Vanishing motoring YouTube channels

GregZX

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Yup - the US idea of business - take a good idea and SQUEEZE every last bit of juice out of it.

So often creatives in an organisation are despised by senior management - but they need and thus tolerate us.

Don't I know it..."is that your car out in the car park??" Was a common complaint etc etc.

😂

Sounds about right!

Car Throttle is an amusing case in point, bin all the existing presenters because they were doing things that were too complicated and costly like mini resto series (yet pulling in 250-280k views) and replace with 2 unkown presenters who seem to be attracting an audience of about 5 people, a truly great business move!   

It does looks like donut are imploding in a similar way to Carthrottle and Hoonigan.

It must be challenging putting out 2 videos a week there's only so much to say, how many channels are still ripping off Top Gears ideas?

Not disappearing but Flexiny has recently been clearing a field of cars that have been dead and in the elements/bog/trees for 20 years+ Some absolute belters like a Toyota Camry that was basically a husk and a very frilly Moskvich .

An FSO 125 pickup even partially broke in half but he still drove it around.

Best of all, nae dialogue!

• Like 2

I'm glad that my entire financial future doesn't depend on the whim of YouTube who are free to move their goalposts anytime they fancy.

• 4 weeks later...

Doug's take on the changes in the YouTube car creator world. 

TL:DR - it's easy for creators to leave the channels they work on and start their own thing to take more of the revenue (e.g. Donut, Car Throttle etc)

On 21/07/2024 at 18:37, egg said:

Doug's take on the changes in the YouTube car creator world. 

TL:DR - it's easy for creators to leave the channels they work on and start their own thing to take more of the revenue (e.g. Donut, Car Throttle etc)

Think there is an issue with revenue.

I listen to a podcast (Top Flight Time Machine if anyone here is a cunter, *taps nose*) and I pay for that monthly on the Patreon. But they're changing their offerings on the free tier because it's becoming increasingly difficult to get advertising revenue. Podcasts like "The Rest Is Politics" etc are coming in and hoovering up the ad revenue, so smaller podcasts suffer without the Patreon stuff to pay the bills. I mean fuck me even Jack Whitehall's parents have a podcast now. Insufferable fucks.

But yeah, YouTube is no different. The issue will be now that these guys are leaving the big established channels and will hit in to this issue of revenue. There are more pigs to feed around the trough and the trough isn't getting any bigger.

Does anyone watch Peter Finn the Car Doctor? I don’t watch YouTube or any car fanatic videos, but this fella from Finland is so terrible at car repair:

https://m.youtube.com/user/urkkik

The best ones are repairing a car seat and repairing air filter hose. He fixes -everything- (badly) with sikaflex, I can’t stop watching his nonsense.

• Like 2

Currently watching Pole Barn Garage and Junkyard Digs, but do like M539 Restorations which cant see anyone else has mentioned.
He's just finished an engine rebuild on a V8 Maserati, which on last video may not have gone to plan...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gadgetgricey said:

Currently watching Pole Barn Garage and Junkyard Digs, but do like M539 Restorations which cant see anyone else has mentioned.
He's just finished an engine rebuild on a V8 Maserati, which on last video may not have gone to plan...

Have watched a few of PBG and JD videos. They are watchable but the JD are very samey. 

I watched a PBG video where he’s starting a Jag XJS which was catching fire regularly. So what does he do? Gets his lad to spray easy start in to the intake while he sits inside starting it with the car. It regularly flamed back at his boy. Just an idiotic thing to do, unless he needs a kidney.

Funny how Motor Trend are getting through all this without a mention, after butchering Roadkill.
Just been to look at their channel, and they seem to be struggling to pull in views on anything that's not pseudo-Roadkill.
I also completely forgot that Vice Grip Garage was on their books, and he seems to be the only other thing keeping that channel afloat.

We probably wouldn't have half these channels like Junkyard Digs and PBG if it wasn't for Roadkill, they're the people making up Power Tour and the like.

