The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Yay maxi scooter fwends!

IMG_20210508_163520.thumb.jpg.aa8b5466431c5ffbc837100b21f3b8b3.jpg

400 Burgman off of Cavcraft to replace my stolen Vespa.

Really happy with it, like you guys say it's practical, comfy and the speed is plenty for real roads, 80mph no problem could probably do 90.

The only drawback for me is the seat is clearly designed for a 5'0" Japanese man which I am not. Could do with the backrest thing removing so I can sit further back but there is no padding underneath it so I am probably going to have to get crafty with upholstery foam and vinyl, one day.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Yay maxi scooter fwends!

IMG_20210508_163520.thumb.jpg.aa8b5466431c5ffbc837100b21f3b8b3.jpg

400 Burgman off of Cavcraft to replace my stolen Vespa.

Really happy with it, like you guys say it's practical, comfy and the speed is plenty for real roads, 80mph no problem could probably do 90.

The only drawback for me is the seat is clearly designed for a 5'0" Japanese man which I am not. Could do with the backrest thing removing so I can sit further back but there is no padding underneath it so I am probably going to have to get crafty with upholstery foam and vinyl, one day.

Always liked the Burgman. Think that will probably be my next scoot. 

I'll get some better pics when it stops raining. It's actually from Taiwan!! It's called a TGB X-motion. TGB, or Taiwan Golden Bee, used to make Vespas for their home market under licence from Piaggio. Its got a SYM engine and is actually based on the SYM Voyager maxi scoot. I am a converted motorcyclist, I can see all the plus points now I have actually ridden one. 

I had a Piaggio X-evo 400 i bought to commute on one winter, but it gave such good weather protection and luggage capacity, I kept it a couple of years until i retired and sold ot on to a colleague.

Fancy another one maxi scooter, a 250/300 for nipping to the shops or beach. Must out number bikes 10 to 1 here

11 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Yay maxi scooter fwends!

Exactly what I did with mine when I had it! The X9 was far better seating wise.

12 hours ago, andyberg said:

I'll get some better pics when it stops raining. It's actually from Taiwan!! It's called a TGB X-motion. TGB, or Taiwan Golden Bee, used to make Vespas for their home market under licence from Piaggio. Its got a SYM engine and is actually based on the SYM Voyager maxi scoot. I am a converted motorcyclist, I can see all the plus points now I have actually ridden one. 

I used to visit Taiwan for work 10 years ago and you wouldn’t believe how many scooters they had.  My host there told me that they had a population of 20 million people and there were 22 million scooters registered 

do we have any Aprilia lickers on here?  reason for asking is that i bought a new air filter and plugs for my 2002 mille, and then sold it before having a chance to use them.  happy to post out to any of you fine shiters for postage costs :-)  can get part numbers etc on sunday when im home.

17 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

maybe retro fit a later seat? they have moveable back supports, not sure if later seats fit the earlier ones mind..... you been on the maximuppets forum, they have a burgman section......

Found myself looking at all the moto sales websites and local dealers for a maxi scooter. Probably buy from a dealer this time, as the ownership transfer on the Deauville was a real pain. And if they can take my Street Triple in as P/X, all the better, as I cannot see that getting much use now.

My X-Evo is currently SORN'd as the bloke i sold it to has been working from home for the last 18 months. 90,000 kms and still going well. 

And the rattle can stealth paint job is holding up well. Someone applied that properly 🙂

20210514_165157.jpg.2167130a5901b1e34f903be4d5a12072.jpg

maybe retro fit a later seat? they have moveable back supports, not sure if later seats fit the earlier ones mind..... you been on the maximuppets forum, they have a burgman section......
Asked on maxi muppets but didn't get much response, I think most of them have moved on to newer stuff, 650s or Syms?

From an eyeballing of the seats I don't think anything else will fit, looks like the changed the seats for 2001 and kept them the same till about 07, mine is a 2000.

If I can find a rough second hand seat I will have a go at making something, no backrest just arse room and a little higher at the front.

18 hours ago, andyberg said:

I like a lot😁

Very odd - bid got cancelled and now starting bid is £1200.

35 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

If I can find a rough second hand seat I will have a go at making something, no backrest just arse room and a little higher at the front.

I removed the hump (2 bolts)  and inserted a thin piece of foam under the cover and it made all the difference to the seating position - Im 5'11" and 24 stone.  Though I agree it would have been nicer if i could have sat a little further back.

11 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Very odd - bid got cancelled and now starting bid is £1200.

