2008 LTI TX4.....3 month, 4,500miles, zero* faults

chancer

1 minute ago, warren t claim said:

edair1.thumb.png.d62e97a900b30be9bf11b9794d532e4a.png

My longest 7 passenger job therefore with someone in the E7 jump seat. He didn't complain once!

Thats a decent job! We have the contract for the railways so any time the trains go off we are sent from glasgow central to carlisle usually. Decent pay, and normally doubled up with a run home again. These are no problem in the E7/Merc/ProCab but an absolute nightmare in a TX

Just now, chancer said:

Thats a decent job! We have the contract for the railways so any time the trains go off we are sent from glasgow central to carlisle usually. Decent pay, and normally doubled up with a run home again. These are no problem in the E7/Merc/ProCab but an absolute nightmare in a TX

£650 iirc. Easy Jet were going to reimburse them apparently. For an airport in a capital city, Edinburgh is a dump and resembles a National Express coach depot.

We've got our local train contract too. As well as that we've got other stuff like providing onward travel for the AA and RAC. 

4 minutes ago, chancer said:

Actually, thinking about this. Its normally the van conversions that get sent south. The TX's normally get sent north to Fort William amd Oban, usually when its snowing. The dispatchers obviously know the TX are for winners and the van drivers just cant handle it 😄

3 minutes ago, chancer said:

Actually, thinking about this. Its normally the van conversions that get sent south. The TX's normally get sent north to Fort William amd Oban, usually when its snowing. The dispatchers obviously know the TX are for winners and the van drivers just cant handle it 😄

The TX is utterly wank in the snow. And that's coming from someone who's owned six cylinder Capris and E21 BMWs!

3 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

£650 iirc. Easy Jet were going to reimburse them apparently. For an airport in a capital city, Edinburgh is a dump and resembles a National Express coach depot.

We've got our local train contract too. As well as that we've got other stuff like providing onward travel for the AA and RAC. 

Haha easy jet reimbursing 650 quid for a 29 quid flight. Few weeks before xmas i counted upwards of 60 of our fleet on the M74 southbound and showing up in places like carlisle and beyond. Each one of they cabs would be on around 300 quid one way, and picking up another job for the return. And they wonder why our train fares are so expensive

Just now, chancer said:

Haha easy jet reimbursing 650 quid for a 29 quid flight. Few weeks before xmas i counted upwards of 60 of our fleet on the M74 southbound and showing up in places like carlisle and beyond. Each one of they cabs would be on around 300 quid one way, and picking up another job for the return. And they wonder why our train fares are so expensive

In my TX thread on here, I gave details of a £550+ job taking a wheelchair punter to South West London. Apparently I'm cheaper than an ambulance.

Just now, warren t claim said:

The TX is utterly wank in the snow. And that's coming from someone who's owned six cylinder Capris and E21 BMWs!

I've driven them in snow and always thought they were decent. Always manual transmission though. But, to be fair, when it snows I finish the job i'm on, proceed to the off licence, and stock up enough to see the weather break. Fuck that. So my experience of TX on snow is this....drop off passenger, head to off licence, stock up until it passes. Now I think of it, tx's could probably be pish in snow hahaha

3 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

In my TX thread on here, I gave details of a £550+ job taking a wheelchair punter to South West London. Apparently I'm cheaper than an ambulance.

Get the feeling that Ambulance Unions got involved here....how dare they ask them poor folks to blue light someone any distance. Get a fuckin hack driver to do it instead. And if they die on route, its cabbies problem. Cunts

Just now, chancer said:

Get the feeling that Ambulance Unions got involved here....how dare they ask them poor folks to blue light someone any distance. Get a fuckin hack driver to do it instead. And if they die on route, its cabbies problem. Cunts

She only had a broken leg and needed transport home.

What's your policy on securing wheelchairs?

Just now, warren t claim said:

She only had a broken leg and needed transport home.

What's your policy on securing wheelchairs?

Fair enough. Up here in Scotland we have patient transport ambulances for that kind of work, and also volunteers who take them in private cars for mileage reimbursement. For wheelchairs we must use ramps and clamps, and also seatbelts. I have a beezer of a story from xmas 2022 though, and i should share it at some point....im gubbed and heading to bed, but in the next day or so I shall share it in the cabbies story thread...

52 minutes ago, chancer said:

Haha, i doubt it will come to that. These things are worth more in spares to keep the ageing fleets going in towns where they dont give a fuck about pollution levels. This one will go back once the LEZ goes live and every single working part will be stripped and shelved.

