Rover 800 Group save

Eyersey1234

I think theres some people on here who are getting needlessly upset about this, if anyone wants to throw their money at it then let them get on with it, they know what they are getting themselves in for, and it's not like there hasn't been group saves on here before. 

Personally though I won't be investing but wish you the very best in your future . 

p07jldt6.jpg.467617419fb70515ce38a2e234ea1d0a.jpg

6 minutes ago, trigger said:

I think theres some people on here who are getting needlessly upset about this, if anyone wants to throw their money at it then let them get on with it,

I'm not upset I just canny be bothered with that sierras constant scrap it comments, hes like a piston heads reject, 

I think to move on a go forwards the following posts should only answer these questions. 

Who has storage? And where?

Who's has parts or knows of a rusty donor?  Looking at you @Lord Sterling!

Id love to see this saved, love a car with a story behind it. I'm not in the position to take it on but would be up for offering some tinkering time and help where I can. 

As I found out when I saved* the free* 820 si, one of the challenges was M series engine parts as even Rimmer Bros didnt stock them.  If engine is hunky dory then that is a win, although I guess it will need cambelt etc and that was the stuff that I couldnt find. A lot was listed for M series engine but reality was T Series which involved many swears. 

When I had my fit of selling it I stuck it up on Rover 800 forum and they just wanted it for the body panels, as everyone is after rot free examples for the 827s. 

I have had my fill of the big green bastards, so good luck to whoever takes it on. 

* I use this term loosely

* Again this is a loose term

I thought the general ethos of this entire site was that the insanity and economic unviability of any proposed enterprise was directly proportional to the level of peer pressure applied by other commentators?

Isn't that why people have entered roffles for cars that are both fucked and on the opposite side of the country?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, rantingYoof said:

I thought the general ethos of this entire site was that the insanity and economic unviability of any proposed enterprise was directly proportional to the level of peer pressure applied by other commentators?

Isn't that why people have entered roffles for cars that are both fucked and on the opposite side of the country?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Indeed, let them carry on, why are people trying to spoil their fun just because it doesn't tie up with their own ideas?  

To quote our great leader: " I think they should all have a word with themselves"

This has the makings of a great thread.

Or just save it cos if we don't, who will?

Logic shouldn't come into it when we're just doing it for a bit of fun, and the sake of saving it.

I've got a brown and beige VW T3 in my workshop, and a 1972 1200 beetle that's getting a full body off restoration.

Neither are really worth the effort, I'd be able to give the lot up, sell my tools, and buy good ones to do what I'm doing for less.  But where's the fun in that?

32 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Save everything. You don’t seem as quick to jump on when any of the other posters said frag it. 

I am not thick and have had well over 200 motors and I of all people know you can't save everything that's just stupid, but when people are trying to save a car then comments like yours are so helpful arnt they.

I'm not quick to jump on anyone as you say but I've read many a time from you about scraping things because cost which kind of misses the whole point of this forum don't you think,  this van I have is already worth less than it stands me at so by your logic I should scrap it because  it requires more than that again spending on it.

Like I said I’ve actually seen the thing in the flesh, if you had you’d be able to see how much it actually wants doing to it. All I’ve said like others have pointed out is it’s a mammoth undertaking to get it back on the road, a big commitment financially which despite what you say does come into it. When you bear in mind the struggle there was recently on here to sell a very tidy original one for a few hundred quid you’ve surely got to factor that in to the equation that putting the money and time into one that’s a going concern makes more sense. At the end of the day it’s whoevers choice what they do. 

In terms of the cars I run, as I’ve explained time and time again I frag then when they are at the end of their useful life. A time expired Mk2/3 Mondeo with a dead clutch or a shagged engine getting broken up for spares isn’t like building a Barrett Estate over the Acropolis. What a lot of people fail to understand is when I break them I’m also keeping the better ones going, it’s not a case of me laughing gleefully as it gets dropped in the crusher, they’re pretty well stripped when they get there, the saloon I broke last year donated its doors to a chap restoring one. I’ve also not got the time for selling £300 cars and the agg that comes with it, I’ve not got the patience for the characters you get coming round. Hope that clears that up. 

