The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Oh God. Oh fuck. Oh shit.

Right, this is getting PROPERLY out of hand now.

I said I wasn't going to discuss Uni again, but this needs airing as I am now properly rattled.

First problem: A lack of funding.

Problem Solved : I found somewhere that can do me a loan, all I have to do is sign on the dotted line. Or Fatha_Wat is willing to take out a loan in his name (long term customer - better interest rate) and I pay 'im back. I have sent an appeal to SFE and they have got back to me saying they've received it and are looking at it.

Second problem : Will need a job.

Problem Solved: Work have said (for the past five months) that there will be part time hours.

Third Problem: Work decides 'there are no more hours.'

Counterpoint \ Translation: There are hours, they are advertising them through Kelly's \ Reed. Translation: We want shut of you, piss off.

Problem Solved: Other Jobs Are Available. Possibility of deferral till 2011. This would allow me to get my finances sorted properly and stay FT.

Fourth Problem: Can I defer?

Problem Solved: Uni says 'Yes you can'. I sent a tentative question by email, along the lines of 'Can it be done, don't do it yet, I'm just asking, can you get back to me, I'm waiting for a reply from SFE and my FT job to make absolutely sure they're not yanking my chain...'

Fifth Problem: On the strength of one email, Salford have deferred me.

FUCK!

Problem Solved: Can they put it back for the time being?

Hang on lads, I think I left the oven on.....

Bloody 'ell. Makes me glad I said bollocks to further ed. What is it you actually want to do Wat? I've personally always opted for the 'I reckon I could do that' approach to work stuff. Blagged myself a career in IT before becoming a writer.

I reckon this approach might have limits - well, hopefully the NHS wouldn't let me blag my way into brain surgery anyway...

Bloody 'ell. Makes me glad I said bollocks to further ed. What is it you actually want to do Wat? I've personally always opted for the 'I reckon I could do that' approach to work stuff. Blagged myself a career in IT before becoming a writer.

I reckon this approach might have limits - well, hopefully the NHS wouldn't let me blag my way into brain surgery anyway...

Haha, erm....broadcast journalism. (OMG IRONY).

It's not as if I haven't got any relevant experience either. On the open day I was blatantly the oldest there (someone asked me if I was the professor running it :oops:) At one point we were asked what we'd done previously.

'I've recorded myself on tape', one said. 'I did a two day internship at Radio 1', said another.

The imaginary bottle got to me. I had to stop listing after 10 minutes and I didn't even get onto the SRA nomination.

The bloody thing has been going back and forth so many times it's concussed before it's even hit the wall and disappeared off into the distance. Crippling blow after crippling blow. My own little dialectic.

I didn't think you could defer on the strength of an email. If work get back to me now, or the other jobs I've applied to decide to take me on, I'm going to look a right nob after everything I've tried to sort out.

That said, if the place can be held open, it's probably the most sensible option, even though, as Karen O once sang, '[i'm] not getting any younger.' The whole thing is incredibly draining, but if I went in 2011 I'd stand a pretty good chance of being financially solvent rather than utterly destitute.

Greengartside - As you probably know through my rant on here, I am the walking epitome of bad luck. Nothing works for me. I dont have a job, no money, my car has blown its engine and is looking like a homeless person sitting outside. Every little thing I do seems to go wrong.

A few years ago I was on top, money, job, car everything......

Something like this can drive people mad and certainly into depression. I've had many'a dark day. Thankfully though I have a good, small set of friends and family.

I see the problems in life merely as a test, something to try and knock you down. I try not dwell too much on the bad things in life, sometimes I even forget about them. I just try and smile and take it on the chin. I dont have time anymore to kick up a fuss.

Sometimes its easier said than done, but you never know until you try.

I dont have a working car but than doesnt stop me from going out and just taking an aimless wonder around some random nice places. I also try and keep myself busy.

Go and see your doctor. Get it off your chest.

I dont know if any of this helps, but I wish you well.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to PetrolPrices.com.

People like me who don't like the look of the misery arsed staff at certain garages log on to that website and 'accidentally' tell lies about their prices so others avoid the place.

Ps: not everybody gets hooked on anti-d's, it is possible in some circumstances to take them for a while and then stop.

Depression. it's a bitch, but you don't ACTUALLY have to put up with it...the best remedy is find something to be positive about ( a lot easier than you think) and avoid all this drugs pish......it's a sure way to destroy yourself, I know as my daughter has gone down the doctor route and is very likely ruined for life..............

STOP IT..............

