Vanishing motoring YouTube channels

GregZX

8 hours ago, GMcD said:

I really enjoyed his channel ~ 3 years ago with his reviews at the time.

This is the thing, you can only review so much. What can you say about a Morris Minor or Metro that hasn’t been said by 20 other people? Logically the next step is to do your own cars. As you can concentrate on one and then move it on for something new. Rinse and repeat.

6 hours ago, Dan302 said:

he has a K-series Skoda Estelle

… a Rover K Series?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Martin Zero

Brilliant channel, well researched and Martin and Roy are very knowledgeable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There's a channel called Waldos World that good. One day he's building a huge gooseneck trailer from scratch, the next he's diesel swapping a pickup and the next he's fitting a timing chain to a 5.0 super charged Range Rover. He knows know fear but posts really sporadically. Sometimes there' loads of videos then there's 3 months with nothing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rod/b said:

some electronics stuff (StezStixFix and Big Clive)

On that subject - did anyone ever find out where the infamous Photonicinduction went?  Disappeared for ages apparently due to family problems, returned out of the blue, then disappeared again without a word.  I did read one or two rumours online that he was in prison - did anyone ever hear anything concrete?

Baptise Pitois is pretty good, everything from 4x4 Citroen c15 and c25s and Belingos to Discovery and Jeep content, He also used to overland his Peugeot 205 and set up a 205 rally to the Sahara desert. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Brilliant channel, well researched and Martin and Roy are very knowledgeable.

And even when they get it wrong they go back and show why and the real location which is great to see! 

And I can watch a video have zero idea of where they are but they give enough information that by the end your fully acquainted with it! 

Something I've learnt from this thread is how there are many 'quite big' car channels that I've never heard even heard of. Tough old world out there competing for the 👀

• Agree 2

I used to watch a load of VGG but a combination of life being busier than previously, along with Bieri pretty much selling out has kept me away from his videos for the last 12 months. 

Interesting points r.e. creators having to become more OTT in an effort to engage subscribers - it makes sense, although at the same time drives away a chunk of long-term subscribers who don't like the change in direction. 

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, St.Jude said:

In fairness, I think they have been whoring themselves out to YouTube channels as freebies. A few channels I watched (can't remember right, think Soup might have used them as well as Unsher Fabrications(?)) had them and stuck them on their cars. Then heard feck all about it afterwards.

They do. I keep asking them to send me a generator so I can make a video with Ami and they keep saying no and offering me turbos and coilovers instead 

This chat inspired me to look at the analytics on my own channel.

I discovered there was a big spike in viewing one day.

yt3.jpg.364a4f0d42640f5e95883d8de685b5c0.jpg

Something happened on the 19th of November.

yt2.jpg.7cd99258afbc20618a297f3427a88dde.jpg

It turned out that one of my videos, that I had uploaded in 2009, caught a mild bit of viralness.

yt4.jpg.a617e1f110fd2117b0d38ec22316c580.jpg

It's a pity those sort of one day figures have never happened to any of my other videos. I might have a few more than 1,000 subs and still be getting revenue from ads.

I used to get revenue until YouTube changed the requirements to 1,000 subs and what ever the amount of hours viewing. When it changed I kind of lost interest in building up views and uploading stuff. Before the change I was uploading stuff every week from events that I went to, but then the enthusiasm dwindled and I rarely post stuff now. In the early days you could upload crap and people would watch, but as the content has gotten better in production and I have not got a face for TV or a voice for radio, I can not compete with the stuff that's posted these days.

The last videos that I uploaded have had the following views.

yt5.jpg.09d9a1743d6147450040fbcfe5ee0bb0.jpg

When you compare those with almost identical videos that were uploaded in 2016, the amount of views for low budget action footage has tailed off quite a bit. It used to be worth the effort, but when 4 videos can only just scrap past the total views that the worst of a batch used to get, then spending a day filming and another day editing it's just soul destroying.

yt6.jpg.e0e642fca76599c034ecf6422d5721ea.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

Yep

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!

Ive just had a crisis.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Ive just had a crisis.

I stumbled across his channel recently so had all the back catalogue to go through!

54 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

the amount of views for low budget action footage has tailed off quite a bit

It's this tendency to professionalise everything I think, over time.

I mean you can't be an alcoholic and a functional professional footballer in 2024, but you could up until about the 1990s. I'm not saying that was a good thing, but it's how it was.

Leads to a cleaner and more predictable world, but not necessarily a more fun one.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Ive just had a crisis.

Mick is a top chap. And his Skoda is hilarious. I was lucky enough to try it before and after K swap.

5 hours ago, egg said:

Something I've learnt from this thread is how there are many 'quite big' car channels that I've never heard even heard of. Tough old world out there competing for the 👀

I'll throw Joe Hewes into the mix..

Dennis Collins has gone full rivet counter in his Jeep and muscle car rescues. 

Gas Monkey is just about the merchandise now,even has his own beer now.

On 23/05/2024 at 13:27, junkyarddog said:

I used to enjoy watching BOM Project Binky,but that seems to be dried up now.