Think of this as a low cost, no liability thread. Its literally worth about 3 times its value in parts

aww thats a shame I was looking forward to the roffle LOL

but its interesting how the economics of taxis work, how much is a working TX up there?

here in London Fresh out of plate ones (currently 11-61 plates) with some MOT seem to be around the £2K mark if ebay is anything to by

I assume things are locked in such that an ex London cab cant be replated for Glasgow use unless its something green like an LEVC?

45 minutes ago, chancer said:

TX1's and 2's are worth fuck all here as well. The 4's get cannibalised. Not sure what the availability of new parts are, but i guess its not great. When i picked this one up, the garage had just taken delivery of a brand new TX4 with the 2.5 ford engine. I was a bit jealous

interesting, when ya say Brand new TX4 but with a 2.5 ford engine, I assume ya mean one of these?

https://www.vehiclerepoweringsolutions.com/new-cabs-for-sale

I have seen the odd one in my research (including one in the late registration madness thread on here :) ) I wonder how they are holding up/how they compare to a regular LTI TX4

curiously they are registered with the DVLA as VRS's and not LTI's I think because of the different engine etc they have to go through their own type approval/IVA

I do wonder where they get the TX4's themselves from are they shipped complete but engineless from China or whever Geely makes them now, or are they more of a CKD?  

shame they aint on the motability scheme! 

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

Are you sure it was a ZX? The early Xantia has a drivers seat that cripples me after a few miles.

TX1,2&4 driver comfort varies from cab to cab. The black TX I've mentioned had a great seat but the tilt adjustment was jammed in the wrong position for me. The later blue TX had a pretty shagged out seat but I could get more comfy behind the wheel as all the adjustments still worked. Although banned in Liverpool about six years ago, fitting a Volvo drivers seat was commonplace back in the day.

Would you not be better off looking for a car fitted with cruise control? No TX ever came equipped with it.

P260GOC if you wanna look it up :)  I also learnt clutch control in it alongside the Lada Riva Estate (L212HBW) and I dont recall it crippling me then, so go figure...

yeah on the black cab front I was warned that the driving position in them can be pretty cramped,

however that being said, in a regular car for me to get into a position such that I feel I can actuate all the pedals fully, I usually end up in an OAP type driving position right against the steer wheel anyhow LOL (which I do wonder if that might contribute to my pains but I digress)

17 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Are you bored with it yet @chancer

Not at all. Its been brilliant since i got it, still feels well screwed together, and it in far better condition bodywise than a lot of the newer cabs on the ranks. Considering replacing it with a brand new one later in the year, dont like the looks of the new transit cab thats about to go into production 

23 minutes ago, chancer said:

Not at all. Its been brilliant since i got it, still feels well screwed together, and it in far better condition bodywise than a lot of the newer cabs on the ranks. Considering replacing it with a brand new one later in the year, dont like the looks of the new transit cab thats about to go into production 

I have to admit I find it most curious given how slagged off the TX was on here, how both you and @warren t claim have warmed up to them since jumping back in I wonder whats changed :) 

I mean are modern cars just that shit it makes previous shit look less shit? :mrgreen:

I mean I am not complaining given that I am seriously considering one, its nice to hear they are perhaps not as shit as everyone makes em out to be

when you say a brand new one, are you referring to the Petrol LPG TX4's that are still being punted out or the LEVC Electric hybrid machine? either way if you do get a new one I am most interested in hearing about the whole process of it all and how it goes

especially if you get one of the LPG TX4's, I still wonder where they get the actual cabs themselves from, are they supplied complete from Geely or as CKD's etc

4 minutes ago, barefoot said:

A shiny pound coin says you never ever buy a TX anything.

I'll put a shiny two pound coin to say he'll never buy anything at all as a normal car suitable for 99.9% of the population (including those with specific needs) isn't good enough and the fantasy will continue to play out.

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I have to admit I find it most curious given how slagged off the TX was on here, how both you and @warren t claim have warmed up to them since jumping back in I wonder whats changed :) 

I mean are modern cars just that shit it makes previous shit look less shit? :mrgreen:

I mean I am not complaining given that I am seriously considering one, its nice to hear they are perhaps not as shit as everyone makes em out to be

when you say a brand new one, are you referring to the Petrol LPG TX4's that are still being punted out or the LEVC Electric hybrid machine? either way if you do get a new one I am most interested in hearing about the whole process of it all and how it goes

especially if you get one of the LPG TX4's, I still wonder where they get the actual cabs themselves from, are they supplied complete from Geely or as CKD's etc

They arent shit as you say, i mean this one has covered around 450k and still continues to soldier on, but they are clearly a dated design and it shows. Where the van converted cabs are a nice place to sit and drive, they lack the feeling of driving a proper cab. 

