Please rescue this X1/9!

Miniman

After a long time away from this site, and forgetting my passwords, I have set up a new account. The prime reason for this was to get someone to rescue this poor little X1/9 which has been parked on a development in South London since around the start of the pandemic. I don't know why the owner doesn't do something with it, it's not in a terrible state but will only get worse with time in the British weather. It's parked on Massingberd Way SW17, I don't know who the owner is but you could try and leave a note on the windscreen if you're interested.

thumbnail_IMG_0297.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0298.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0686.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0687.jpg

It may not need 'saving'. That clamp probably belongs to the owner. They may be waiting on something or just not in a hurry. Ask about by all means - but I'd think it's not for sale.

I get notes - or did - on my Landcruiser from time to time. Now I've put a small notice inside the windscreen 'this vehicle is not for sale' - it's deterred those wanting to save it.

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

I can't remember the last time i saw one & then it was the later 1500.

I hope that gets saved. Proper mini Ferrari ( but better imo).

Two weeks ago @ Letchworth - this one went through, first one I'd seen in years tbh,
image.png.342f04d6eb6dc2482d95a0b15a141109.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

It may not need 'saving'. That clamp probably belongs to the owner. They may be waiting on something or just not in a hurry. Ask about by all means - but I'd think it's not for sale.

I get notes - or did - on my Landcruiser from time to time. Now I've put a small notice inside the windscreen 'this vehicle is not for sale' - it's deterred those wanting to save it.

I think this too. 

DVLA are about the only ones that clamp and they do it for tax reasons. They also leave massive stickers all over the windscreen mentioning it's untaxed to prove a point to on lookers. 

Council just ticket.

Police tow if in the way.

This looks to be on private property and it's not legal anymore for third parties (that aren't paid by the government) to clamp.

Let's face it, it's an old, easy to nick car in London. If you owned it you'd possibly be worried about it being joy ridden and the such. 

• Like 3

That's not a DVLA clamp so probably done by the owner.

Worth asking about, but what is the sticker inside the windscreen?  Resident's parking permit, or, This car is/is not for sale?

It's a May 1977 registration and was a club car, so it's known 

Ticket lapsed May 2020 and no mention of corrosion on advisories back then. Had number of areas of welding in 2014 that had held up

Considering what they are and can do, the values in UK are very very low.  They were criminally cheap even ten years back when I had my clean 1500

Get it bought!  Etc. 

Start towing it away, that’s normally what happens when people see a classic car on someone’s driveway. It’s almost like you have to justify why you’ve got a classic car these days, if someone wants to leave it on their drive that’s their business?

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Start towing it away, that’s normally what happens when people see a classic car on someone’s driveway. It’s almost like you have to justify why you’ve got a classic car these days, if someone wants to leave it on their drive that’s their business?

This is news to me. Never heard of that, apart from good old theft and crime has always been established. It's not a modern problem

2 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

This is news to me. Never heard of that, apart from good old theft and crime has always been established. It's not a modern problem

They weren’t really worth towing away when they were worth £50. I just go off the back of the posts on various groups there you see a car on a driveway and the usuals pop up going ‘they should sell it’ or ‘that’s disgraceful how they are leaving it like that’. Perhaps they’re getting round to it or any number of reasons. 

By all means, if someone wants to buy it, leave a note - but what the owner does with it is their business. It doesn't need 'saving' as the clamp  suggests that someone cares - but there is nothing wrong with offering to buy it.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

When my Landcruiser is parked outside I have a steering lock bar fixed to the steering wheel, a chain through one of the wheels and it is chained through the chassis to a lamp post. 

Since I put the note inside - notes under the screen have stopped - but in the past - it's been the usual old game:

Them: "Do you want to sell that mate?" Etc etc etc. I must say personally I find it very annoying. I bet if I had a classic Landrover it would be even worse.

As if all old cars are a marketplace. When I stared out in the 1970's with classic cars they were considered mostly an eccentric joke - now they are treated like the stock exchange. Same old rusty bangers mostly. 

Oh for the days of Jelopy...🤣

It used to be this green

43329.jpg

Wish it still was, to be fair.  Not that Chicken Korma colour!  But you can at least spot it from way off

Screenshot2023-10-13141952.thumb.png.48c5c175695e9d1387666329c3da359f.png

I'm not worried about it though, those 2-bed flats in Tooting are currently worth £550k+ a piece, or £1,900 pcm rent.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/london/massingberd-way/

When my Landcruiser is parked outside I have a steering lock bar fixed to the steering wheel, a chain through one of the wheels and it is chained through the chassis to a lamp post. 

Since I put the note inside - notes under the screen have stopped - but in the past - it's been the usual old game:

Them: "Do you want to sell that mate?" Etc etc etc. I must say personally I find it very annoying. I bet if I had a classic Landrover it would be even worse.

As if all old cars are a marketplace. When I stared out in the 1970's with classic cars they were considered mostly an eccentric joke - now they are treated like the stock exchange. Same old rusty bangers mostly. 

If it was a classic Landrover it would have just gone in the night, no note nor nothing. 

Even more annoying are the persistent cunts who say "Everything is always for sale, mate" when you tell them it isn't. Used to have that problem with my old Beetle,

5 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Even more annoying are the persistent cunts who say "Everything is always for sale, mate" when you tell them it isn't. Used to have that problem with my old Beetle,

On that basis I might ring up Jeff Bezos, everything’s for sale so I’ll bid him on Amazon. It wouldn’t be so bad but they’ve got fuck all to offer so it’s a pointless interaction. 

On 14/10/2023 at 09:52, barefoot said:

When I am inevitably asked if my T2 is for sale, I reply, 'yes but it's £50,000'.

Yea - the enquirees are often carpetbaggers who are not genuinely after the vehicle for itself but hope to get it for next to nothing.

I don't engage with people and the note I've left has stopped enquiries. 

But I do know my neighbours were discussing my vehicle with 3rd parties who turned up! They sometimes mention it.

I'd like to say something fruity to them - but in the interests of diplomatic relations - I now counter with - " If you see people hanging about best call the police". Which has now shut them up. 

@sierraman is right - "It’s almost like you have to justify why you’ve got a classic car these days"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Yea - the enquirees are often carpetbaggers who are not genuinely after the vehicle for itself but hope to get it for next to nothing.

I don't engage with people and the note I've left has stopped enquiries. 

But I do know my neighbours were discussing my vehicle with 3rd parties who turned up! They sometimes mention it.

I'd like to say something fruity to them - but in the interests of diplomatic relations - I now counter with - " If you see people hanging about best call the police". Which has now shut them up. 

@sierraman is right - "It’s almost like you have to justify why you’ve got a classic car these days"

It’s like you are mismanaging it, as if you were painting Stonehenge, merely a custodian of it. 😂

• Haha 2