The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 hours ago, trigger said:

I got my Dolomite back from the barn at the weekend after not seeing it for months, amazingly it fired straight up, even the battery was full charged and it drove back home perfectly.

I can't get over how good condition this 1850 is, everything works other than the speedo under reading which is a worry as i think i have have sped through a average speed camera on the A12 on the way home, (doing 60mph instead of a indicated 50mph 😒) There's no rust anywhere apart from the chassis that i stupidly crushed with a axle stand and there's no rattles or squeaks, amazing for a mid 70s BL car!

Again as i had the camera out i thought I'd take a load of photos!

IMG_4619.thumb.JPG.f2decc62a6e7e861dc867103b2131483.JPG

IMG_4626.thumb.JPG.fcfd23cf76c05692f2d416e6e1d99f8e.JPG

IMG_4622.thumb.JPG.7b632f06ec7fa32e17c70d24a06c52b9.JPG

IMG_4621.thumb.JPG.31c96f33e98b81be290003de0de0ee5e.JPG

IMG_4627.thumb.JPG.8008d8e59e1d758ad022b05a6378b6ab.JPG

IMG_4630.thumb.JPG.7537f0f601016232edf4461dff03fc31.JPG

IMG_4634.thumb.JPG.b52d1602767fa71abad9ad6ff5479d00.JPG

IMG_4631.thumb.JPG.720edaca7f4fa6d0f63330287c3b893e.JPG

IMG_4633.thumb.JPG.91120adee49fc3d5458d931b981d75a2.JPG

IMG_4636.thumb.JPG.0082f7378b1d1837e130db6af2a4e8f9.JPG

I wish my Sprint was this shiny! I didn't realise yours was an early Dolomite too (different grab handles amongst other things). 

I wonder if the 1850, like the early Sprint, had smaller wheel studs. I remember reading that the MET police had a habit of snapping them during hot pursuit and loosing a wheel! Later cars had thicker studs to solve this and often people upgrade theirs. It's something I've pondered doing on mine if/whenever I get it finished. 

Hopefully the gearbox saga is at an end. The 4 speed had a crunchy 3rd and 1st could be difficult. Didn't go totally smoothly as when on the way to the garage an injector pipe broke. Bollox!! Got to the garage. I have a few spare ones. Did I have them in the van? Of course not. They are in a locker in the motorhome. Rang a mate who came round in his Evoque, so I tried to not look like a hairdresser, to get the spares. Upshot is gearbox is spot on. Thank you @Ged. I sent off for gearbox seals, did they fit? Of course not so I'll have to see if the existing ones leak. Hoping not. So I am a reasonably content bunny.

Stopped for a steak bake and coffee from Greggs at Toddington Services today and spotted this in the car park, police commercial vehicle unit with what appears to be a portable axle weighing machine, the young lads in a sprinter speaking to plod didn't look overly impressed by it, but its back end was on its arse, so either over loaded or fucked.

20230208_133506.thumb.jpg.e694c834be4be60cb5ddb4c1c485b7c7.jpg

20230208_133504.thumb.jpg.daac19f696de103cac9747540b80455d.jpg

I ordered a set of Nankang tyres for the 2CV from Camskill and they were delivered today! I can’t wait to fit them… when I checked the date codes I found they’re 20 months old. Disappointing as I don’t expect to do huge miles and they’ll probably get replaced due to age rather than wearing out. 

40 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I ordered a set of Nankang tyres for the 2CV from Camskill and they were delivered today! I can’t wait to fit them… when I checked the date codes I found they’re 20 months old. Disappointing as I don’t expect to do huge miles and they’ll probably get replaced due to age rather than wearing out. 

A lot of tyres in unusual sizes are made in  batches and then stocked until the batch runs out. Any 2CV Nankang tyre you can buy will probably be around that old.

39 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Car shopping in the next few week/month tops when funds are sorted.

Question is what?

E10 fuel, autobox only (prefer proper auto no semi-auto,DSG,PowerShit etc)

As much an-car as possible, issue is budget of I presume at this point £2,500 max would prefer under. 

Moon on a stick?

MK2 Focus with a torque converter auto, job done and case closed :)

45 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Question is what?

As much an-car as possible, issue is budget of I presume at this point £2,500 max would prefer under. 

Moon on a stick?

