and out the greenery on mad feed cycles. (Lots of Cuckoos around the place too - none for the past week or ten days now though)

Also found a Pied Wagtail nest under a bit of quad towed kit that I have not used for a while - guess I'll leave that in situ for the moment. The nest is actually on the ground but there's no way a cat could squeeze through unless it dug the ground out. I'd bet a fox would do that though - maybe a Darwin Award for dat pair.

Wife swapping? Tried that. Got a C6.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Dat's them - we have them all around the house in every shrub. There's a pair six feet from the kitchen door that you can watch dashing in and out the greenery on mad feed cycles. (Lots of Cuckoos around the place too - none for the past week or ten days now though)

Also found a Pied Wagtail nest under a bit of quad towed kit that I have not used for a while - guess I'll leave that in situ for the moment. The nest is actually on the ground but there's no way a cat could squeeze through unless it dug the ground out. I'd bet a fox would do that though - maybe a Darwin Award for dat pair.

Wife swapping? Tried that. Got a C6.

I can recommend the free Cornell university bird app called MERLIN. It’s superb at identifying bird song.

Popped into Halfords (!) this evening to get a rear wiper blade for my Focus.. I've previously upgraded it with a Volvo C30 arm because the standard Ford one is small and coverage is shite, and I couldn't get a decent arm/blade combo that actually applied enough pressure to the screen after trying about 4 different types. 

Fitted a C30 arm and it works a treat, it covers significantly more of the rear screen and clears it well. A very worthwhile upgrade 

But now came the time to get a new blade for it. 

Instead of trying to explain "Volvo C30" to the factors when they INSIST on a reg number, it was only going to end up with me receiving about 5 wrong blades anyway, I thought I'd pop into Halfords and see what I could find on the shelf. 

Indeed I found a match, so took it to the till. 

Immediately got pounced upon: "can I interest you in fitting?" 

No thank you, [amusingly I was in my workwear so a bit of common sense would have dictated I'm handy with things like fitting wipers 😂

He was clearly a bit miffed that I'd declined his service so conversation as follows:

Him - "What car are you buying it for?" 

Me - "It's to go on my 06 Focus, I've previously fitted a Volvo C30 wiper arm to it."

He trots off to the wiper blade area without me asking, and comes back with another blade which he's decided is suitable based on the info I've given him about the car (2006 Focus) 

Now there's a bit of backwards and forwards because he's telling me the blade I've picked up isn't compatible with a 2006 Focus so it won't fit... I try to explain that a Focus wiper blade isn't going to fit because the arm has been replaced... 

He's still not having any of it and suggests once again that I pay the £6 extra to have it fitted so that they can make sure I'm buying the correct wiper blade. 

I've told him that I've already gone on their website, searched for a rear wiper for a Volvo C30, matched it with the one attached to my "upgraded arm" so I'm already satisfied with the original one that I've picked up off the shelf 

At last he allows me to buy the original blade that I selected. 

Of course he takes great pleasure in saying "no returns on this once you've opened it and realized its the wrong one" 

Now that's annoyed me a bit. So I thought I'd play a game. I've paid for it, then gone outside, removed the blade from the car and brought it back in, opening the box of the new one to show him that they are both alike. 

I've rejoined the queue for the till, visibly clutching the old and new blade. He's clocked me holding both blades. He greets me with a smug grin, but before he had a chance to put me in my place I've demonstrated the fact that the old and new blades are identical, but thanks all the same for all the effort he's gone to in order for me to buy the right one 😂

He wasn't happy 😂

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Popped into Halfords (!) this evening to get a rear wiper blade for my Focus.. I've previously upgraded it with a Volvo C30 arm because the standard Ford one is small and coverage is shite, and I couldn't get a decent arm/blade combo that actually applied enough pressure to the screen after trying about 4 different types. 

Fitted a C30 arm and it works a treat, it covers significantly more of the rear screen and clears it well. A very worthwhile upgrade 

Instead of trying to explain "Volvo C30" to the factors when they INSIST on a reg number, it was only going to end up with me receiving about 5 wrong blades anyway, I thought I'd pop into Halfords and see what I could find on the shelf. 

No thank you, [amusingly I was in my workwear so a bit of common sense would have dictated I'm handy with things like fitting wipers 😂

He was clearly a bit miffed that I'd declined his service so conversation as follows:

Me - "It's to go on my 06 Focus, I've previously fitted a Volvo C30 wiper arm to it."

He trots off to the wiper blade area without me asking, and comes back with another blade which he's decided is suitable based on the info I've given him about the car (2006 Focus) 

Now there's a bit of backwards and forwards because he's telling me the blade I've picked up isn't compatible with a 2006 Focus so it won't fit... I try to explain that a Focus wiper blade isn't going to fit because the arm has been replaced... 

He's still not having any of it and suggests once again that I pay the £6 extra to have it fitted so that they can make sure I'm buying the correct wiper blade. 

I've told him that I've already gone on their website, searched for a rear wiper for a Volvo C30, matched it with the one attached to my "upgraded arm" so I'm already satisfied with the original one that I've picked up off the shelf 

Of course he takes great pleasure in saying "no returns on this once you've opened it and realized its the wrong one" 

Now that's annoyed me a bit. So I thought I'd play a game. I've paid for it, then gone outside, removed the blade from the car and brought it back in, opening the box of the new one to show him that they are both alike. 

I've rejoined the queue for the till, visibly clutching the old and new blade. He's clocked me holding both blades. He greets me with a smug grin, but before he had a chance to put me in my place I've demonstrated the fact that the old and new blades are identical, but thanks all the same for all the effort he's gone to in order for me to buy the right one 😂

He wasn't happy 😂

This is why I buy everything online now. Yes, it’s not on the registration but it’s what I want.

• Agree 2

Just now, richardmorris said:

This is why I buy everything online now. Yes, it’s not on the registration but it’s what I want.

It was £4.04 on their website with trade card, but £5.99 on the shelf in store, so £5.39 with trade card! I couldn't be bothered to faff around just to save a quid as I wanted it there and then but I wish I avoided the store entirely now

They've completely hashed up click and collect orders for me in the past as well, so that wouldn't have been any easier. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It was £4.04 on their website with trade card, but £5.99 on the shelf in store, so £5.39 with trade card! I couldn't be bothered to faff around just to save a quid as I wanted it there and then but I wish I avoided the store entirely now

They've completely hashed up click and collect orders for me in the past as well, so that wouldn't have been any easier. 

Mostly from the last time I wanted a battery for the 2cv and x1/9. They’re both 063 but not according to halfords or ECP.

2 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

He wasn't happy 😂

Why go there, tho?