BFG resistance is futile - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

17 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I'm very tempted by this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202262987790?atmobcid=soc3

861004925_Screenshot_20220228-220908_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.80449e19bca075e9f1cfc51c8ac61b4d.jpg

Yes I know all Vauxhalls are shit, but I liked my 1.8 vvt sri, I had before.

From a AS perspective, I think they are pretty good.

Old style clutch, so no dmf to worry about, therefore cheaper clutch change if needed.

Waterpump driven from aux belt, so cambelt changes are cheaper.

VX parts are plentiful

The asking price is somewhat lower than any other dealer. Bristol ulez compliant, 1300 in current market for a ticketed, 95k on clock car, is pretty good.

Allows me to put the mondy and CRV up for sale.

I'm phoning the dealer in the morning.

Well?.....….....

So the Vectra sold the day it was advertised. Not a surprise.

Today I have just paid a total stranger 200 deposit for a car I've not driven or seen in person, based on a FB marketplace description.

What could possibly go wrong lol

Collection mission this weekend.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Blind buying. As recommended by all professionals - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
16 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Fcuk fcukity fcuk

Got an insurance quote.

Turns out I've bought a car with the unreliable engine and not the bullet proof engine I thought it was :(

What could go wrong? Already have the answer. I am a fcukwit.

Unreliable engine in this one, unreliable gearbox in the mundaino, you don't half pick them mate 🤯

Seller contacted me. The car failed its mot

What the car, you said would definitely pass?

Yes and I can't get it fixed by weekend, as I'm going away. Do you want your deposit back?

Yes please.

At least the seller was honest and refund has been received.

Just have to remember to cancel the new insurance policy.

The search continues.

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Seller contacted me. The car failed its mot

What the car, you said would definitely pass?

Yes and I can't get it fixed by weekend, as I'm going away. Do you want your deposit back?

Yes please.

At least the seller was honest and refund has been received.

The search continues.

Free get out of jail card 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Update - There is no update.

The problem with having two Honda's on fleet, is nothing happens. They keep hondering along. They both had oil service last week. Nothing else to report.

The Mondeo still has an occasional annoying squeal from the rear. Think a caliper gets stuck for a few seconds, every now and then. 

Upgrading the fleet - Missed out on a couple of V70's and a Transit. They were less than they should have been and I wasn't quick enough off the mark. 

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to A non update. Its Honda's fault - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
56 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Mk2 2006 1.6 TI-VCT.

When I put a deposit down, I thought it was the bog standard 1.6

Hmm, interesting you say that!

I own both, and have to say the Ti-VCT is the one to have. More powerful and economical than the 99bhp version. 

The standard one is dire up hill, it is a 1.6 tonne car after all, 100hp isn't a lot. That extra bit of kick out of the Ti-VCT does help in my opinion

Mine is also a 2006, I've had it 2.5 years, though it's spent about a year of that unused, and never had any trouble out of the engine, nor have the previous owners based on its very comprehensive service & maintenance history that came with it.

I think if it's always been serviced on time you'll be fine with that engine. The dephasers (or whatever Ford wish to call them) do rattle on startup for a couple of seconds on mine intermittently but it's never got worse or been an issue. They are the only real worry with them off the top of my head. 

The thermostat housing is a pain on them, but it's a fairly modern car so to be expected really!

However having said all of that I think the 2.0 petrol is the sweet spot to be honest, surprisingly economical for a 2.0 petrol and puts out a nice bit of power 

• 3 weeks later...

Chod ban has been lifted :)

After forgetting our first date anniversary (no, I didn't know that was a thing either), domestic management introduced a chod ban.

On Tuesday, domestic management forgot our 3 yr wedding anniversary (which is a thing). TBF she has been quite ill but rules is rules, so she has agreed to lift the chod ban.

Plus she reckons I've spent more money on bus models, than I usually spend on chod, so it was a bit pointless anyway :)

2 targets already picked for this weekend :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Freedom. Chod ban lifted - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
47 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Chod ban has been lifted :)

After forgetting our first date anniversary (no, I didn't know that was a thing either), domestic management introduced a chod ban.

On Tuesday, domestic management forgot our 3 yr wedding anniversary (which is a thing). TBF she has been quite ill but rules is rules, so she has agreed to lift the chod ban.

Plus she reckons I've spent more money on bus models, than I usually spend on chod, so it was a bit pointless anyway :)

2 targets already picked for this weekend :)

Did the black magic help. 😉

• 1 month later...

Arrived in Hexham today for a weekend, to attend a family wedding and pick up the 5 series that MIL had promised me, following her decision to hang up her keys.

Well she forgot it was promised to me and gave it to her granddaughters BF.

I'm not actually disappointed, as I really want a Rover R8.

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Somebody hasn't been looking in the for sale section it seems :)

(Assuming a scruffy N/A diesel isn't an issue!)

I have and its local. But 1) Don't really want a diesel 2) Very good condition 416 sli auto on the south coast for 650.

If it were not for the trip up north and thinking I was getting a knackered old 5 series, the 416 would already be in my possession.

Chod ban lifted 6 weeks ago and still no chod outside the house ! Missed a few.

I kinda have dibs on an R8 on the south coast. May pursue that next weekend, been too busy this weekend.

N reg cav has just popped up local. Sub a grand with new ticket. Tempted.

For now I'm concentrating on the non chod.

Mondy and CRV are going to go, so looking to find a car that can replace both. I.e. can reasonably perform the duties that each carry out for me.

Well I've just looked at its mot history. Which I should have done before getting mildly excited.

These are the advisories.

Screenshot_20220605-102634_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff3c5e13568174e702f545fde5e281a9.jpg

Its being sold by a scrappie (if his other ads are anything to go by).

Needs a bit of sparkly stick, brake pipes, two tyres, fuel pipes, two springs and oil leak and eml investigated.

Plus I'm wary of scrappies selling cars. Mrs CSW old CRV failed its mot due to the fact that floor pan was so rusty, the rest of the body was not really attached.

Scrapped. Re-appeared on FB with an advisory for underfloor corrosion. Of course he might have done a marathon welding session and sorted it. Or his mate did the mot.

Previous MOTs for last 3 years show similar evidence of not being cared for.

Don't want a money pit motor, even at 950. Gonna pass and pursue the R8, if they still have it.