The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

Think the fuel pump is fubar

is it an electric pump? if so give it a thwack with a hammer or such tool

if the thing uses a brushed DC motor it might just be a dead spot on the commutator or jammed brushes, by hitting it you might be able to jog things back into life to get you home or to wherever your going :) 

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

So what did CUV 478C come from? It's nearly a Routemaster reg, they stopped at CUV 363C.

I have no idea I’m afraid, I picked them up on eBay many moons ago for a very good price if I recall correctly.

@LightBulbFun I have had no luck researching that plate as it appears to have been properly scrapped and does not return results on the DVLA checker.

28 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

@LightBulbFun I have had no luck researching that plate as it appears to have been properly scrapped and does not return results on the DVLA checker.

its a common misconception that if it does not show up on the DVLA checker, that it means its been properly scrapped

it just means the vehicle has been either dead or inactive for so longer, thats its either just not part of the DVLA database, or its been archived by the DVLA and is not on the front line so to speak

before the introduction of the Certificate of destruction, V5s just had a little "I have scrapped this vehicle" check box on the V5 that you would send to the DVLA, where then the vehicle would have a scrapped marker appended to it

but the vehicle would/still does remain on the DVLA checker/database, most Model 70's are marked as scrapped for example

its only with the introduction of the CoD sometime in the 2000s I think? do vehicles "vanish" from the DVLA checker, but even then they still show up on the MOT checker and 3rd party websites :) 

so CUV not showing, means its just been either dead/inactive for a very long time (ie before the V5 and centralisation of the DVLC/DVLA etc) or dead/inactive for such a long time that at some point the DVLA decided it was not worth sticking on the main computer and archived it

see @egg and his Invacar,  is a prime example of vehicle was inactive for so long that it was either not stuck on the DVLA computer, or was archived early on, and as such did not show up on the DVLA checker/database, until we brought it back to life :) 

(im not 100% sure if it was part of the DVLA database at some point and it got archived, and thats the "Pre DVLC" records the guy was talking about, or it if the DVLA does have a collection of archives/records from local offices still)

Not much done this weekend as big dollops of CBA.  However, I did need to fix the door lock on the 11, as it broke a couple of weeks ago.

It's a low tech mechanism that I fixed* with some poorly applied gaffer tape.  Seems to work better now with less resistance, so hopefully that's sorted.

20191207_122112.thumb.jpg.7b7be1f9877107c81dac213a30d88646.jpg

The pin had dropped out, as a previous bodge of chemical metal over the pin had failed.  Unless it came out of the factory like it...

20191207_120515.thumb.jpg.3c97e6d8d5ca5caef83dab1729193cef.jpg

So at least I can park it up at Sainsbury's or wherever and not have the faff of reaching across from the passenger side to lock it.

I also took the Laguna for a blat just because.  It's been sat for 10 days yet fired up instantly and idled and ran perfectly.  Two functioning Renaults on fleet isn't bad I reckon.

20191208_140452.thumb.jpg.2c1b8f5f48bee3dcad271f01076fd198.jpg

Next up is getting the new tyres fitted to the 406, ideally in the next week or so, and a new battery for the Cavalier as I think that's on its way out.

Interesting evening.

Took the 214 out for a hoon, was running lovely, dived down a couple of junctions down the M1 to give it a good blow out as been standing a couple of weeks. Came off at J25, car died at the traffic lights. No startee.

First plaudits go to Autoaid who were ace - no hanging on for hours, straight through to an operator. Second plaudits go to the recovery guy from Burrows, who made it to me in less than 30 mins. In the intervening period I had company from a Highways Agency Officer, who coned off the lane I was in, pointed out that I was technically in a live running line on the motorway and then when his mates turned up they pushed  me back down the slip road into the hard shoulder....as the guy from Burrows turned up. He tried to stop them as he could have scooped up the car there and then so he was pissed off as he had to bugger about reversing etc.

Photo of shame

IMG_20191208_230815_0.thumb.jpg.78f70deaadf74cb2c65c57cd602d863f.jpg

Guy from Burrows took me home and I suggested he reverse down my cul de sac and we could drop the 214 in one of the parking bays at the bottom - he was happy, I was happy, and I gave him a roll of gaffer tape as he had something rattling in the truck which was driving him mental.

After he'd gone, I went to push and pull the 214 around as it was a bit skew wiff and was over two parking bays. After a lot of grunting and swearing, I improved* matters somewhat. Fuck this, let's just give the car a go at starting.

Started first time.

Ungrateful bastard.

Roffle.....?

What do folk on here buy for their friendly, local garages at xmas? You know, for all the little jobs that they do without charging, that take them a couple of minutes without you needing to book it in because they've got the correct tools to hand. I tend to buy expensive lager for one & expensive wine for the other. This year though, I think I'm going to give a month's worth of mince pies as well. 

14 minutes ago, barefoot said:

What do folk on here buy for their friendly, local garages at xmas? You know, for all the little jobs that they do without charging, that take them a couple of minutes without you needing to book it in because they've got the correct tools to hand. I tend to buy expensive lager for one & expensive wine for the other. This year though, I think I'm going to give a month's worth of mince pies as well. 

Chocolates or biscuits usually 

46 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I take them for breakfast the Saturday before Christmas.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

If you think think a group of shiters are a pretty weird lot you should go to lunch with the Citroen Car Club!

