Fifty shades of grey

Formula Autos

8: The 21st Century

widerange.jpg

:cry: You could replace those Mondeos with pics of any new car and the post would still be totally accurate. It's so depressing. Quick someone, post up a red car!*

*Or I could just step outside and look at my Metro in Ripe Tomato flavour. :)

8: The 21st Century

widerange.jpg

:cry: You could replace those Mondeos with pics of any new car and the post would still be totally accurate. It's so depressing. Quick someone, post up a red car!*

*Or I could just step outside and look at my Metro in Ripe Tomato flavour. :)

Depression & banality summed up perfectly by the Google Images search "Grey Astra". I would show you a screen shot, but I'm clinging on to the will to live.

Dear Lord... I see what you mean... :shock:

Moved on from depression to suicidal thoughts? If so, type in 'grey Juke'.

Depression & banality summed up perfectly by the Google Images search "Grey Astra". I would show you a screen shot, but I'm clinging on to the will to live.

Dear Lord... I see what you mean... :shock:

Moved on from depression to suicidal thoughts? If so, type in 'grey Juke'.

My neighbour across the road (entire driveway visible from my front door) has a whole fleet of grey. Some of them are supposed to be silver, but you know... spot the difference. 306 sedan: silver. 107: bit of a blue tinge but effectively dark grey. Daughter's Yaris: silver. Other daughter's brand new Juke: take a guess. Yes, dark grey. Brother's Passat: silver. In fact almost everyone who comes to visit him has a grey car, and there isn't one of them who can drive. He does have a mk1 A40 in green, but I never see it in use.

So I go out on my balcony at the back, and take a hit of Ripe Tomato Metro. :D

My neighbour across the road (entire driveway visible from my front door) has a whole fleet of grey. Some of them are supposed to be silver, but you know... spot the difference. 306 sedan: silver. 107: bit of a blue tinge but effectively dark grey. Daughter's Yaris: silver. Other daughter's brand new Juke: take a guess. Yes, dark grey. Brother's Passat: silver. In fact almost everyone who comes to visit him has a grey car, and there isn't one of them who can drive. He does have a mk1 A40 in green, but I never see it in use.

So I go out on my balcony at the back, and take a hit of Ripe Tomato Metro. :D

Fifty shades of grey, eh?

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

Plenty of grey going on inside mine. And hot grey PVC action too, phwoar. It's there to inflict pain on the unwise shorts wearer :oops: . No really. It is.

Strange tho', when you think about it. Since everything went silver for the millenium, it's easy to forget that grey used to be a genuine choice. We did have a choice of colours, didn't we? I wasn't dreaming it?

IMAG1527.jpg

IMAG1465.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

There's probly fifty shades of grey on that Rover 95 alone...

Fifty shades of grey, eh?

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

Plenty of grey going on inside mine. And hot grey PVC action too, phwoar. It's there to inflict pain on the unwise shorts wearer :oops: . No really. It is.

Strange tho', when you think about it. Since everything went silver for the millenium, it's easy to forget that grey used to be a genuine choice. We did have a choice of colours, didn't we? I wasn't dreaming it?

IMAG1527.jpg

IMAG1465.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

There's probly fifty shades of grey on that Rover 95 alone...

Let me present Antipodean Grey...

Falcon4.jpg

This colourful example is the interior of a Base-spec 1998 Ford Falcon AU - a car that despite having much to like, nearly killed off Ford downunder - or so some have said...

Thankfully the rest of the car is a little more cheery.... but only a little :)

Falcon2.jpg

2CVs could only be had in grey to start with.

2CV-1.jpg

Fittingly, the last one ever built was grey - two different shades! That's progress for you.

cvhistorique_html_1e150443.jpg

Also fittingly, the last 2CV built in France was grey too! Odd for such a colourful car. Sadly this car was stolen earlier this year and burnt out by idiots who should be flamegrilled.

426811_3188764151191_1028450207_32462676_887834829_n.jpg

This green Rover P6 is actually Lunar Grey.

391332036.jpg

If you looked up "grey" in the Oxford English Dictionary you'd see a photo of a VW Golf.

Most likely a 1.4 base model with wind-up windows and a cassette deck, even though it's 2012.

And the owner would have paid £800 extra for the oversized GTi wheels.

3Sagd.jpg

A few years ago Land Rover brought out a grey shade called Stornoway Grey.

This event wouldn't have made the news were it not for a rentamouth politician from the outer hebrides who thought that naming a grey after his town would damage tourism in the area.

He wanted LR to call the colour "Beautiful Silvery Stornoway, hotel rooms are reasonable, the whisky's good but don't dare do anything on Sunday!", or some such.

4500074445_fc5e814f7c.jpg

Defender by Tayne, on Flickr

Highly irrelevant as LR's Stornoway Grey is nowhere near dark and forboding enough to be named after the town.

Niagara Grey from the p38 palette would have been better.

1879858123_8098d063d0.jpg

Logging Trail by Tayne, on Flickr