Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Oops.

Spray a crap load of penatrating fluid on it and then just walk away for a couple of days. The fluid might not do anything, but walking away should help the stress levels to reduce and give time to possibly of alternative ideas.

• Like 1

Oops.

Spray a crap load of penatrating fluid on it and then just walk away for a couple of days. The fluid might not do anything, but walking away should help the stress levels to reduce and give time to possibly of alternative ideas.

Yes, I'm out of the garage for now. May carry on and fit the brake bits, as that still needs doing, and requires no engine assistance.

That's a real shitter and will take some sorting. I've just caught up on this and was going to ask if the correct points had been fitted. I bought a Suzy moped from my ex BIL many years ago that was a twat to start and run. Turned out eventually he'd fitted the wrong points to it.

There will be no swarf in the engine,  Anything that has gone down between the body and the shaft will be caught in the oil seal at the tip of the distributor, and nothing will have gotten between the engine casing and the distributor shaft, because siezed.

it's fucked now, so you might as well slide-hammer it out.  Don't drill it any more, as you risk fucking the engine case even more.  As it is, that looks like it will clean up with a decent file.

First thing to check.... does the distributor in the spares car come out?  If so, have it out and work out what is keeping this one jammed in.

If it's the seal that's turned to glue, I'd suggest carb cleaner and/or acetone to help loosen it's hold.  That usually seems to dissolve the gunk left by the rubber belts that turn to tar in Phillips VCRs and tape decks.

The main damage there seems to be done to the distributor housing, so the block will probably survive I reckon - at worst you might need to get a machine shop to drill out the hole slightly larger and sleeve it.  The engine being so small means that it might actually be possible without needing hoists and nonsense like that.  Especially with the cylinder barrels off (assuming they're easy to separate like on a VW).

Can probably get away with it being less than absolutely perfect.

It was probably just running a bit lean. Should've left the dizzy alone...

Runs away fast.

In fairness he had checked the static timing and it was well off.  It's maybe been that way for the last 35 years, but it was well retarded.  So that dizzy was going to have to shift at some point!

May I suggest, as you know Richard at Hargreaves Engineering, give him a call and see if he would give it a go for you, with proper kit. Give the problem to someone with a full engineering shop on hand to resolve it. If you do go that route, please give him my regards; he was the 'go to' man for machining and engineering for my family's cars, back in the day. You can nip on down to Llansteffan while you're there and enjoy a few hours at the seaside, with a spot of nice lunch at the Beach Café...

• Like 4

An idea, but the engine would still have to come out, so, if the dizzy is free, it might be easier just to swap engines. More investigating to be done. I may just fit the brake parts and try to forget this ever happened.

• Like 3

I should think so. I can just about lift a 2CV engine, and that's slightly bigger. Recommended approach is to drop the engine and transmission as one, and lift the body...

There will be a video of me lifting the front end single-handedly. There's really not much weight to them apart from the engine and transmission. They must have a 10/90 weight distribution. No wonder they're crap in crosswinds. Front tyre pressure? 17psi.

Ouch! Really sorry to hear this Ian.

I’m hopefully back in he field of dreams this Saturday and whilst I wouldn’t want to spend all day on one part, I’d be happy to have a go if the spares car doesn’t come up trumps.

Maybe the time to consider dropping in something suitably small but pokey

What, you mean like the original engine? 500cc in a vehicle that weighs as much as a wet fag packet should be moderately pokey. 1.5hp from 50cc on my bicycle gets me up to a decent pace. What's the top speed of these? I'm thinking 35-40 mph?

Phil

What, you mean like the original engine? 500cc in a vehicle that weighs as much as a wet fag packet should be moderately pokey. 1.5hp from 50cc on my bicycle gets me up to a decent pace. What's the top speed of these? I'm thinking 35-40 mph?

Phil

Apparently* they will do over 70mph. Not sure I'd want to experience it.

Ah Shitfukkbolloxpubepullingarsebiskitdildoflaps.......... Not great, but something had to give at some point I suppose. I'm with the 'it's saveable' focus group and personally, with a known running (badly) engine, I'd hoik it out and head on over to the engineering guru mentioned above. See if it can be sorted and straight back in........  job jobbed.

I think you may be opening yourself up to a huge can of monstrous worms going for the other engine........ do that one at your liesure.

Very best of luck fella.........

Thanks. I'll have a ponder.

Here's the latest video. I'm still dealing with the backlog of videos, so this one is mostly related to trying to service it. It does not contain epic failz.