Y plate Sierra Ghia. A little prang.

laser wheels

I have now spent enough time this morning to learn the following:

1. Ignore everything a roadside recovery man confidently declares after 30 seconds of inspection.*

2. As I originally thought there is indeed nowt wrong with the timing belt.

3. I do not have the patience to be fannying about with old cars in the street. Or indeed new cars, for that matter.

4. I think I may be cashing in the tax on this one soon.

It basically sounds like it hasn't got petrol (but of course it has). Y'know, like it turns over, but just won't 'catch' if you know what I mean.

What really worries me is if I do sell it on - working or not - is that I just don't want it to be engine raped then weighed in which is what really worries me. :(

It'll be something straight forward these aren't complex. Did the recovery guy make any attempt to fix it?

Things to test , has it got a spark is it getting fuel?

If the belt had snapped it'd be turning over really fast.

Nah, he just tried to start it then declared broken timing belt. Personally, though, I always thought you would know if a belt snapped as it would make some sort of noise. With me the car just lost power and coasted to a stop at the traffic lights!

At least I'm taxed and tested so no one can complain (too much) but I do feel bad about basically taking up a double bay all to myself right now. Going to hit ebay anyway see what's out there for now just in case I do need a back up plan!

Now that's the thing. Just as you say, I can clearly see the belt still in place so my first thought was 'it's not broken'. But if it's a toothed belt I'm guessing it would still be held in place even if it was snapped?

Anyway, I've booked it in at a local mechanics for Monday. They said they're busy but if I drop it off in the morning - thankfully Lancaster are happy to send some someone out in a truck, which is pretty nice of them - I can leave it with them and they'll have a look. If indeed it is not the timing belt they will just give me a ring to see what I want to do. Fingers crossed!

This is why I really need a second car. Then I would be quite happy to take this one to bits and work on it in my own time but I really need it done ASAP for work!

Couple of basic checks:

1: Remove the fuel pipe from the carb and crank the engine over to check for fuel, you should get a healthy spurt.

2: Remove one of the spark plugs, then use molegrips to clamp it to a metal part of the engine, i.e. a cylinder head or thermostat housing stud, connect the lead back on, then crank the engine while an assistant watches the electrode on the plug for a spark. If all is working correctly then you should get a healthy spark there.

Should help pinpoint where the problem is.

Check the rotor arm isn't shorting to earth especially if you've put a new one on it,the ones on the shelves nowadays are crap compared to the genuine article and cause quite a few breakdowns.the cam belt can still be in position but the teeth can strip on the bottom pulley, take the dizzy cap off and crank the engine the rotor arm will not turn if its stripped.

Bear in mind also that if this is a 2.0 litre Pinto, the engine is not interference which means that the valves almost always are not damaged if the belt breaks.  Any mechanic could therefore fit a new belt in a half an hour with a tea break.

So (if I am right and it is a 2.0) worst case really isn't that bad.

Just had a guy knock on the door from the recovery co. who although not actually needed until Monday had a look at it anyway and reckons it's probably lost a few teeth on the belt. He also mentioned something about a Woodruff key. Basically the top crank isn't spinning when I tried to start the car. He did agree though that the Pinto is a piece of piss to work on - 'like working on a Hoover' is how he put it - and that if it's more than just a belt needed on Monday I should just have a crack at it myself.

Check the rotor arm isn't shorting to earth especially if you've put a new one on it,the ones on the shelves nowadays are crap compared to the genuine article and cause quite a few breakdowns.the cam belt can still be in position but the teeth can strip on the bottom pulley, take the dizzy cap off and crank the engine the rotor arm will not turn if its stripped.

Good tip on the rotor arm, thank you. :) The chap who has just been round did reckon that the teeth could be stripped/jumped.

I thought the Pinto was an interference engine TBH

As said the 2.0 is non interference and the 1.6 is hit and miss, i know this as i had a 1.6 sierra that the belt went, i put a new belt on and there was no bent valves, I've heard a few stories the same as well

Laser wheels you need to take the metal cambelt cover off so you can see the pulleys and wind the crank pulley round to see if the belt moves with it, if it does make sure the timing marks line up

Dropped the car off at the garage first thing this morning. Just have to wait for the call now. I must say I have had excellent service from Lancaster. All I had to do was book the car in on Saturday then rang them this morning and had a flatbed turn up within fifteen minutes. I've never actually had breakdown cover before and after hearing so many horror stories about outfits like the AA I have been most pleasantly surprised by how painless it has all been. :)