Late registration madness

Mash

I would concur with the 1986 thing, in fact I'd go as far to say that if it had been registered in 1971 it probably wouldn't have been given old style plates, most vehicles by then were getting reflective ones.

Anyhoo, how's about this...

(sorry for shonky photo. taken at full zoom earlier today. I'm now in a hotel room and have no card reader or camera cable with me, so I've taken a photo of the camera screen using an Ipod Touch which is now connected to the laptop. THAT'S the lengths I'll go to when it comes to sharing shite spots!)

f0c998ae.jpg

It's an MG ZT, reg WX08HEJ. Seen (three times) in Jersey this afternoon, that's well over 36 months after MG Rover went tits and surely got to be one of the last registered. Unless anybody knows different?

I 'think' that despite its early build,being 1986 registered is required to have reflective white on front,yellow on rear plates

Oddly the Doovla site makes no mention at all of black plates in the vehicle registration section but I found this on a reg transfers site so it does go by year of manufacture

Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style "black and white" plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.

So the black plates on the ERF are legal (if probably not original) but I bet he's been pulled a few times over them.

I have a 1961 built, 1962 first use, 1973 "L" registered, tax exempt, seatbelt and indicator exempt, Military Land Rover that can wear black plates..... That's going to take a little homework if I ever get stopped. Meh. Fuck'em.

:lol:

I think I'd get rid of the L plate then. Either transfer it to another vehicle which should generate an 'age-related' mark for the Land Rover, or see if DVLA have a mechanism to 'surrender' the plate that makes it looks newer than it is and issue a dateless replacement...

DSCF0496-1.jpg

This is one of my fleet. My December 1978 Mk2 Marina. Inside the door card a date of feb 78 is stamped. The mk3 Marina was well into its production run by the time mines was registered. I know of a mk3 that was registered in the oct of 78. I presum mines sat about at the dealers for a while. The mod aslo stock piled the Montego diesal saloons they were fond of at the time. Thus it is possibale to get a Montego on a p reg, and soem cortins were registered on e plates. Commercilas i think can have black on white number plates quite late on. Lothian buses used to have black and white plates right up untill its Olympians were delivered.I dont know why but Lorries and buses seem to be allowed to have the old style plates past the legal date for cars.

Lothian buses used to have black and white plates right up untill its Olympians were delivered.I dont know why but Lorries and buses seem to be allowed to have the old style plates past the legal date for cars.

The buses in London were like this for a long time too weren't they? Leyland Titans and Olympians. Another example is Ripponden Motors, their lorries also carried white on black plates in the 80s.

In other news I spotted this today:

IMG_9593.jpg

I would concur with the 1986 thing, in fact I'd go as far to say that if it had been registered in 1971 it probably wouldn't have been given old style plates, most vehicles by then were getting reflective ones.

Anyhoo, how's about this...

(sorry for shonky photo. taken at full zoom earlier today. I'm now in a hotel room and have no card reader or camera cable with me, so I've taken a photo of the camera screen using an Ipod Touch which is now connected to the laptop. THAT'S the lengths I'll go to when it comes to sharing shite spots!)

f0c998ae.jpg

It's an MG ZT, reg WX08HEJ. Seen (three times) in Jersey this afternoon, that's well over 36 months after MG Rover went tits and surely got to be one of the last registered. Unless anybody knows different?

05cda00a.jpg

There you go, properly uploaded this time.

Don't think I'd want to be paying sixteen large for one of these that's sat at that dealers for seven years with ten miles on the clock.

Have we had this one yet?

1999 on a V Merc W124, currently on the Bay of E. :?:shock:

$(KGrHqN,!ikE-jB4o2IZBPpEUP4urQ~~60_3.JPG

Did I read somewhere that there was a batch of these found their way into the country from Africa or something, that might explain the odd spec on this one. (and the 'on stilts' ride height)

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen an E-prefix MGB (registration something like Ennn WTT) at two (if not more) Pride of Longbridge events a few years ago. No pics, sorry - but I bet someone somewhere who was at the events must have some.

On eBay, purporting to be the last one registered:

$(KGrHqV,!jkE+7wDZTWUBQPNgMTkHw~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-MG-B-The ... 500wt_1247

• 1 month later...
hpLeS.jpg

It's not a 55 plate, it's M155 HJW - 2000 Ford Fiesta LX TD ;)

Wow you were quick with that one, I took it down after I realised my mistake straight after I posted it. I did quite recently see my very first (real) 52 plate Mark 4 Fiesta, although it was the facelift model they're pretty much 02 plate at the newest so I would still count it as late registered even if only the next number. I also saw an 06-plate NON Campus Clio Mark 2 not too long ago (Renault started using that name at 55 plate) - may not sound like a big deal but actually it would be one of the last *French built* Mark 2's!

No photos of either car unfortunately :( lol...

Does this count as late registration madness, as they are still producing them?

DSC03646.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03649.jpg

The owners were a nice couple from Birmingham. He bought the Niva off eBay whilst pissed one night, paid £4700 for it, unregistered, with 83miles on the clock. It was located in the US and had been bought new from a dealer by a film company as a prop and they had realized it was of the wrong model (post facelift) and had abandoned it in a warehouse. It was then left for 2 years and put on sale. It arrived with no documents other than a receipt, and the new owner had to put it through a VOSA test and register it, but says it was well worth the effort. It is a 1.7 multi-point injection model with electric locking, power steering and all the mod cons. And an awful seat colour. He had to replace the original wheels (like mine) with ones with less sticky-outy-ness and a new windscreen and headlights to keep VOSA happy. Obviously Russian design and build is not up to modern standards!Already going rusty under the wings :roll:

Currently has 33000miles on the clock and coming up for first MOT. All I say is good luck! He says it is the best vehicle he ever bought!

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen an E-prefix MGB (registration something like Ennn WTT) at two (if not more) Pride of Longbridge events a few years ago. No pics, sorry - but I bet someone somewhere who was at the events must have some.

On eBay, purporting to be the last one registered:

$(KGrHqV,!jkE+7wDZTWUBQPNgMTkHw~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-MG-B-The ... 500wt_1247

I remember seeing 2 MGB`s for sale on ebay about 5 years ago, one was an E plate, the other was unregistered.