Citroen C1/ Pug 107; Futureshite?

lancashireclamper

Wheras I'm properly happy I've got the oldest car in the work car park now! (not that I ever park there, I'm always too late to get a space...

Me too, if fact I wear it like a badge of honour but Mrs Eunos is a fickle sort. It wouldn't do if we all like the same I suppose.

I had to take my mother's example to a dealer for a recall this week. Chap across the road has one and reckons that it's the modern day mini. It is not. Horribly torque free motor with three gears for normal use and a couple more for the motorway. Jittery ride, wobbly cornering and uncomfortable seats.

I think it would be a better bet with an A series engine, even if the economy suffered a bit.

C1 ....  cam chain , so no cam belt ... so thats no 200 , 300 notes every few years for peace of mind //

car tax ... 20 notes  a year

mpg ...  silly double figures

parking ... fits in most small spots ...

as modern cars go its ok with a claimed top end of 100mph ...  it is a city car with some poke , not really a mile eater ..

as for spare parts ... loads of them around but to be honest its the rear brake pipes and the clutch are the only worry points

Yup, they're not great to drive (at least the two I've tried weren't) but the vast amount of spares/support is appealing, also they're simple and very cheap to run. As mentioned If it were up to me (Unfortunately it's not) I'd be keeping the Lupo as it works perfectly and is superior in almost every way.

I think these will be classic shite when the market is flooded with pogweasel red examples, epic lacquer peel and massive parking dents. They are good cars and a in spirit a modern day Mini, which is brilliant. As long as the engine has been run with oil in it (often not the case I’m afraid), they are easy to fix and cheap as chips to run. When you can pick them up for £300-£400 it will be worth keeping one as a backup car at all time.

Funny. My mother was on a supermini kick. First, a Cinquecento S (899cc), then that left and was replaced with a 107, with the 1.0 lump.

The only thing the 107 did better was accelerate.

It was a totally different car, despite being a similar form factor. The drive was remarkably detached from the road, the Cinq was very Italian in comparison for driving experience.

You could cram allsorts in the Cinq, not so in the 107. Dog would puke in the 107 also.

It was replaced with a Mazda 5, which is in a bigger class but both my parents love it. The old man washes it religiously around all the arches and rotspots, and the engine sees an oil change every 3000 miles.

So, the 107/C1/Aygo? Aye, it's not a bad little car. Quite willing, too podgy for the amount of interior space you get, the seats were appallingly bad and it had horrible snappy understeer. Gears were good, steering was light but over-assisted, boot got wet if it was raining and you opened the hatch (Ford Puma Syndrome), willing little engine which was only good at the redline if you needed to make progress, otherwise rather flat.

Shite? Kinda. It won't go wrong on you, other than all the usual "bought it because it was cheap, never serviced it" problems.

Phil

Funny. My mother was on a supermini kick. First, a Cinquecento S (899cc), then that left and was replaced with a 107, with the 1.0 lump.

The only thing the 107 did better was accelerate.

It was a totally different car, despite being a similar form factor. The drive was remarkably detached from the road, the Cinq was very Italian in comparison for driving experience.

You could cram allsorts in the Cinq, not so in the 107. Dog would puke in the 107 also.

It was replaced with a Mazda 5, which is in a bigger class but both my parents love it. The old man washes it religiously around all the arches and rotspots, and the engine sees an oil change every 3000 miles.

So, the 107/C1/Aygo? Aye, it's not a bad little car. Quite willing, too podgy for the amount of interior space you get, the seats were appallingly bad and it had horrible snappy understeer. Gears were good, steering was light but over-assisted, boot got wet if it was raining and you opened the hatch (Ford Puma Syndrome), willing little engine which was only good at the redline if you needed to make progress, otherwise rather flat.

Shite? Kinda. It won't go wrong on you, other than all the usual "bought it because it was cheap, never serviced it" problems.

Phil

Other opinions are available.