What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Depends if the jury is full of self employed contractors who have ever been shafted.

Not guilty

Absolutely, or a jury featuring their partners or family.....

Surely he’ll do time for that, all for 600 quid.

People are crowd funding to reimburse him ffs.

That's a weeks wages, coming right after Christmas with bills to pay I can't say I'm surprised, their are far too many firms, both big and small, who will do their best to do it to as many subbies as they can get away with. Sooner or later it does backfire on them. One site was completely plastered and ready to be finished but they decided to not pay a lot of people, that night every bit of copper was ripped out and every wire cut off flush and the new kitchen walked. Would have cost a lot less just to pay people

Is the sport still going? The only paper that makes the viz look like a broad sheet.

No idea at all, I just got sent it on whatsapp.

Had to call up HMRC about my tax return yesterday after I'd lost my UTR number.  I registered as self-employed when I was asked to do some freelance at my full-time employer outside of my contract and paid at a much, much higher rate.  My manager didn't realise there had been a change in the law and it all had to go through my normal pay (and thus PAYE) so I've never actually earned anything extra that's taxable.

When I first called them, I got through to a human within seconds (after the robot took about 2 minutes of my time) who was pleasant, courteous and professional.  They assured me that even though I would submit my return late because the UTR would take 2 weeks to get to me (and I'd failed the security check on getting a new one over the phone because they had the wrong address for me in 2014!) that I wasn't to worry and that because I'd made contact with them, I could submit late without penalty.

Then I mentioned that I'd never actually made any money freelancing and they put me straight through to another department.  Who immediately told me that I didn't need to submit a self-assessment at all.

The best thing?  I actually made the second lady laugh on the phone.  It was genuinely friendly and she was chuckling at me describing my own mild incompetence.

What with the DVLA actually doing things quickly and HMRC laughing on the phone, is it that some government agencies are becoming mildly competent and good to telephone?!

Had to call up HMRC about my tax return yesterday after I'd lost my UTR number. I registered as self-employed when I was asked to do some freelance at my full-time employer outside of my contract and paid at a much, much higher rate. My manager didn't realise there had been a change in the law and it all had to go through my normal pay (and thus PAYE) so I've never actually earned anything extra that's taxable.

When I first called them, I got through to a human within seconds (after the robot took about 2 minutes of my time) who was pleasant, courteous and professional. They assured me that even though I would submit my return late because the UTR would take 2 weeks to get to me (and I'd failed the security check on getting a new one over the phone because they had the wrong address for me in 2014!) that I wasn't to worry and that because I'd made contact with them, I could submit late without penalty.

Then I mentioned that I'd never actually made any money freelancing and they put me straight through to another department. Who immediately told me that I didn't need to submit a self-assessment at all.

The best thing? I actually made the second lady laugh on the phone. It was genuinely friendly and she was chuckling at me describing my own mild incompetence.

What with the DVLA actually doing things quickly and HMRC laughing on the phone, is it that some government agencies are becoming mildly competent and good to telephone?!

Tip for anyone else in this situation - you can use Gov.uk Verify to log in to self assessment without your UTR using your passport and driving licence

I'm biased but a phone call to all the people depending on that money going into their accounts would take maybe half an hour, been there and done it and ended up going overdrawn myself subbing people enough money for the weekend.

Even if they had spoken to the guy on Monday when he was obviously trying to contact them would have made a difference.

You can't walk into a shop and buy food or put money on your electric meter with promises. A lot of people live week to week without having savings or credit cards.

You can't walk into a shop and buy food or put money on your electric meter with promises. A lot of people live week to week without having savings or credit cards.

I swore blind to myself that I would never ever get in a situation where I was in some else's pocket by ensuring there was always a little bit for a rainy day. Obviously, it is easier said than done, but being skint is miserable.

I swore blind to myself that I would never ever get in a situation where I was in some else's pocket by ensuring there was always a little bit for a rainy day. Obviously, it is easier said than done, but being skint is miserable.

I did something similar after being stitched up by my boss over a promotion. I set up a f*** you account where a put some money in every month by direct debit, so I'd miss it less.

It was hard at first but got easier as time went by as I vowed I'd never be in that position again without the ability to just resign - I'd a 6 month old baby and just moved into a new house so leaving wasn't really an option and the job market was shit at that time.

I hadn't submitted a self-assessment before, which was the issue with getting a UTR any other way. I had been issued one but lost it...

Gov.uk verify would still have worked for you but you wouldn’t have been able to dodge submitting a return so it seems it’s worked out well for you :D