I wouldnt consider an LEVC cab for 3 main reasons. 1st, the cost is eye watering. 2nd its electric with petrol engine. 3rd the battery range is 64miles! I can do double that on a busy shift. Therefore the electric side of it is wasted, its a petrol cab with inflated purchase price.

I am seriously considering the VRS TX4, its 40k to buy brand new, and should last 10-15 years when looked after. A transit van will struggle with that tbh. I have no idea where they get the shells, probably have bought all the tooling or something like that

9 minutes ago, stuboy said:

im being thick not asking what VM stands for?

VM Motori is an italian engine manufacturer. They supplied the engines for the TX4 model taxi when it was introduced in 2007. Previous to that, the TX2 had a ford engine from the transit, and before that the TX1 used the bulletproof 2.7 Nissan lump. 

I have no idea why there wasnt a TX3 though.....

Just now, chancer said:

VM Motori is an italian engine manufacturer. They supplied the engines for the TX4 model taxi when it was introduced in 2007. Previous to that, the TX2 had a ford engine from the transit, and before that the TX1 used the bulletproof 2.7 Nissan lump. 

thank you for explaining as i didnt understand what VM, i thinking GM 

4 minutes ago, chancer said:

Is it the 2.5/2.8 VM that Jeep used in the KJ? Not a bad engine - ours chugged along nicely, thank you very much.

19 minutes ago, chancer said:

They arent shit as you say, i mean this one has covered around 450k and still continues to soldier on, but they are clearly a dated design and it shows. Where the van converted cabs are a nice place to sit and drive, they lack the feeling of driving a proper cab. 

I wouldnt consider an LEVC cab for 3 main reasons. 1st, the cost is eye watering. 2nd its electric with petrol engine. 3rd the battery range is 64miles! I can do double that on a busy shift. Therefore the electric side of it is wasted, its a petrol cab with inflated purchase price.

I am seriously considering the VRS TX4, its 40k to buy brand new, and should last 10-15 years when looked after. A transit van will struggle with that tbh. I have no idea where they get the shells, probably have bought all the tooling or something like that

interesting, I look forward to seeing you get the VRS TX4 if you do go down that route, there something I find most curious, but I cant find much online about them

I mean its very Autoshite, a vehicle that most people thought discontinued years ago, is still being produced :) 

I guess this also means a good parts supply guarantee for older TX4's also 

27 minutes ago, chancer said:

as I understand it they jumped right to TX4, since one of the big features of the of that model at the time of introduction was that it was Euro 4 compliant, and then I think there was a bit of cashing in on the old "FX4" name similarity 

1 hour ago, chancer said:

Plenty of bus drivers would fancy working a week driving a Routemaster but after a week I'm sure that they'd be longing to get back into their Alexander Dennis hybrid.

erad1.thumb.png.7e2985b759695fa42181dceb33f6c736.png

A VRS is a cab made of paten parts from pattern parts!

1 hour ago, chancer said:

I have no idea how long you've been in the trade for but I was there when the TX2 was introduced to much fanfare. It only took a few months for the DMF issues to start to put buyers off. LTI resorted to making a point that the TX2 now shares an engine with the Land Rover and lads who've been in the job longer than me were quick to point out that the last time a Land Rover engine was put into a cab it was a disaster. LTI dealers were punting out the final TX1s for more than they could sell a TX2 for with many gathering moss. 

13 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Plenty of bus drivers would fancy working a week driving a Routemaster but after a week I'm sure that they'd be longing to get back into their Alexander Dennis hybrid.

erad1.thumb.png.7e2985b759695fa42181dceb33f6c736.png

A VRS is a cab made of paten parts from pattern parts!

That screenshot refers to the LEVC electric taxi. The VRS is an actual TX4 with the Gen4 system of Ford 2.5ltr petrol engine with LPG. Seems to be a good system

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

A lot of it is down to the use case of the driver. If I worked days on the Asda or station rank a Nissan powered TX bought for £2000 plated makes perfect sense. In fact, in some ways it's the best tool for the job as passengers can cope with conventional doors better and they don't need the step putting out. They'll cope with passengers, prams and shopping just fine and as a bonus the electric wheelchair punters will wait for an E7.