The thing is, this isn't just a thing in motoring YT. The same thing happened to Bon Appetit...

• Like 3

I like BigCar. Except for his ridiculous pronunciation of French car brands.

Perrrzz Yoh, Sit Row Ehn, Run Know!

He doesn't do it with other countries manufacturers. 

Sometimes he drops the Cleusau impersonation but the next video it is back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did roadkill not come out of a youtube creator project were youtube funded Hotrod magazine to make some episodes then it got picked up motor trend?

Motortrend seem totally clueless. There was thousands and thousands of non US paying subscribers they cut off and I never figured out why as they owned the rights to the programs everyone wanted to see (Roadkill, Hot Rod Garage etc).

I suspect Discovery will fold eventually then Finnegan will go full time youtube and Freiburger may do the same.

Tony Angelo who did hot rod garage's youtube channel is doing pretty well.

It's amazing that a 1 hour and 40 minute video about just changing a turbo has gotten over 300k views in 16 hours but Vice Grip Garage has that.

I don't understand how people can watch all of that.

You tube seem to have got over zealous with making me watch adverts. The result is I watch less than half the amount I used to. 

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It's amazing that a 1 hour and 40 minute video about just changing a turbo has gotten over 300k views in 16 hours but Vice Grip Garage has that.

I don't understand how people can watch all of that.

He seems to be really stretching them out. It's okay on some stuff like the revivals but on stuff that should be a 20 minute video it's extremely dull and I've started to avoid them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cort16 said:

He seems to be really stretching them out. It's okay on some stuff like the revivals but on stuff that should be a 20 minute video it's extremely dull and I've started to avoid them. 

It seems so. Becoming a member on his channel is expensive and with him selling out to mototrend and the like, it seems like he's trying to get as much money out of everything as possible. 

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

You tube seem to have got over zealous with making me watch adverts. The result is I watch less than half the amount I used to. 

yes, it's really ramped up this year, I'm sure some people have posted on here about workarounds, but I don't they'll work on my 'smart' TV.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

YouTube has really pushed us to do mid-roll ads, so we have. But the number they shove in as default is appalling, and I can only reduce that number on my laptop (which gets used very infrequently these days as everything is mobile-based). When I can, I log on and tweak down the number of ads. But most channels just roll with it I think. My last 1hr video had something like 12 ad breaks on it until I intervened.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It seems so. Becoming a member on his channel is expensive and with him selling out to mototrend and the like, it seems like he's trying to get as much money out of everything as possible. 

While I don't disagree, I'm not sure when Derek actually sleeps. He is running a channel, that often sees big travel, runs a show on Motor Trend and seems to be running a farm as well. He works bloody hard.

• Agree 3

I would much rather watch Derek changing a turbo than anything on mainstream TV.   I only see TV programmes when in other people's houses.  40 channels but nothing worth watching!  That's why I ditched my TV a few years ago.  You Tube has such a vast choice that it wins easily in the entertainment stakes and advertisers appear to be migrating to it as a result of its popularity.  My son and I decided some time ago that it was worth paying for the You Tube 'no adverts' option but I suspect that this affects the  revenue payable to YT channel providers.  Some, including Vice Grip Garage, now personally present adverts for products as a means to obtain sponsorship.  Fair enough if it is not done too often during a video, and much less obtrusive than commercial break TV style adverts.  None of the YT motoring channels that I enjoy watching have disappeared yet and the scientific, engineering, aviation and boat restoration channels that I watch are also surviving.  Which is good because if they go I'll have to get up from my armchair and actually do something - or just go to sleep.    

8 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

While I don't disagree, I'm not sure when Derek actually sleeps. He is running a channel, that often sees big travel, runs a show on Motor Trend and seems to be running a farm as well. He works bloody hard.

Yes he works hard, too hard I feel, I am worried about his health and can't be the only one who does.

He does seem to work very hard. Is he going to look back in 10 years when his kids have grown up and realise he missed half of it as he was working or on the road or making youtube videos?