I think this is a good time to reitterate this:

On 4/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, HillmanImp said:

I'm having a really bad day so I'd happily donate a tenner for some poor soul to take this and then spend the next 2 years getting depressed every time they look out of their window at this hopeless wreck cluttering up their drive.

No matter how bad things got for me, at least I could console myself that someone else is having a worse time by simply being the custodian of the worlds most fucked Rover.

However, it has to be said now it's been cleaned it's a lot less fucked looking than I expected. I reckon it's worth a punt really. 

I think part of the problem with this is that it's not actually that rare yet.  Rover 800s do come up for sale every now and then and if you wanted one, you could probably just go and buy one.

In another decade, this would be an interesting save to more people.

I think I need some way of earning money but not working in an office any more.  How could I make a living out of restoring hopless-case old heaps like this?  YouTube ad revenue is unlikely to cover it I think.  Which is a shame, as it would be an excellent business model:  Buy hopeless old chod.  Record yourself restoring it, make enough money to live, sell on old chod for a modest amount, but not actually need to make profit.

Never going to happen is it?

40 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I think part of the problem with this is that it's not actually that rare yet.  Rover 800s do come up for sale every now and then and if you wanted one, you could probably just go and buy one.

In another decade, this would be an interesting save to more people.

I think I need some way of earning money but not working in an office any more.  How could I make a living out of restoring hopless-case old heaps like this?  YouTube ad revenue is unlikely to cover it I think.  Which is a shame, as it would be an excellent business model:  Buy hopeless old chod.  Record yourself restoring it, make enough money to live, sell on old chod for a modest amount, but not actually need to make profit.

Never going to happen is it?

I don’t know, I watch this guy on YouTube ‘RagnBone Brown’ I think he’s called, he’s got a channel about using reclaimed timber and making stuff. Really interesting. Anyway by looks of it he does alright out of it he’s sells all the branded tackle and has a load of followers. Bit of a wider potential audience maybe though. 

11 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

You lot have lost your fucking minds.

What happened to that beige Citroen BX that everyone got a stiffy for a few years ago? As far as I know everyone lost interest after a couple of weeks and it sat for months, before being "resurrected" for a weekend then going to sit back in a garage again. The Sierra that @BorniteIdentity has/had only got rescued because he took it on as a mostly personal project and pumped a load of money into it (and @Cheggers helped out with the purchase fee as I recall) and made it a labour of love.

That rover is a fucking shed and wants scrapping. Which is what will happen anyway after everyone has "chipped in their tenner" and sat on their hands for 6 months.

The Sierra has been a labour of love, and a lot of money. I’m still massively massively in negative equity territory, but I was confident it was the only UK example left. I’m even more confident of that fact now. It had to be saved, and I still feel that way about it now. I reckon it owes me alone £2,000. Probably more. Total outlay would be hovering around £3k now. 

I’m not saying any of this to dissuade anyone. But go into it eyes wide open. Old cars have an insatiable appetite for money, and you just have to shrug your shoulders and spend it. 

9 hours ago, Nyphur said:

You lot have lost your fucking minds.

What happened to that beige Citroen BX that everyone got a stiffy for a few years ago? As far as I know everyone lost interest after a couple of weeks and it sat for months, before being "resurrected" for a weekend then going to sit back in a garage again. The Sierra that @BorniteIdentity has/had only got rescued because he took it on as a mostly personal project and pumped a load of money into it (and @Cheggers helped out with the purchase fee as I recall) and made it a labour of love.

That rover is a fucking shed and wants scrapping. Which is what will happen anyway after everyone has "chipped in their tenner" and sat on their hands for 6 months.

That’s not the spirit! ?