Y plate Sierra Ghia. A little prang.

laser wheels

Why not prep it yourself? That would save a few quid and give all concerned a better idea of what is required. Just a thought.

What would do you recommend? I'd be scared of making matters worse!

Prices for welding are hard to judge.  On one hand we might have a top job that takes hours, on the other hand a quick patch.  But you mention two hours?  Sunderland is the home of British welding - I think you could get a better price.

Sounds a really good car, an 82 Sierra?  How Many Left site is a bit difficult to get info from, but that is seriously rare. 

Good luck with it.

According to that site, this is one of two 2.0 Ghia autos on the road.

For £150 I'd want a proper repair section grafted in, stone chipped and painted. To get a sill patched? £50-60. 

Grinder...... flap wheel. Rust killer and weld thru primer. Whatever you can do to reduce the time spent on it by a paid person. If you were nearer......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found a back street guy who after having a look said he can slap a patch on for £35 on Monday! I also had an MOT done and they have confirmed that if it hadn't been for the hole in the sill it would have been a clean sweep with no advisories! So fingers crossed I may have this MOT'd and back on the road next week. :)

Assuming I can indeed get it through the MOT then I will be keeping a hold of it for now. At least through the summer, anyway. Long term though I will probably be moving it on purely because I am fancying something different now!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking long and hard about this and have decided I really want something else so how about £950? I'll try and give it a good clean this weekend and get some new pictures up.

Just to recap it has a brand new MOT with no advisories and has had rear brake pipes, flexis and shoes, brake master cylinder, timing belt and front control arms. Has also had oil change and normal service items like leads etc. but it could probably need a new set of plugs. It does occasionally idle a bit roughly but other than that has been utterly reliable and was my daily for a year. I must have put 150 miles on it on Tuesday including a 100 mile round trip to Redcar and back and never missed a beat!

Apart from the weld to the back of the nearside sill it is by all accounts mint underneath and grot free as confirmed by the MOT man. I have been underneath myself and I can confirm it does look very clean no doubt thanks to being fully rustproofed from new!

I'll have a good poke around and list the bad bits later!