The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 minutes ago, N19 said:

Bluebird leaky place located, where the rear light seal has ceased to exist... Now just to see if the seal can be reinstated or whether it's bodge time. Seems to be some water sloshing around underneath the area too, so may have to find a way of draining that. 

IMG_20201021_180512.jpg

@Slowsilver has had rear light sealing success with foam rope... 

Given my verso has four part worns of various decrepitude including one Chinese winter tyre I've booked it in to have four Falkens fitted next week at a local independent garage,seem to have good reviews and I know roughly where it is so that's as good as I can hope for! £173 fitted for all four which I thought was fair.

4 hours ago, N19 said:

Interesting. I might have a nosey around the DIY shops... 

Not sure DIY shops would have it. Got mine off ebay for about £2-3 per metre. Available in several different diameters to suit the application. Make sure you get the foam / sponge / neoprene stuff though, not the nitrile which is too hard to squash up and seal properly. See my "Early Mondeo Saved From The Scrapman" thread for all the gory details.

When I had my '94 Tipo's clutch slave and master cylinders replaced a few weeks ago I asked the garage to give the car a general inspection. Its MOT is due in late December.  Their dispassionate verdict was that it required welding at the rear of each sill and in one other area which they did not identify. In their view, the cost of fixing it was way beyond the value of the car and they were not willing to take the job on.  I thanked them for their honest appraisal and turned to man maths for a more palatable answer.  Clearly, I don't need the car - I'm retired and have a modern car and an ancient Reliant in my garage.  I do however enjoy driving the Tipo.  It has better suspension than the modern CVT Mirage and thus gets used frequently despite being a manual, less economical (mpg), requires more frequent maintenance and has a poorer sound system.  Buying another 'interesting' car  to replace the Tipo would cost me at least £1500, perhaps more if the inevitable niggles with a 2nd hand car are attended to, so that gave me an approximate budget, though less than £1000 would be preferable.

I therefore got my son to drop the Tipo off yesterday at a different garage for inspection/pre-MOT, chosen for their greater willingness to weld and save otherwise decent cars from being scrapped.   They said it is in generally good shape except for the rusty bits underneath and estimated £500 plus VAT to patch it up and give it an MOT, or £900 + VAT if I wanted the whole underside cleaned, wire-brushed, derusted welded as necessary and undersealed. I'm probably going to go for the first option and book it in for sometime in November.   I don't like underseal and would prefer to use my own methods of rust prevention underneath.  In the meantime I'll be enjoying the car.  If anything significant breaks before the MOT, I will consider buying something else, so it's a win - win 😃.

Despite a fleet of modern*, reliable* cars, I decided that for a trip to 'that' London a 5 litre petrol Merc would be a bit expensive, the combo van too uncomfortable, the Sierra estate not the right car, the Transit would have fallen to bits, the Galaxy has had it and the Corsa leaks enough water to flood the average desert, which left one other option:  Borrow my Astra back for 2 days. It's actually an ex-hire car that I rent out to a local take-away. Some may remember this from when I bought it, it still looks like it's been washed in acid and wiped off with a house brick, but probs a bit worse now. The picture really does NOT show the full horror and makes it look half-decent, which it isn't. Here it is in snazzy Hampton Court...

astralondonoct2020.thumb.jpg.48a9769fc163ce0a1972e91bd65d1bf7.jpg

For a 1300 it actually goes quite well, bit noisy if you welly it (like a slightly toned down version of the PSA 2.2 diesels in the big Citroen/Peugeot vans) but the cruise control made things a bit nicer. A half-decent stab at MPG figures suggests about 55-58 average, which is pretty good imho.

astralondon.thumb.jpg.ed1e2fe53406fa67419bcd5ccb0caa75.jpg

Soz it's a modern* car and all that. Anyhow, to keep it marginally o/t, we had gone to visit my dear old mum and spent a couple of hours chatting away about some of the cars she and dad used to have, two of my siblings and I had a bloody good laugh about the two Renault 4s, a Fiat 126 and a Riley Elf etc.

Just treated myself to an extravagant gift in the form of an engine hoist from SGS Engineering, seems they are better regarded quality wise than the Chinese stuff from Amazon. I'm an absolute tight arse with myself so this is very out of character! I have two engines awaiting plucking so am quite excited 

Just dropped the mg6 off at my friendly local garage for the wishbone replacement and retest. Total cost of repairs looks to be about £450 in total, £220 of which was the bloody part!

Interestingly enough, I got a phonecall yesterday from Stoneacre Mg who "noticed from their records that my car has failed it's mot and is overdue it's annual service".

They've "put together a really good deal" including transport, labour, parts cost and the cost of 2 continental tyres (one was advised for wear on the inner edge thanks to the wishbone) at £1077 + vat. (But I can claim £250 parts cost back in 3 months from the warranty)

Also it's due an annual B service, which would be another £350 on top. When can they book the work in for and would I like to book a courtesy car on top?