I removed the hump (2 bolts)  and inserted a thin piece of foam under the cover and it made all the difference to the seating position - Im 5'11" and 24 stone.  Though I agree it would have been nicer if i could have sat a little further back.

Yes I see that? Very strange. I guess he wants £1200 for it and you were the only bidder 🤷‍♂️ there is another one at less than £600 in North Wales, I don't know how to get the link up from my phone though sorry. 

EDIT: Strange that one has now ended as unsold???? 

look for givi screens (not sure if they still do tthem for our reg (W) mind?) or a least an original 1, not seen one like yours before, looks like a cut down original?
Quite possibly, I did think it was a bit low but hadn't checked pictures of other bikes till you mentioned it.

Tbh it will mostly see local action so not a top priority to get a bigger screen but will keep my eye out.

On 11/05/2021 at 17:03, tooSavvy said:

I have

a. Been checking UK leccy bike/scooter laws :(

b. Been watching many fascinating (and limb endangering) Utoob variants of DIY leccy wheeled bike/scooter contraptions!

My advanced maths fails me here....

1. A hoverboard wheel running as a 'friction drive' against your bike wheel/tyre (regardless of wheel diameter) will be the 6mph *nominal.

2. Introducing tooth belt/chain 'gearing' will decrease speed/increase torque. Can a different controller increase actual hub speed but with battery/heat issues ??

Not building one.... Virtually un usable outside your front door..... Doh!

Not a particularly 'tinfoil hat' presentation..... Shows what 'the industry' is up against. Informative!

https://youtu.be/xp_YKN00lUU

Maxi scooter massive, any thoughts or intel on the Gilera Nexus 500?

a550cbe01d4585c41999e248948b820f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/189624832556156/

This seems like an awful lot of stuff here for £500, no keys is not an issue as I have the kit here to make new ones.

Finished bikes are going for £1500+, reviews say they are a bit slow but I'm guessing that is relative to other mega scoots and with 40hp it should still be fairly rapid?

Quite like the massive Runner look they've gone for although my wife would be fairly unimpressed if I turned up with 1.9 more bikes to go with the 1.9 I already have here.

Well Ive been shafted on four maxi scoots now - bids cancelled and bikes sold elsewhere off eBay.

Frigging annoying when that happens. Plus ( I know Summer is coming) but when did bikes even Chinese stuff start getting so bloody expensive for heaps of shit?
Yet I cant get anyone to give me £300 for a running, riding MOT'd for 10 and a bit months Honda. 
Bananas.
Current budget £1000 - £1100.

33 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Well Ive been shafted on four maxi scoots now - bids cancelled and bikes sold elsewhere off eBay.

Frigging annoying when that happens. Plus ( I know Summer is coming) but when did bikes even Chinese stuff start getting so bloody expensive for heaps of shit?
Yet I cant get anyone to give me £300 for a running, riding MOT'd for 10 and a bit months Honda. 
Bananas.

Wot's the Honda?

Bananas.
Is this any good?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/887384868794269/?ref=facebook_story_share

Been hanging around for ages dropping in price.
I can fetch it back to mine and do the keys, buy a seat + MOT = cashback?

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Is this any good?

I love the X9 but I bet that is a world of pain. The electrics / electronics are prone to water ingress causing many maladies as I found out with mine and that one looks rather like someone has had the front end and dash apart already. Also these are one of the few Piaggio bikes that you cant seem to get an immobiliser free ECU/CDi for  and the keys are matched to this. Mine ended up getting scrapped when the immobiliser threw a wobbler and was gutted for spares by a Piaggio dealer.

Thanks for the offer & if something does turn up Id be all for some Dave fettling and ££ but honestly, I bet thats a 'mare in silver.

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

I love the X9 but I bet that is a world of pain. The electrics / electronics are prone to water ingress causing many maladies as I found out with mine and that one looks rather like someone has had the front end and dash apart already. Also these are one of the few Piaggio bikes that you cant seem to get an immobiliser free ECU/CDi for  and the keys are matched to this. Mine ended up getting scrapped when the immobiliser threw a wobbler and was gutted for spares by a Piaggio dealer.

Thanks for the offer & if something does turn up Id be all for some Dave fettling and ££ but honestly, I bet thats a 'mare in silver.

Sorry it was the key bit I was talking about, I have bought the kit to read the ECU/CDI on various Piaggio/Vespa bikes and make new keys.

Fair enough that one does look pretty rough but if you do see or buy another one with keys missing or no master key I can sort it out.

Although, I did also read that the X9 250 pre-Evo has a Honda engine and therefore no immobiliser.