The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Are the backups actually encrypted, or are they just stored in a Linux filesystem that Windows isn't seeing?

PM me if you want to stop clagging up the thread, I'll see what I can do - or post in Geeks Corner in the open forum and you'll have the combined knowledge of, ooooh, some of us.

At least it won't get stuck in a small metal cage when they try to post it through your door. I tried one a few years ago to stop my terrier killing the post, I found that as well as being a good paper shredder he was also quite good at metalwork, within a week he worked out how to dismantle it and fold it into a small metal sculpture as a present for me.

I want one because my German Shepherd thinks jiffy bags and large letters are for her possibly containing treats and she decides to open them, I wouldn't be too fussed if she was neat when she did it and it didn't damage the contents

It is Windows 7. Rubbish.

Your challenge is to get Windows 8 instead and then say 7 is rubbish. I shall not hold my breath.

Get an SSD drive Dolly.  :mrgreen:

I have Windows 8 here, not installed... I don't have tablet so all that swishy swiping rubbish is pointless fluff to try and copy Apple.

A day of missing.

Went train spotting. Triple header mainline steam doesn't happen that often. Except got delayed by work and saw it in a shit there it goes sort of way. No photos :(

Man at line side tells me never mind, if you're into planes vulcan xh558 will be landing shortly, if you scoot round there quick you can catch it. To the airport! Too slow, missed it.

Took my disco to my man who can for servicing & mot. Came home to him phoning up to tell me the clutch pedal appears to be missing all function. Odd as it was working when I dumped it outside his gaff.

I seem to be getting somewhere. I've now got Windows and Linux installed on the laptop, and my back up files are restoring nicely. Well, the ones from 7th May are - the 31st May back up isn't doing so well. Which is annoying, as that one has all the Shitefest pics on it. I shall try again later. What a bloody faff this has been!

Had to put my beloved cat down yesterday after it had been run over on the Saturday by a wanker who didn't even stop to see if he was okay. He had broken his back legs and there was nothing the vet could do, so we buried him with his favourite toy in the back garden with a cross to mark where he sleeps.

On top of that, I also found out about an hour later that my oldest friend and neighbour who I've known for 26 years died from a massive stroke a couple of weeks ago. He was a brilliant engineer and worked as such for the RAF for many years - then opened up the village garage where he fixed hundreds of cars until he retired in 1999. I only saw him last month and he seemed to be in good health and not in a bad way at all. He was like a grandad to me and I am utterly utterly devastated at his passing. I don't think I will ever get over either of them not being around any more. R.I.P Oskar and Dennis.

Had to put my beloved cat down yesterday after it had been run over on the Saturday by a wanker who didn't even stop to see if he was okay. He had broken his back legs and there was nothing the vet could do, so we buried him with his favourite toy in the back garden with a cross to mark where he sleeps.

On top of that, I also found out about an hour later that my oldest friend and neighbour who I've known for 26 years died from a massive stroke a couple of weeks ago. He was a brilliant engineer and worked as such for the RAF for many years - then opened up the village garage where he fixed hundreds of cars until he retired in 1999. I only saw him last month and he seemed to be in good health and not in a bad way at all. He was like a grandad to me and I am utterly utterly devastated at his passing. I don't think I will ever get over either of them not being around any more. R.I.P Oskar and Dennis.

Very sorry for your loss.

Especially painful when you lose a pet. I buried my king charles with his favourite toy, and wrapped him up in his blanket.

There is'nt a day goes by when I don't think of him.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that GGS. When our Tiggy died about 12 years ago, I planted a little Silver Birch sapling where I buried him. Here it is today on the left of the pic. It's a nice way to remember him.

Picture765.jpg

• Like 1

Logged on to computer this morning to be faced with some 'sponsored advertising' emails from Yahoo. It's actually all the sort of fucking shit the spam filter is supposed to stop, and reading up on the web some people are saying the only way to stop it is to pay Yahoo £31.99!

What a crock of old bollocks, the bastards shouldn't be sending it in the first place, does anyone know a (free) way I can get rid of it? If it's impossible to sack them off without paying I'll just switch to a different email 'supplier' instead.

No one local sells the cages that go behind your letterbox to catch your post what an utter pee take, now I have to order one online and wait

Bet that makes a right clang when it falls through the letterbox.

Oh the ironing.

• Like 2

Logged on to computer this morning to be faced with some 'sponsored advertising' emails from Yahoo. It's actually all the sort of fucking shit the spam filter is supposed to stop, and reading up on the web some people are saying the only way to stop it is to pay Yahoo £31.99!

What a crock of old bollocks, the bastards shouldn't be sending it in the first place, does anyone know a (free) way I can get rid of it? If it's impossible to sack them off without paying I'll just switch to a different email 'supplier' instead.

You stop it by Gmail.com

I've also explored the Gmail solution. Yahoo was frequently just not working at all since they adopted the Gmail rip-off look. Not entirely happy with Gmail either, but I do prefer it.

mmmm, I remember trying to sign up to something that required a gmail account, so I registered one just for this and I wasnt that impressed.

Im still rocking a hotmail account that I have had for decades and find it to be great - maybe just because I am used to it? I signed up a second hotmail account ages ago too, purely to deal with sign-ups and stuff likely to attract spam, but even that hardly receives anything. I dont fuck about with msn messenger or any of that pish, just the basic email account. My new laptop rolls windows 8 and the email app works fine too.

So far, while stripping down the hub assembly on the Master Of Doom, I've had to make 6 seperate trips to the local tool emporium, and I'll be off again in a minute. Admittedly, 2 of those occasions were for tools that I'd stupidly lost, but the others were for tools I shouldn't even fecking need. Who the hell uses 18mm and 21mm nuts to hold pieces of car together?!! And which genius came up with the idea of making the hub and brake disc all one unit, so you can't just buy a used hub & driveshaft from a breakers, oh no, you have to pull the entire suspension apart then lug the steering knuckle down to a garage and ask nicely to borrow their press, before attempting to fit everything back together again. And don't even get me started on inboard coil springs..........

Tame garage man gives me the 'good news' that clutch master cylinder isn't shagged on my disco, it's a pinhole in the pipe.

Master cylinder = £60

pipe = £120

Arse!

Quality* used pipe off ebay for £20 it is then.

Went to fill up on my overdraft tank and forgot to check my account before I left. 30 miles from home it transpires I only left 22p not £1.22 in my account so the pre pay wont authorise.

FFS, got to go back at 4pm when it wont be as quiet after SWMBO transfers me a quid and try again. Was lovely and empty this morning too :(

When did Shitroen 2 CV's suddenly skyrocket in price?  Did I have a nap and miss it?

Been looking on flea bay for one for my daughter as she loved the one I had years ago and thought about getting one to do up.The prices are mental. I've still got a garage full of spare bits and I thought a gentle doer upper would be ideal (she's only 15 so a couple of years in the man garage with beers etc to do it would be fantastic!). I've spent less on my daily driver than the cost of a total wreck of one of the fine pieces of french shizzle!

Ho hum rant over and back to the drawing board!

They are getting a bit daft. They are changing hands for a bit less away from Ebay though. Tat seems to sell for stupid money on the Bay. You don't see very many for less than a grand anywhere though. I couldn't afford to buy one these days.

Probably add it alongside the Mini and Capri on the "stuff I should have bought 10 years ago" list