Late registration madness

Mash

• 3 weeks later...

WTF happened here then? KW52 YZY, date of first registration 1st December 2015 and year of manufacture 2002!

KW52YZY.thumb.jpg.b3b5fdd3bfb9bff3c1fa275cd3d63e42.jpg

As I was pondering the owner appeared so I asked him. Apparently it's actually a 1977 car but because the Italian logbook was issued in 2002 that got put down as the year of manufacture and it's too much hassle to get it changed now.

That's a very good point and surely he's already paying out far more than he needs to. As a 2002 car it'll be on emissions-based tax which I guess will be pretty high as it was built to 1970s emissions standards (although there's no CO2 figure on its DVLA record) but getting it correctly registered as a 1977 car would put it straight into tax and MOT exempt territory. He's Italian so maybe he isn't familiar with the intricacies of the UK licensing system and doesn't realise how much money he could save by getting the error corrected.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pillock said:

It's shown as 1989 registered but unknown year of manufacture, which to my mind should make it a Q so maybe a G plate is getting off lightly

a good portion of Model 70's I have looked up only have the Date of registration listed with no year of manufacture listed, TPA621M was one such example, but its now been updated with a year of manufacture, Im guessing its something to do when Zel applied for or sent back the V5c (esp as G467FRE has not been taxed since the 90s it looks like)

image.thumb.png.9374a5d5871a9f741334662be5003130.png

On 6/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Pillock said:

It's shown as 1989 registered but unknown year of manufacture, which to my mind should make it a Q so maybe a G plate is getting off lightly

I suppose a Q might look like a G to someone who wasn't familiar with your handwriting...

On 6/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, Pillock said:

I wonder if that will eventually bite him on the bum with emissions and tax being based on a 2002 car rather than a 1977 car? He's got to wait another 25 years for historic tax surely?

I suspect you just need a letter from the owners club stating year of manufacture, and its all good again?? 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Is that an F? Or a P? Either looks too new, possibly an import maybe

God knows how it ended up on an F-plate. Year of manufacture 1977 and first registered 2016. I thought doovla would have at least issued a year appropriate plate? Looked really tidy though and wearing its 295k (km) well.

Screenshot_20190718_233523_com.jvelimited.vehiclesmart.jpg

Strange things can happen when a vehicle has been registered in several different countries. If the previous one was not the original one, and it moved from (say) Germany to Holland in 1989, then the previous date of registration would line up with an F prefix - even though someone has somehow determined that the car was built in 77. 

Weird shit though, you’d think folk working at Swansea would quickly get to know what was a plausible range of ages for a particular model, and therefore a plausible range of registration year identifiers. Well I would think that anyway. 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:04 PM, mk2_craig said:

Weird shit though, you’d think folk working at Swansea would quickly get to know what was a plausible range of ages for a particular model, and therefore a plausible range of registration year identifiers. Well I would think that anyway. 

Assuming that they are remotely interested! 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, EssDeeWon said:

Good spot.  Never seen an R reg mk3 before, even P was quite rare but not unheard of. 

There were some badged as Fiesta Classic on a P reg, could the R reg one be one of the last Fiesta Classics? 

Edit: according to DVLA it was made in 1997 so looks like it is, though I didn't know they did a diesel Fiesta Classic. Also untaxed since April and not insured currently either. 

Ex Mrs had a fiesta in that shape on a p plate. Even more odd was hers was a sport model with the massive bumpers in metallic green. 1.6 but had 5 doors and no electrics at all bar Pas. Most sports were 3 door and all the 1.6 I've seen over the years had leccy windows and central locking. Never seen an R plate at all. I did have a N reg sad face model which I believe was early for that too. 

1 hour ago, EssDeeWon said:

Do you mean the Si model bub?  With the bucket seats and spots in the front bumper?  (Mondeo GLX wheel trims too unless you opted for the alloys) most of those were M and N plates, not seen a P reg Si before.  There was a 3 and 5 door option and usually in mallard green. 

That's the bugger. Was replaced with a 2.0 sport astra! Yes hers was quite odd as usually the 1.6 was fully specced with alloys etc and the 1.4 was lower spec. Hers had steels on it too. The massive winged seats were a complete arse for unlocking the back doors with no central locking! Was quite nippy too. Weighed naff all with the 1.6 in it but them zetec lumps weren't the most refined. 

1 hour ago, bub2006 said:

That's the bugger. Was replaced with a 2.0 sport astra! Yes hers was quite odd as usually the 1.6 was fully specced with alloys etc and the 1.4 was lower spec. Hers had steels on it too. The massive winged seats were a complete arse for unlocking the back doors with no central locking! Was quite nippy too. Weighed naff all with the 1.6 in it but them zetec lumps weren't the most refined. 

Someone I used to work with used to have a green 5dr M reg Si in about 2005/6. No idea whether it was the 1.4 or 1.6 though

4 hours ago, bub2006 said:

Alloys were optional on the 1.6 and 1.4 (3 and 5 door models) also the 1.6 got the full on bucket style winged seats and the 1.4 didn't, that's how to tell them apart. IIRC

• 4 weeks later...