Buy that focus from Ken on here, perfect for what you want.

15 minutes ago, artdjones said:

A lot of tyres in unusual sizes are made in  batches and then stocked until the batch runs out. Any 2CV Nankang tyre you can buy will probably be around that old.

Chances are if they're sitting in a dark warehouse they're probably fine. 

It's the UV light that kills them

He doesn’t know how rare a thing he has. I think there will be a npbi

Just now, vulgalour said:

That's fantastic.  I wonder if it has any floors left.

His email says it’s been stored indoors since the 1980s. Outer panels have surface rust, but underneath solid. Rob moss at chevronics is very keen as is my mechanic friend.

BE4BFFDC-E207-4737-9A16-3E33AD9C8925.jpeg

88F615CF-0F80-46B6-9374-A8D891DC7682.jpeg

929B1B81-C21D-47B8-BB19-015CAE88E0A7.jpeg

I'm just emailing to see if you have any information on the Ami 8 service van (images attached). For example, if you had any information on contacts who would like parts/a restoration project, rarity, worthiness of restoration, value, owners handbooks, general facts, I'd be interested to know more. My Great grandad recently passed away and I inherited his old ami 8 service. It has been left sitting in a garage since the late 1980s and has body panel corrosion but the good thing is that a lot of panels and parts from the front were stored inside the vehicle so are in perfect condition. The underpinnings/chassis are also in strangely good condition. I've been working on digging it out of the clutter piled up around it and got curious as what to do next. Any help appreciated.

Just now, richardmorris said:

I'm just emailing to see if you have any information on the Ami 8 service van (images attached). For example, if you had any information on contacts who would like parts/a restoration project, rarity, worthiness of restoration, value, owners handbooks, general facts, I'd be interested to know more. My Great grandad recently passed away and I inherited his old ami 8 service. It has been left sitting in a garage since the late 1980s and has body panel corrosion but the good thing is that a lot of panels and parts from the front were stored inside the vehicle so are in perfect condition. The underpinnings/chassis are also in strangely good condition. I've been working on digging it out of the clutter piled up around it and got curious as what to do next. Any help appreciated.

In a way it’s like being asked “ I have this golden goose and don’t know what to do with it”.  My phone has been going constantly for two hours.

2 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Question is what?

Moon on a stick?

Buy @purplebargeken Focus from the FS section.

Just got back from Devon - 620 miles in two days in the 107.  Wouldn't have been my first choice of transport for a trip like that but the Rover has a busted spring and I'm nearly out of anti-ethanol additive for the Toyota so the 107 was the most logical choice - it's probably saved me money too, it's done 630 miles on less than 80 quid which is well over 50mpg, none of the other cars in the fleet would manage that sort of economy on a run like that (Devon is bloody hilly), with the possible exception of the Innocenti but then I wouldn't be able to walk if I'd done 620 miles in that.

107 down in Devon (I'm a poet and I didn't noet)

20230208_164948.thumb.jpg.f2a2453f27eb7047b62470ff47e521a3.jpg

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Just got back from Devon - 620 miles in two days in the 107.  Wouldn't have been my first choice of transport for a trip like that but the Rover has a busted spring and I'm nearly out of anti-ethanol additive for the Toyota so the 107 was the most logical choice - it's probably saved me money too, it's done 630 miles on less than 80 quid which is well over 50mpg, none of the other cars in the fleet would manage that sort of economy on a run like that (Devon is bloody hilly), with the possible exception of the Innocenti but then I wouldn't be able to walk if I'd done 620 miles in that.

107 down in Devon (I'm a poet and I didn't noet)

20230208_164948.thumb.jpg.f2a2453f27eb7047b62470ff47e521a3.jpg

About 10 years ago, I bought a new 107 from a dealer in North London and drove it home to Edinburgh, about 400 miles. Taking it easy with a new engine and generally slip streaming lorries, I got about 75 mpg. Most of the rest of its life was spent around town but never less than 50 mpg. Nice little cars.

Had the wind behind me driving to HQ yesterday for a meeting. 58 miles one way, journey average UK 37.5mpg, keeping between 45 and 55 on the back roads. Not bad for a 5.7 V8 pickup truck.

Getting bored waiting on the replacement seal for the Plymouth. Bottom of the gearbox is sitting undone to the elements, which is not optimal.

Phil