Me too.

On 23/05/2024 at 15:08, 5speedracer said:

There was an update on the channel from Richard a month or so back that made it sound like regular vids were on the way back. The MG and the race transporter projects were mentioned. Nothing since.

I hope so

On 23/05/2024 at 15:41, cort16 said:

I've kind of run of of steam with them. I've been watching on youtube for years and just when it looked like it was a video or two from completion it all stopped. The over complexity of it can get a bit tiring too, sometimes you just want them to get on with it. 

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again (to anyone who will listen, but it certainly wont be Richard because he thinks Im wrong for even suggesting it)
but BOTH Binky and Escargot are both so drastically changed from their original base starting point as to need SVA and re-registering, yet the impression I got from comments to a question on You Tube about this, was that Their MOT tester wouldn't bother about it as long as the registration matched the log book which made me think they might be trying to avoid SVA, and I really hope Im wrong about that.
But now the end is nigh, well, perhaps that is why its all stalled BECAUSE:SVA

Given the popularity of the video and the fact that both vehicles are pretty recognisable I cant see how they could avoid an SVA because realistically just how much of the original Mini is left?

image.png.4b23be73a57d16c3057c0c714ceb5dc9.png

I am under the impression that Binky (and to a lesser extent Escargot) are video showcases of what BOM can achieve for their main business of race preparation - they actually achieved a lot more of this with the Citybug/C1 race videos IMH, but Binky certainly proves that they can engineer their way out of a lot of complex problems, and its possible the videos drummed up some business for the firm.

3 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

BOTH Binky and Escargot are both so drastically changed from their original base starting point as to need SVA and re-registering, yet the impression I got from comments to a question on You Tube about this, was that Their MOT tester wouldn't bother about it as long as the registration matched the log book which made me think they might be trying to avoid SVA, and I really hope Im wrong about that.

I read a lot about this when planning the Lada. You need a minimum of 7 points to keep the cars original plates. The chassis makes up 5 of that, axle is 2, gearbox is 2, engine 1, steering is 1, suspension is 2 (off the top of my head). So you are right about it.

Thing is anyone who works for the DVSA etc who are having a particularly bad day only need to see it being driven on the road and fuck them for it. 

• Agree 1

On 23/05/2024 at 15:41, cort16 said:

The over complexity of it can get a bit tiring too, sometimes you just want them to get on with it.

That was my annoyance with it as well. I admire the craftsmanship, but there came a point where the over engineering started to feel like a piss take to stretch the series out. Brackets that needed brackets to hold a clamp that would secure the wiring loom in place etc.... great, Or given it's all going to be under the carpet anyway, you could have just used a fucking cable tie and been done with it? 😂

• Like 2

I watch just a handful of motoring channels on YT, some more than others. As with any content, one man's food is another man's poison.

Binky etc. - I was hoping the BOM boys had thrown out a little bit of content aside from a few shorts since their announcement, but we don't know what's happened behind the scenes.

HubNut - Been watching from very early days when the channel was called Classichub. I enjoy watching the videos where there is interaction between Ian and Miss Hub-nut, I think she has quite the sense of humour, and she's not afraid to get her hands dirty. And if the Hublets want to learn about car stuff then why not include them in the videos?

Furious - I prefer his car reviews over his tinkering. Same with Steph. Mostly the choices of their own personal cars largely don't interest me.

Up N Down - I quite like Kitch's presenting style, again the cars he owns and/or works on interest me.

US car channels don't interest me mainly because I'm not really into American cars.

However I don't just think it's car channels which are going off the boil. Some of what were my favourite channels haven't produced anything of interest to me. Techmoan hasn't produced anything which really captures me for ages, LGR is mainly about The Sims and Windows 3.1 and later, whereas until 5 years ago he covered a wider range of systems. 8-Bit guy throws mostly crap out once a month now, normally something which just happens to have a port of one of the games he's written.

• Agree 2

To be honest, it's just TV shows with unknown people creating new content that actual television organisations couldn't produce without spending serious £££s.

YouTube was great, and even the adverts weren't too intrusive, but now it's everywhere on everything to a point where I sometimes find it bursts right in the middle every 2/3 minutes.

Just like television shows though, at first there will be interested viewers but then they'll start to fall away in dribs and drabs to a point where only core viewers are left.

Some will follow boring and overused formats such as click bait pictures (head in hands "I've just bought a..." or "oh no, this happened!").

I generally watch SalvageRebuildsUK, they seem to have a good format going in sourcing cars and parts. I've watched about 90% of their content, other stuff like the motorbikes and boat were a little uninteresting for me.

Furious has left me a bit cold, not really watched many videos of his for a couple of months. I understand that he needs to keep viewers interested by trying new things like buying and selling etc... but it doesn't seem to be working sadly, otherwise he seems like a proper friendly and enthusiastic guy.

Didn't realise Dougie from OnceBittenForeverSmitten was offline. Again, some of his videos didn't interest me towards the end, lots of track days instead of Vauxhall fettling and so on. Good to know he is still busy and around.