739319681_IMG_20191208_133010broad.thumb.jpg.87c1ea05ac55c3d35aa09b32a394a137.jpg

And if you think this was a Citroen group therapy session you are wrong, it's pass the parcel! 

1790170315_IMG_20191208_154929broad.thumb.jpg.8887c85d320abfc962af7c588e371847.jpg

Aha, so that's where the Official Monster Raving Loony Party candidates have been hiding!

The Volvo passed its MOT today, with only a few advisories, all of which can be easily and cheaply fixed on a DIY basis. The car's exhaust emissions test result pleased me no end: 0.55% of CO (3.5% limit) and 115 ppm of unburnt hydrocarbons (1200 ppm limit). Empirical proof that big old cars don't have to be big old polluters :)

Also, I used The Aero to get to and from work. It's running really well ^^

I was following a newish Range Rover Somethingorother earlier (not the proper one, but there seems to be eleventy pointless variations on the theme now).  I've seen lots of moderns which switch their DRLs off when the indicators come on - which is fair enough as some DRLs are brighter than the sun and you wouldn't see the indicator next to them - but on this Range Rover the tail light and indicator appeared to be occupying the same space, so that when the driver indicated the tail light went out.  Surely that can't be legal?

2 hours ago, egg said:

Panhard BT/CT 24

32562400118_9142b6d361_b.jpg

Go on, cut me some slack, there's just a hint of resemblance?

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Bet the Porsche's wipers aren't as cool as the Panhard's though.

Sleazy guy from Cyanide and Happiness

Plushy4_74bbd235-cf65-4222-a5e6-cce49085

In other news, MSE reckons the sweet spot for getting an insurance quote is 24 days before you need it. Of no use wotsever for us impetuous lot when buying chod, but maybe useful come renewal time:

mse-carinsurance.png.01022754cc6f93e1c08421913a2e0051.png

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=10-Dec-19-50587689-2631&utm_campaign=nt-viewonlineheader&utm_content=1

17 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

In other news, MSE reckons the sweet spot for getting an insurance quote is 24 days before you need it. Of no use wotsever for us impetuous lot when buying chod, but maybe useful come renewal time:

mse-carinsurance.png.01022754cc6f93e1c08421913a2e0051.png

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=10-Dec-19-50587689-2631&utm_campaign=nt-viewonlineheader&utm_content=1

Tbh that's my plan for bonus month, buy next years insurance a month before the current polisy runs out! 

Not got a great deal done on the fleet in the last week or so as I've been busy with other stuff, but the Renault 6 is now proudly sporting its new £13 Eurocarparts battery, after I splashed out a further £3 on terminal sleeves to take the terminals from smoll Japanese size to normal European size.  It doesn't seem to spin the engine over much faster than the old battery, but it'll definitely keep cranking for longer - not hugely surprising as the old battery was the one that was on the car when I bought it 12 years ago, and it was far from new then.  For some reason the 6 seems to be one of those cars that takes a lot of electricity to spin over - even with the big jump leads connected across from the 75, it'll only spin over quickly for a few seconds before it slows right down and I have to leave it to charge up for a couple of minutes.  Which makes it a pain in the arse to start if it's been stood for a few weeks and the fuel has run back to the tank, as it takes ages for the little mechanical pump to drag the fuel back up again.  I normally end up taking the air filter off and tipping some pez down the carb.

I took the offside rear wheel off the Elantra to see if I could investigate the ABS fault.  The wiring all looked fine but the sensor was filthy, encrusted in dirt and gunk - I scraped the worst of it off then gave everything a good blasting with brake cleaner.  Put everything back together again, cleared the fault codes and took it for a drive - got about 1/2 mile and then the ABS pump started buzzing again, and a couple of minutes later the ABS and TCS lights came back on.  Plugged the computer back in and now it's decided there's a fault with the offside front sensor.  When I took the car up the road with the computer running a live data feed, all four sensors were working and were giving the same speed readout, so I think the issue is deeper than just a sensor.  I'm not going to bother investigating any further - I have a general dislike of ABS especially in winter, a diesel Hyundai doesn't need traction control, and I'm reconciled to the fact that the car is going to be scrapped when the MOT runs out in the spring, so it's not a massive issue.

The other task at the weekend was to swap the Alfa's wheels round front to rear, as the rears had far better tread.  I didn't actually realise until I took the wheels off how bad the fronts were - they're legal on the outside half, but they're down to the cords on the inside edge.  So the car is now out of action until I can get it booked in to get a pair of part worns fitted.

Also the 75's sat nav has stopped working - it's either saying it doesn't recognise the DVD or it gets stuck on "Please wait a moment".  Not quite sure what's wrong with it, although I suspect the DVD is a non-genuine copy so might have worn out - I'll try buying a new disc off eBay as they're only about a tenner - if I have to replace the DVD unit again that's 50 quid plus for a secondhand one.

Handy tip from the 800 FB group so got the petrol filler flap released (all about the positioning of the key to chisel it open) which means feeding can occur and the car can be pressed back into service.  Lubed up the mechanism and two tugs on the knob in the cabin (missus) gets it back to automated luxury operational status. 820 back in the game, so back to 50% fleet efficiency.