Late registration madness

Mash

^

Probably one of the ones made by Middlebridge Engineering in the late 1980s, who bought the rights to make the cars from Reliant.

Theoretically, new Scimitars are still available to order from Graham Walker Limited, who bought the production rights in the early 1990s after Middlebridge went bust. How mad would a 64-plate example be? :D

When did they stop making Maestro vans? I saw a V reg one this week, barelling towards me with no time to get a pic.

Maestro hatchbacks ran to 51-plate, I think the vans stopped at V-prefix though (could be wrong on the vans, always happy to be corrected etc :) ).

"Factory" production of the cars and vans at Cowley stopped in '94, the production line then went to Varna (Bulgaria). Varna wasn't a great success, the unsold Varna cars & vans were repatriated and bought by Apple2000 near Bury St Edmunds. Apple2000 converted them to RHD but left the LHD wipers and mirrors in situ (the mirrors were all-but unuseable - not good!). They were generally sold on N-prefix registration marks, befitting their date of production at the factory. The cars had VINs along the lines of the usual Rover ones (SAXX...), but with higher chassis numbers than the last Rover Maestro.

Meanwhile, a batch of quite a few more unsold LHD cars which never left the warehouse at Cowley was sold to TET (Trans-European Trading) in Ledbury. TET converted them to RHD in the appropriate fashion and sold them (the so-called "Ledbury Maestros"), including fitting RHD wipers and mirrors - the chap there was seething that Apple2000 didn't have to do this but got type approval to sell their cars in the UK!! They were sold on R-prefix to 51 plates, as befitted their date of conversion to RHD. They didn't have the usual Rover VIN rather they began B10S from memory.

Actually, as it's so long since I last told this bizzare tale, the Ledburgers might have come from Varna and the Apple2ks from stockpiled stock at Cowley!! A strange story of a car that wouldn't die and then went on to production in China, nonetheless...

Both cars were essentially Maestro 1.3 Clubmans, but with 14" wheels and 185/65 tyres. They also count as "kit cars" which makes passing an exhaust emission test easy (visible smoke only) but can make them more difficult/costly to insure...

This morning in traffic I saw the plate VX14HEV on a VW type 2 bay window, as it had no visible front radiator grille I think it may be an air-cooled one.

Wikepedia says these went out of production in 2013 and Cartell says the plate belongs to a "HAMM HD 13 VV" which would appear to be a small road roller ( http://www.wirtgen-group.com/bauma/en/exhibits/hamm/hd-13-vv.html ).

Is there something funny going on here? 

Woefully underpowered VW Polo engine in em. They cost a bloody fortune too, for something that will rust alarmingly quickly due to them being made from shite steel

My thoughts entirely.  Why you'd buy one of those hopeless old dinosaurs when the same money would get you something entirely more usable, is beyond my feeble mind!  Nostalgia has a lot to answer for.

I kept seeing one of those on ebay for just shy of £35k for a 12 plate. WTF??? South paws with the side door on the wrong side for the UK too. Clearly some people have more money than braincells

Talking of Jimnys, I saw 1 a few weeks ago and metaphorically spat out my coffee when I saw it was a 13 plate. Doesn't qualify as they are or recently were still selling it! Most of the early ones must have been cubed now surely?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...