Bad Obsession Motorsport - Binky

Micrashed

Fantastic metal fabrication skills, but I can't help but thinking there's a bit of "when you've got a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail" going on.

That little duct they made for the air inlet, for example -  I could have had that drawn up and coming out of a 3D printer in a couple of hours. It'd be lighter, flow better, fit better and not be yet another chunk of metal to rattle about. Printed using carbon fibre filament it'd be more than strong enough. Same goes for all the internal parts of the heater box etc.

Cost? Is a bit of bent metal cheaper than carbon fibre filament? Kinda rule out the setup costs of a 3D printer as they've clearly invested a lot in welding and bending gear.

I notice they're now sponsored by SIP though which may explain why they weld everything ;-)

Some of this episode was a bit pointless techniques when there's simpler solutions.

Pipe for heater, lets build up this ali pipe with weld in a complicated way and then turn it into a barb on the lathe. Er why not just start with a larger solid ali rod and just make it on the lathe? 5 min job max. Same with cutting rubber pipe down, spin it on lathe and apply stanley knife? Why not just stanley it?

Some of this episode was a bit pointless techniques when there's simpler solutions.

Pipe for heater, lets build up this ali pipe with weld in a complicated way and then turn it into a barb on the lathe. Er why not just start with a larger solid ali rod and just make it on the lathe? 5 min job max. Same with cutting rubber pipe down, spin it on lathe and apply stanley knife? Why not just stanley it?

Just cutting the pipe would make a wobbly cut and as he's clearly a perfectionist so lathe it is.

And the build up of weld to make the pipe end was probably just to save buying another bit of ally tube to just do one job.

Absolutely love these guys and binkys an amazing show of skills and the aim of perfection and attention to detail. My only concern is will it meet new the new IVA test standards?

My only concern is will it meet new the new IVA test standards?

Im sure it will, however as both shell and donor drivetrain are over 10 years old perhaps...

Exemptions from vehicle approval

You don’t need vehicle approval for:

• cars and minibuses with 8 passenger seats or less (not including the driver) over 10 years old

Nik has bad OCD, I'm positive of that, and he is a bloody good engineer and fabricator, yeah I know many bits could be made from off the shelf stuff, but they are in the arse end of nowhere in Shropshire, and only do Binky on weekends, when motor factors are shut. I've enjoyed it from day one, and I'm wondering how the hell they will fit all the ancillaries for the engine, as they are almost at that stage

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love this series, but having built cars myself, i think if i ever had to work with those two, there wouldn't be 3 guys walking out the garage

Last known words would probably be something along the lines of

"I DON'T CARE JUST PUT A FUCKING BIT OF PIPE ON WITH A HAMMER"

Seriously, the level of attention to detail is impressively insane, but every turn has been over complicated where 100 hours were spent on things that should have taken about 4 on things that would work just as well.