collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Like most stuff post Brexit (excluding living/working in Europe of course), its still doable, it just costs shitloads more than it used to.

Have useful skill, be an asset to the country not a burden and apply for a work visa for a job they can find a resident to do. Shame we didn't do that route before opening the floodgates.

Likewise living there, you'll just need money and not being a burden on the state.

Dont fucking get me started on this ill-informed shit. I've had years of it already. I'm now putting you on immediate block for the good of my own mental health

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Dont fucking get me started on this ill-informed shit. I've had years of it already. I'm now putting you on immediate block for the good of my own mental health

No worries, there's none so blind as those who won't hear.

I wouldn't say ill informed as I managed to do it for Aus and NZ without using an agent, both of which are notoriously picky. I'm sure you could do the same if you wanted to.

14 hours ago, 2flags said:

Just a thought. If you are passing some of these out of the way garages or car spares shops, would it be worth your while to call in a see if they had any old stock on the shelves? I know it's a long shot, but it may just turn up a master cylinder, a clutch, wheel bearings, or brakes. Just an idea.

Like the UK most old time car spares shops and garages have now closed down. 

Car parts are mainly online for delivery - parts for old cars reside on LeBonCoin and are fairly easily accessible through there.

There is an active Simca club where parts will also be traded and at the many car events.

https://www.clubsimcafrance.fr/

There is plenty of stuff about as France is full of sheds and barns full of old kit.

None of this will be easily accessible tho during the timeframe of this trip. 

• Like 2

Right I've cancelled my train from Alfreton  to Peterborough and booked a 'rented driveway'-type car parking spot near Peterboro station. Overall I'm £10 down which is no big deal, but more concerning is finishing a 600-mile journey with an 80-mile A-frame 'flourish', its stress I can do without tbh. Short of spending £200 on a taxi run to Stansted (which doesn't feel at all within the spirit of the whole shite mission) I am struggling to think of a better idea however.

I'm defo gonna get some ear plugs in mind you

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Shite island strikes again!!!! The home-Peterborough leg of my train to Stansted is now cancelled, thanks to strikes that have been going on for almost 2 years now and are so frequent that they don't even feature on the news any more. Zero trains to Peterborough on that day now. Le sigh.

Is that the Liverpool - Norwich EMT service?  Could you potentially get a train to London and then the Stansted Express to the airport?  Would probably cost a bit more but would avoid the whole A-frame thing.

I did look at travelling form Ambergate to Stansted, it involved 4 journeys including a tube ride, which I judged to be just too many separate opportunities for something to go tits up and make me miss my flight

what would legality be of turning up at Calai with an ex AA recovery truck with a piece of classic Frog chod on the back, but wearing an old British number plate? I know registering would be a PITA, but would you still get clobbered with VAT etc?

26 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

what would legality be of turning up at Calai with an ex AA recovery truck with a piece of classic Frog chod on the back, but wearing an old British number plate? I know registering would be a PITA, but would you still get clobbered with VAT etc?

Ooh I like it 🕵🏻‍♂️

re: driving 600 miles in one day.

We drove down to le cap d'Agde in our bay window and divided the journey into 3 X 300 mile sections. The VW  has a similar 4 speed box and cruises happily at a not too dissimilar 55 mph...

And we were absolutely fucking fucked when we got there.

57 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

They'd ask to see the V5 for the car on the back, and that would be the end of that adventure. It also doesn't solve any problems as physically getting over the border isn't an issue, it's that HMRC no longer accept NOVA applications from anyone except registered 'agents'.

7 minutes ago, barrett said:

They'd ask to see the V5 for the car on the back, and that would be the end of that adventure. It also doesn't solve any problems as physically getting over the border isn't an issue, it's that HMRC no longer accept NOVA applications from anyone except registered 'agents'.

Who takes their v5 on a motoring holiday?

Just now, jim89 said:

Everyone. Carrying your V5 and insurance documents is a legal requirement for overseas driving.

1 minute ago, jim89 said:

Every one who doesn't want it impounded.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, barrett said:

Everyone. Carrying your V5 and insurance documents is a legal requirement for overseas driving.

😳 It's clearly been a while 😂

This sounds like excellent value adventuring, with potential equal amounts of soul nourishment/destruction. Have you driven/owned many of these? And will you get chance to pay a visit to l'hangar du Sac, to check on the French fleet?

I reckon the rear end on the hatchback is an absolutely inspired bit of design. Can't wait for some live reporting action. Also looking forward to some hard-core UK number plates choices- I know you'll do us proud and avoid any post-2001 font tosh.

Finally, a silly question, since I'm sure you've done your research. But the DVLA seems to mention not needing to use a 3rd party to get a NOVA declared?

Screenshot_20240501_072859_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.f3cea8c15c65898f37612c6d7323cebf.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/telling-hmrc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

This sounds like excellent value adventuring, with potential equal amounts of soul nourishment/destruction. Have you driven/owned many of these? And will you get chance to pay a visit to l'hangar du Sac, to check on the French fleet?

I reckon the rear end on the hatchback is an absolutely inspired bit of design. Can't wait for some live reporting action. Also looking forward to some hard-core UK number plates choices- I know you'll do us proud and avoid any post-2001 font tosh.

Finally, a silly question, since I'm sure you've done your research. But the DVLA seems to mention not needing to use a 3rd party to get a NOVA declared?

Screenshot_20240501_072859_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.f3cea8c15c65898f37612c6d7323cebf.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/telling-hmrc

Ah ze plot it thins mes amis non?

You could park your car on my Dad’s drive in Birmingham and MEGABUS it down to Stansted (no idea if that’s realistically possible) 

I got the bus from Birmingham to Stansted once.

It was one of the worst journeys of my life and that includes bus journeys in Bolivia which included crashes, getting stuck in floods, exploding tyres and broken propshafts

7 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

image.png.9be7726c983f40712888aacdf9915eb7.png

aaaaahhhhhhhhh.....

image.png.feb7a66a3df869e1878612ed80d3620a.png

That is a flipping ace album and a total deviation from the likes of '3am Eternal' et al.  It's a bit 'BBC sound effects Vol 3' in places but it's meant to represent a journey through the southern States of the US. 

Yeah I think you can still do the NOVA yourself tbh. But before it can be completed the HMRC crew need to know the import taxes have been paid and that's where you need a pro I think (makes sense right? They're answerable to HMRC for making sure they collect the right amount) and you end up paying them for their services. I think once they have done that bit the NOVA is a bit of a formality, and the broker will already have the sales paperwork and the reg doc so its just a few button presses for him to do the NOVA for you.

That is my perception of how it works, but I'll let you all know what happens when I go through the process myself

13 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Has anyone got any top tips for long stay parking in Peterborough??

umm avoid the place, no sorry

I know when I look at bikes on ebay there are always loads that are USA imports. They say the nova thing is done and you can register it for £55. I always think 'why don't they just do it and save other the hassle?' Is it just another way of saving themselves £55? 

5 hours ago, barefoot said:

re: driving 600 miles in one day.

We drove down to le cap d'Agde in our bay window and divided the journey into 3 X 300 mile sections. The VW  has a similar 4 speed box and cruises happily at a not too dissimilar 55 mph...

And we were absolutely fucking fucked when we got there.

Isn't getting fucked senseless the whole idea of going to Cap D'Agde in the first place?

10 hours ago, barrett said:

Oh. I've never once taken my V5 anywhere. Oops.