YOU don't need to be depressed, just decide life is shite and deal with it, it may be JUST another bad day and not a mental/medical problem....

yes you actually do have my understanding, just not my sympathy

Trouble is WVM that if you get depressed it's actually extremely difficult to see that and not that easy to simplify.

If you're having an off day it's easy to snap out of it and be rational, if you're depressed that can seem like another twist of the knife and another thing to worry about.

When depression sets in it's not a case of just snapping out of it or thinking of orange Allegros.

My mrs is watching Big Brother. They are entering ex-housemates. Have you ever seen such a group of annoying fucktards. Shows like this remind us that our once great nation is full of embarassing under-educated, ignorant thick bastards, and for some reason the public love them....

Gas the house

My mrs is watching Big Brother. They are entering ex-housemates. Have you ever seen such a group of annoying fucktards. Shows like this remind us that our once great nation is full of embarassing under-educated, ignorant thick bastards, and for some reason the public love them....

Gas the house

+1

for some reason the public love them....

One of life's eternal mysteries, but one that at least explains the existence of OK magazine, and the continuing 'career' of Katie Price.

I have never watched an episode of Big Brother, and I'm strangely proud of it.

Gas the house

Famous, for being famous. I watched the first ten minutes of the first show of the first series, and decided I wanted nothing more to do with it. Utter tripe, and I remain bemused at it's popularity.

Just avoid Channel 4. I'm sometimes subjected to this when I'm at a mate's house. They have Big Brother on through the night, on TWO channels. They're asleep ffs.

I'd just like to say Channel 4 is totally shit. Shit American imports, pop music, fashion and the occasional documentary about useless shit. ITV is pretty shit as well, for opting to have teleshopping and bingo on at night.

Give me back 4 channels!

Just avoid Channel 4. I'm sometimes subjected to this when I'm at a mate's house. They have Big Brother on through the night, on TWO channels. They're asleep ffs.

I'd just like to say Channel 4 is totally shit. Shit American imports, pop music, fashion and the occasional documentary about useless shit. ITV is pretty shit as well, for opting to have teleshopping and bingo on at night.

Give me back 4 channels!

Channel 4 used to be good.

No, Channel 4 used to be great.

Trouble is WVM that if you get depressed it's actually extremely difficult to see that and not that easy to simplify.

If you're having an off day it's easy to snap out of it and be rational, if you're depressed that can seem like another twist of the knife and another thing to worry about.

When depression sets in it's not a case of just snapping out of it or thinking of orange Allegros.

Very true. Much common sense here.

About the only TV show I ever seem to watch now is that thing on Channel 5 where a fat American man moves large buildings in a really hamfisted way. I find it oddly compelling, reminds me of when thick blokes have to move things around a warehouse but don't really think things through to their conclusion, so a pallet full of fragile boxes lurches over and sways around whilst they shout and swear, etc.

Also, I sometimes watch the late night play-at-home roulette because sometimes there'll be an attractive female croupier and a male presenter and underneath the hollow flirting you can sense the most unbelievably chilly/tense/awkward atmosphere, bit like my life. Bet she hides in the toilet on her break just to avoid him. Must be running out of excuses for why she can't go out for a quick drink after work by now.

I had a bit of a breakdown 2 years ago. Walked out of work in tears. Thought I was being stupid but my Dr was tops. Talked me through it all, said that it is actually a chemical imbalance and isnt just a case of pull yourself together.

Was put on pills but struggled with them because they make you feel ok but a zombie. even made me feel suicidal something I thought I would never feel. Changed them and they worked better. Took them for 3 months then stopped because I couldnt work.

Biggest help for me was two things

1) counselling - thought that it would be all bolloxs but really helped. Got to the root of the issues which wasnt the trigger. only had 7 sessions and can quite honestly say it was one of the best things I have ever done.

2) Excercise - getting out and doing something really helps. I went and had golf lessons. Really worked.

I ended up changing careers and have never been happier. It was really good dealing with the problems.

Thing is to get on and deal with it. It wont go away and it isnt something you can just sort yourself.

Realising that you could be suffering from depression and making the decision to do something about it is a really good first step. Doing something positive towards counteracting the effects, whatever it is you do, will help (helps with me anyway). I've suffered with it for years and have good and bad spells, I've tried the tablets several times, and they do help. They won't make you 'happy', but they will allow you to put the crap to one side and actually function for a while. Like SirTainlyBarkin says finding the cause of the depression can be key to keeping it at bay.

Totally agree with the Moog about exercise, I go to the gym, a lot, and it really helps.

AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

scimitars :evil:

after a couple of weeks of not running right (now on my 3rd carb in this car) my se5 lurched out of a supermarket carpark late last night with no oil pressure. i stopped let it cool down for half a hour. turned the engine over, and still no movement on the gauge. this morning i changed the oil drive shaft, which looked worn, and still no oil pressure, When removed from the block, the pipe (to the gauge) doesnt even drip when engine turned over, so the engine has to come out :cry:

this was the scene at 6:30 tonight, and an hour or so later (and with scarys help, and violin accompaniment) the anchor was removed.

Posted Image

dont know whats going in yet, i may just be lazy and plonk the Zephyr engine in - i know its a good engine, and its handy.

I think a simple thing my mum said had some effect on me in that she didn't have time to be depressed. I was diagnosed in my teens with some bullshit prognosis that is meant to classify thousands of people, but since just got a grip and no longer get 'depressed'. I've met people who have been diagnosed and it's totally ruined their lives now that they have this tag, they take it as gospel as if this is now how they should lead their lives.

I get sad, but that's just a symptom of being a human being. If I feel some kind of bad day coming on I remind myself of how pathetic an emotion it is and practically thank some God I woke up in perfect health this morning. I may moan on here but I'm fairly positive.

I hear single mum's with too much time on their hands talking about 'being depressed', and it worries me how this is now so pandemic.

The best advice is give it time and treat every single morning as another day towards total recovery, it's really in your head and you can make a choice to wake up happy or not. It's easy for me to say, and I know this is a serious thing in some people (chemical imbalances as said above). The best thing is to just get outside and do 'stuff'. It gets easier to ignore the bad thoughts and they just disappear completely. :)

Stattion, no he hasn't. It's sump off/engine out anyway to check, so it's on my garage floor (sulking)

I have recommended a different engine (based on the stripped oil pump drive, zero oil pressure and the fact that it ran like a tractor before it blew up ;) I've had the recovery on standby for it all week!

Sorry to wander off the car theme but personally I'm slowly realising more and more every day that I may be suffering from depression :(

Firstly you don't have anything to apologise for.

Secondly, talking to the doctor is a very good idea. They are trained in dealing with this. They may wish you to go down the drugs route but be very aware of the side effects. They may suggest you receive counselling.

Thirdly, talk to other people. By the sounds of things you have a family that care for you and most likely some friends as well. You're not alone, no matter how much you think you are.

Fourthly, as others have suggest do stuff. Go out with friends, take up some new hobbies but involve other people. Its very easy to not do something on your own, you can sit and fret an end up doing nothing but other people can stop that fretting and help you get on with your life.

Fifthly, enjoy this forum. There's a lot of genuinely funny things written on here and a lot of genuinely caring people. Witness the offers of recovery, storage, mechanical help and general sympathy. You've had responses to your situation and when I posted a grump about not being physically well I received a get well pm from someone on here whom I'd had no direct contact with (for which I don't think I thanked the person at the time, sorry).

Compressed air (for the spiders) I use the garage air line to evict them.

Station, you will feel loads better when the ebay invoice for this month arrives and your "profit" vanishes again.

Funk! I forgot about charges! So they're taking 10% of my pound? :(

and don't forget about your time spent packing the stuff and time/fuel to get to the post office/stand in a queue.

Sorry Dave......

Cav I do understand trust me....As I say my Daughters suffering and has got much worse thanks to drugs, as have quite a few other people I know who have it, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is neigh on impossible...but with drugs it IS impossible from my bitter experience, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed a few years ago but I refused to take there damn drugs, or accept that I was ( typical bloke) I found my way out was inside me.

Depression really is an evil thing but very hard to understand or to get across. Everyone has days when they feel like shit but clinical depression is something else. Problem is it's so easy to fake and miss-diagnose that a lot of people don't take it seriously with doctors just tending to prescribe various pills that may flatten things out but don't address the root causes. Speaking to a counsellor can help but there will be a very long waiting list. Yes, I know more about this than I wish I did.

Still trying to find a job over here, as the agency I was with sent the usual "thanks we've added your resume to or database if a job comes up blah blah blah". In the meantime I'm stuck in the van watching the money ebb away. Can't do anything that involves spending money as i don't want to waste a single cent so it's pretty much sitting around playing Starcraft or watching films. Plus since my travel partner has left I'm now on my own. If I don't find anything within the next 10 days or so I'm going to be in trouble but nothing is coming up. I could head up north but if I can't find anything there I will have wasted valuable petrol money. Did try speaking to my parents about this but just got the usual "you should of thought of that before you left the country". I'm 28 in less than a month and this really isn't the situation I wanted to be in at this age