What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Claimed the card type didn't match the number.  Will try again later.  Much later.

Daughter had similar problems with the C3 I bought her last month.  Had to go into a post office.  Done in a trice and the best part was the tax is £0.

4 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Claimed the card type didn't match the number.

From my experience of taking card payments by phone and making them online, that is likely to be an input error - probably something as simple as clicking VISA instead of VISA DEBIT, or in the 16 digit number.

19 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

From my experience of taking card payments by phone and making them online, that is likely to be an input error - probably something as simple as clicking VISA instead of VISA DEBIT, or in the 16 digit number.

You don't need card details on a £0 payment ?

Idly scouting Streetview in/around the place we're going to in France this year, this was just down the road in late 2021:

image.thumb.png.2c30326ca3c89ecca16a4c8d0173bdd3.png

Solara!?!?!?! OK, chances of me seeing it or even the Nissan D21 are slim, but there's hope. Looks to be two, possibly three, garages in the village so there should be some interesting stuff to watch out for.

Also, Mrs SL was hunting for boot sales and markets and made the mistake (to her at least) of finding that an autojumble/show is on this weekend in Uzerche, when we get to our place less than 30mins up the road.

Miss SL and BF are now somewhere between the Ardeche and Tarn in his LS400, haven't heard of any issues with it and they've been enjoying the non-autoroute drives.

Just been online to tax my car. £240 for 12 months, that's fine.

Thought I'd check out the direct debit. Works out at £252 every 12 months.

12 is the difference, which is 5% of 240

We aren't far from the point that you'd be better off paying direct debit and leaving the full amount gaining interest in an instant access bank account. That said, there are variables to that as the amount diminishes over the 12 months, the interest may be variable and subject to tax and you could probably have it on the interest free period of a credit card for a month or two. Then there's the fact that the credit card may have cashback deals etc.

But it's not far off

Not particularly a grin post, this just seemed like a place to put my thoughts on it

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

Claimed the card type didn't match the number.  Will try again later.  Much later.

Daughter had similar problems with the C3 I bought her last month.  Had to go into a post office.  Done in a trice and the best part was the tax is £0.

I only mentioned no card details for £0 payment because @myglarenstated daughter had similar problems and her would of been £0 payment

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Quite probable but despite attempts to rectify it just kept insisting the card was incorrect.  Nowhere else has a problem with it.

Am Ex? Whooo - suits you, sir! :-)
(or was it Pamela Stephenson  on Not the Nine o' Clock News saying something like ' that'll do nicely and you can feel my tits as well')? Maybe that was Diners?

Anyways. At the risk of being boring (I've been programming online card payment integrations for 27 years now (fuck me!) so, yes, I am a boring fart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_card_number 
The first 6 or so numbers on the card identify the issuer and type - so any payment system that asks you to declare the card type then compares that to the number you have given will will foul of an unintentional error if you have a slightly unusual bank/card setup such as a 'skinned' or 'masked' card or third party processing.
Maestro cards (remember those) used to be a right PITA until we figured out how to workaround their numbering. Revolut pre-paid cards more recently - big list.
Similarly you can have a three or four (Amex usually) CVV number on the card - a lot of online stores used to bork on the fourth digit so you couldn't pay on AmEx.  That's kind of a legacy thing these days now but may still trip up on some sites.
It may be that the Gov are still using something legacy/old like WorldPay (RBS - Streamline - clunky but works; SagePay - now Opayo - ditto) that still runs a comparison on your ticked card type and the input number. It used to be a (very basic) security check but I'm guessing the DVLA are into old school, belt and braces stuff.

The usual workaround was to link the non-acceptable card to a PayPal account but I have a feeling that HMG maybe does not take PayPal either?

18 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Just been online to tax my car. £240 for 12 months, that's fine.

Thought I'd check out the direct debit. Works out at £252 every 12 months.

12 is the difference, which is 5% of 240

We aren't far from the point that you'd be better off paying direct debit and leaving the full amount gaining interest in an instant access bank account. That said, there are variables to that as the amount diminishes over the 12 months, the interest may be variable and subject to tax and you could probably have it on the interest free period of a credit card for a month or two. Then there's the fact that the credit card may have cashback deals etc.

But it's not far off

Not particularly a grin post, this just seemed like a place to put my thoughts on it

They will put the charge for credit up soon though.

It's my birthday today. I'm 36. Took the day off work and spent it with the family. Went out for a nice breakfast, then went to have a mooch around Faversham, then over to Whitstable for lunch (there's a decent burger place there called Please, Sir - I recommend it). After that we went and picked up stones off the beach for my son. I'm still not sure why, but we did. Stopped for an ice cream at a place that makes it in house (The Gelateria) then headed home to find a letter from HMRC.

With a tax rebate of just over £600! Fuck yeah!

Got a hot date tomorrow so I asked my neighbour for a car for the day. I picked the evo 10 fq 360 again. It's now had a few subtle mods and is over 420bhp now. It was the fastest thing I've ever drove standard never mind modded. 

It should impress/terrify her in equal measure.

Screenshot_20230721_144338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230720_191005_Facebook.jpg

32 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I've also been surprised how many people think a fl. oz is a unit of mass or weight.

I can't recall having ever used it though, so it does seem to be obsolete and therefore doesn't matter

I vaguely remember bottles labelled with fl oz when I was a kid (70s).

To confuse things more, US have 16 fl oz to a pint , consistent with 16 oz in a lb, but we have 20 , sort of semi decimal. This results in a US gallon being smaller than an Imperial one, both 8 pints .

21 hours ago, Merryck said:

It's my birthday today. I'm 36. Took the day off work and spent it with the family. Went out for a nice breakfast, then went to have a mooch around Faversham, then over to Whitstable for lunch (there's a decent burger place there called Please, Sir - I recommend it). After that we went and picked up stones off the beach for my son. I'm still not sure why, but we did. Stopped for an ice cream at a place that makes it in house (The Gelateria) then headed home to find a letter from HMRC.

With a tax rebate of just over £600! Fuck yeah!

Going to Whitstable for a burger - no wonder the fishing industry is going down the pan.

10 minutes ago, Merryck said:

Yeah sorry about that!

I was trying to think of something witty like "Going to Whitstable for a burger is like going to France for a pizza" but a tray of food was placed  in front of me. So I have reset the equilibrium because it was a huge salmon steak, and I do realise that when taking kids out you have to make them happy.