Tavarish is another one I don't know how he has the time. I'm not a massive fan of his videos but he does seem like a nice guy and supportive of a lot of other smaller YouTubers.

I've stepped away from VGG too. His early content was brilliant - simple, not much chat but when he did speak, that Bieri humour shone through. I just assumed he was a clued-up hillbilly in the early days. 

He's now a textbook victim of his own success. I guess he's still getting the hits and earning revenue but for me, it's too far removed from the basic formula which appealed initially. 

Although it's sans dialogue, I like Flexiny, as recommended by @Mr_Bo11ox a while back on here. Simple, effective and short, sharp videos. 

I bet vgg employs a consultant to analyse video performance and they’re telling him longer firm videos are being pushed by the algorithm. I see others doing the same but they seem to max out around an hour but some of the vgg is double that 

On 27/07/2024 at 23:03, dollywobbler said:

YouTube has really pushed us to do mid-roll ads, so we have. But the number they shove in as default is appalling, and I can only reduce that number on my laptop (which gets used very infrequently these days as everything is mobile-based). When I can, I log on and tweak down the number of ads. But most channels just roll with it I think. My last 1hr video had something like 12 ad breaks on it until I intervened.

The previously mentioned advert workarounds are fine for me when watching on my PC but as 75% of my YouTube viewing is done on my mobile I've splashed out £11.99 a month on YouTube Premium. I can honestly say that a Premium subscription is every penny well spent. This is high praise indeed as I don't own a TV so I don't have to pay for a licence and don't even have use of a Netflix password.

What I will say though is that if YouTube does start hammering adverts into videos every 120 seconds then it's only a matter of time before people download them and upload them onto another tube site or onto Pirate Bay meaning that people like yourself will end up working for free. 

I will once again sing the praises of Brave, which squashes YouTube ads. 

A YouTuber had a go at me for mentioning it on Twitter, claiming I was taking the food out of their mouth. 
Well, apart from the bit where I don't watch their content, it remained a shite argument. I donate and buy merch where I can from channels I like, but said items are usually limited run - and I never have any fucking money spare. 

I may have my sources wrong but I believe Shmee is heir to the Burton menswear fortune. 

I did some of the YouTubes with my old colleague JJ. It was called Curve Addict but he shuttered it:  he just had too many demands on his time. It might have done something on a long burn as the first film on his 190E did really well. 
The comments from the Americans were staggeringly, willfully, bafflingly stupid, too. 

At times I've been asked to lend cars out to channels but I blow hot and cold on the idea, much like doing my own stuff. I should have got on the bandwagon in 2010; it's too late now and most of me can't be arsed. 

7 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

I will once again sing the praises of Brave, which squashes YouTube ads. 

A YouTuber had a go at me for mentioning it on Twitter, claiming I was taking the food out of their mouth. 
Well, apart from the bit where I don't watch their content, it remained a shite argument. 

I may have my sources wrong but I believe Shmee is heir to the Burton menswear fortune. 

Being a YouTube content creator is a precarious occupation being essentially an online busker. Good luck to anyone willing to have a go at it.

fionawright1.png.9a0aacf776ea801573b8793356772a09.png

Did Shmee also inherit Fiona "Five Times A Night" Wright from Burton boss Ralph Halpbern?

8 hours ago, warren t claim said:

The previously mentioned advert workarounds are fine for me when watching on my PC but as 75% of my YouTube viewing is done on my mobile I've splashed out £11.99 a month on YouTube Premium. I can honestly say that a Premium subscription is every penny well spent. This is high praise indeed as I don't own a TV so I don't have to pay for a licence and don't even have use of a Netflix password.

What I will say though is that if YouTube does start hammering adverts into videos every 120 seconds then it's only a matter of time before people download them and upload them onto another tube site or onto Pirate Bay meaning that people like yourself will end up working for free. 

You get YouTube music too, I use that alot. 

(a friend put me on his family plan 👌)