I keep my viewing varied, with good content creators like JagoHazzard, TechmoanDashCamsUK/Netherlands Dash Cams and new stuff like Betty on a boat etc... whilst trains and boats aren't my usual fair but in fairness they are interesting in their own way and very well done by the creators.

BigCar is one I like and I think I've seen all of his videos. I think because his style is much like a JagoHazzard (but seen on film) calm, collective and very informative but still on the topic of cars. I'm aware that he is originally a Midlands lad (possibly from Wolverhampton?) who has lived in the US for over 20 years. So a touch of personal history is also interesting. 

1 minute ago, Lord Sterling said:

JagoHazzard

He's pretty good to be fair. I like his snarky and sarcastic style, and his content is well researched and will hold his hands up if he's made an error.

18 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

DashCamsUK

Stopped watching that when most of the videos being submitted were people deliberately driving like cunts.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

This chat inspired me to look at the analytics on my own channel.

I discovered there was a big spike in viewing one day.

yt3.jpg.364a4f0d42640f5e95883d8de685b5c0.jpg

Something happened on the 19th of November.

yt2.jpg.7cd99258afbc20618a297f3427a88dde.jpg

It turned out that one of my videos, that I had uploaded in 2009, caught a mild bit of viralness.

yt4.jpg.a617e1f110fd2117b0d38ec22316c580.jpg

It's a pity those sort of one day figures have never happened to any of my other videos. I might have a few more than 1,000 subs and still be getting revenue from ads.

I used to get revenue until YouTube changed the requirements to 1,000 subs and what ever the amount of hours viewing. When it changed I kind of lost interest in building up views and uploading stuff. Before the change I was uploading stuff every week from events that I went to, but then the enthusiasm dwindled and I rarely post stuff now. In the early days you could upload crap and people would watch, but as the content has gotten better in production and I have not got a face for TV or a voice for radio, I can not compete with the stuff that's posted these days.

The last videos that I uploaded have had the following views.

yt5.jpg.09d9a1743d6147450040fbcfe5ee0bb0.jpg

When you compare those with almost identical videos that were uploaded in 2016, the amount of views for low budget action footage has tailed off quite a bit. It used to be worth the effort, but when 4 videos can only just scrap past the total views that the worst of a batch used to get, then spending a day filming and another day editing it's just soul destroying.

yt6.jpg.e0e642fca76599c034ecf6422d5721ea.jpg

What is your channel name please, I'd like to give you a sub.

(edit) No worries, just found it and subbed!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Some will follow boring and overused formats such as click bait pictures (head in hands "I've just bought a..." or "oh no, this happened!").

Hoovie, for example, has a format nailed to the point of monotony.

EP 1. 'I bought the cheapest X in the country (Sometimes do something silly with it or have some sort of calamity)'

EP 2 'Take it to the car wizard, find out what is wrong' (Has started to combine 1 and 2 now and then)

EP 3 'This was what was done and how much i paid, Let's get updates on some other cars and drive it home'

EP 4 'I'm selling my X on Dougs website'

He's lurched into the typical US clickbait thing now though.

I also find his constant whining about being 'scammed', views dropping and pleading poverty absolutely obnoxious now as well, the guy is swimming in cash and assets. Sure, he'll be financed up to his eyeballs in some areas, but for someone that's apparently so broke, he seems to have no bother at all dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on new properties, new workshops at 30+k, building dream houses, garages, farms, renting out barns, aircraft hangars etc, all whilst regularly stood infront of Ferraris, Lamborghines, Merc supercars etc whilst spending about 10k a month at the car wizards. He could buy and sell 90% of creators on Youtube. And that's him  allegedly broke? 😂

As it's been mentioned a few times, is there any channel that has changed presenters (or tried to) and become more successful? Because as a rule it seems people do tune in for an individual personality.

2 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

He's lurched into the typical US clickbait thing now though.

That wrong'un Russell Brand has gone the whole hog on this now with titles like

'it's happening' 

'it's over'

'it's started'

Just stuff to get your nervous system to click....(Scotty Kilmer is the worse dude for this in the car world)

1 minute ago, egg said:

Scotty Kilmer is the worst shouty cunt in the world

FTFY.

Has he posted his latest 'Goodbye, I'm quitting Youtube' video this week yet?

Episode 3016 of that series and the shouty cunt still hasn't gone.

• Haha 6

Watch a few 
VGG although it is getting a bit repetative 
Sleeperdude - often funny and good varied content with added family and pets 
NNKH - Vary varied with cars , boats and other random bits , he really does know his stuff and the drone footage is great .
Budget Buildz - again varied and interesting and the one i watch the most , his series on a scrapyard found 911 build was great , doesnt post very often though .
Dead Dodge Garage - basically all about dead or half dead Mopar stuff . He makes it interesting even though il props never get a proper US Mopar , learnt a lot from him il never use but hes an interesting bloke to watch .
Tasty Classics - at last a UK based one , not bad all in all 

Thats my lot