I laughed like a drain and put the phone down.

Rover calipers arrived so yesterday...

20201022_164928.thumb.jpg.db9a0fb3f28a736aea9283bb943cc68b.jpg

Copious amounts of heat, Irwin bolt removers and general fuck aboutery meant four hours later.

20201022_173940.thumb.jpg.d4fa28e07b28e871fa189d07ce9ad0f7.jpg

The part is a recently refurbished but used MGF caliper which are shared with the 800, and it came with the handbrake bracket.  This saved me as the bolts securing the bracket on the old caliper just wouldn't budge.

The other side will need a new brake hose as I can't undo the banjo bolt without mashing it with the Irwin.  And based on my experience with the near side, I've bought another cheap slave caliper that I'll plunder for the handbrake bracket.

The handbrake now works A1, and isn't pointing at the headlining.  So I'm very pleased with that.

21 hours ago, omegod said:

Just treated myself to an extravagant gift in the form of an engine hoist from SGS Engineering, seems they are better regarded quality wise than the Chinese stuff from Amazon. I'm an absolute tight arse with myself so this is very out of character! I have two engines awaiting plucking so am quite excited 

I think mine is an SGS. Very good bit of kit, but the 'instructions' are hopeless. The assembly diagram looks like it was originally 50x50 pixels and enlarged from there.

33 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I think mine is an SGS. Very good bit of kit, but the 'instructions' are hopeless. The assembly diagram looks like it was originally 50x50 pixels and enlarged from there.

From the reviews I've read I'm expecting fun and games assembling, particularly in the castor area 

7 hours ago, RobT said:

Rover calipers arrived so yesterday...

20201022_164928.thumb.jpg.db9a0fb3f28a736aea9283bb943cc68b.jpg

Copious amounts of heat, Irwin bolt removers and general fuck aboutery meant four hours later.

20201022_173940.thumb.jpg.d4fa28e07b28e871fa189d07ce9ad0f7.jpg

The part is a recently refurbished but used MGF caliper which are shared with the 800, and it came with the handbrake bracket.  This saved me as the bolts securing the bracket on the old caliper just wouldn't budge.

The other side will need a new brake hose as I can't undo the banjo bolt without mashing it with the Irwin.  And based on my experience with the near side, I've bought another cheap slave caliper that I'll plunder for the handbrake bracket.

The handbrake now works A1, and isn't pointing at the headlining.  So I'm very pleased with that.

Great result, Rob, good perseverance. Genuinely chuffed for you.

Been having fun with warning lights this week.  I was sat in my newly-purchased C2 a couple of days ago trying to get myself comfortable, which involved lowering the driver's seat which was on its highest setting.  The driving position is now much better, but it's brought the airbag light on.  So this weekend I'm going to have to go scrabbling around under there to try and find the loose connection - I hope I can get to it from the front as access from the back isn't going to be great in such a smoll car.

Yesterday I took the Freelander out for the first time in a while, and was greeted by the "three amigos" (ABS, TCS and HDC warning lights).  They've come on a couple of times in the past but have always gone away when I've switched off and restarted the engine.  Not this time - they stayed resolutely illuminated.  I eventually ascertained, by finding a gravel track and standing on the brakes, that the ABS was in fact working fine.  Interestingly, the next time I switched off and restarted the engine, the lights all went off.  I went out again in it this evening though and they were all back - again, activating the ABS and then stopping and restarting the engine got them to go out.  I'm not sure what's causing this, and because of the age of the car I doubt my laptop would have much luck talking to it.  Hopefully it's just crap on a sensor through lack of use - I might spray some brake cleaner at the ABS sensors and see if that makes it go away.

The Rover 75 has also started to flash up some kind of brake warning occasionally.  It's hard to tell exactly what as the centre display is badly pixellated and has also decided to start displaying in French - as far as I can make out it says "anomalie frein", which is less than helpful.  It's not the pads as the fronts are fine and the rears are brand new; the fluid level is also fine.  It only flashes up on startup and goes away after a few seconds, so I think I'm going to ignore it and hope it doesn't come up at MOT time.

Had a mini non-car collection this morning for some gaming chod for my now increasing console collection. Quick run up to the A34 so I could collect the games and a fellow shiter could admire* the Suzuki of delight.

Good to see you again @Nyphur, hope tge rest of your journey today went well.

Been into garage and one of the toolboxes is full of water. 

IMG_20201024_105634.thumb.jpg.c778b720a61a3fc22b10b1d9840b9231.jpg

Just that, nothing around it. There's HBOLs on the shelf above, theyre okay and the floor and workbench the tools are on is fine. 

Its been raining heavily today so I've been in the garage to see where its coming in and its dry still. 

Frigging mystery. Someone call Scooby Doo.