Doing a collect - Fresh rust incoming. Confirmed AVAS content.

captain_70s

12 minutes ago, Surface Rust said:

Pretty sure these two statements are mutually exclusive for something that still exists! 

Unless the tyre is all that's left...

It could be a 60s fridge that identifies itself as a 50s Vauxhall?

5 minutes ago, Asimo said:

Engine-driven wipers!

Presumably off the end of the cam? Slightly* less miserable than vacuum driven ones.

• Like 1

I'll give a full run down of the car on my project thread in due course, but to reply to a few things.

No - most of the welding has not been done. It is a major weldathon. That's not to say a lot of welding hasn't already been done, its just bloody rotten!

Yes -  Camshaft driven wipers. So unlike a vacuum system they increase in speed with the car.

Probably not going to any major southern shows/meets anytime soon in it. It's a mega project and if I can have it pottering locally by next summer I'll already be surprised! It's also geared for a pre-motorway world...

• captain_70s changed the title to Doing a collect - Fresh rust incoming. Confirmed AVAS content.

I was about to say it doesn’t look too bad, and I’d expect worse from car of this vintage, especially in Scottish climate. It’s really amazing that it survived, I would hazard a guess that most of them were literally swept away by mid 60s.

Amazing buy! Do you plan to keep it original or make some quality of life improvements such as electric wiper/washers and similar small things that make life more pleasant?

9 hours ago, sdkrc said:

What's going on with that sandwich? Looks like the runs and some egg white. And why is your tea grey?

Car is fucking fantastic 

The breakfast was obviously carefully choreographed to reflect the austere nature of 50s motoring. 

Next week a breakfast of Umbongo and Highland toffee bars before collection of a Austin Maxi in burnt orange.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2024 at 22:38, sdkrc said:

What's going on with that sandwich? Looks like the runs and some egg white. And why is your tea grey?

Car is fucking fantastic 

One slice butter. Once slice peanut butter. I usually have apricot jam but we were out. It's a very milky coffee.

On 13/10/2024 at 00:07, IronStar said:

I was about to say it doesn’t look too bad, and I’d expect worse from car of this vintage, especially in Scottish climate. It’s really amazing that it survived, I would hazard a guess that most of them were literally swept away by mid 60s.

Amazing buy! Do you plan to keep it original or make some quality of life improvements such as electric wiper/washers and similar small things that make life more pleasant?

Aye, these were all gone by the mid 1960s, especially in Scotland. 

It's bad, but no worse than most. I could have paid double for a worse car with nicer paint...

No major plans for modifications yet. It's top spec, so has a heater and screen washers!

I'll keep the cam driven wipers for a start and see how they are. It'll not be going out in the rain on the regular and is only geared to cruise at 55mph so I'd rather keep it standard where possible. 

It will get radial tyres. Mostly because a set of the correct cross-ply whitewalls would equal the value of the car...