What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sorry to intrude long time lurker here .......I will introduce myself properly out of politeness soon but brought out of lurking cos you have posted a picture of my old fox camper van! so that's where it is now! I am sure I have a few pictures of it ........I sold it and bought a rickman rancher I don't know which had the most autoshite points.........

That fox camper is legitimately one of the best things I've seen for ages, I wonder what it's like inside?

Compact. Very compact.

Annoyingly, about 40 minutes later just going back to the car having been in town to post something, a French-registered Pug 106 drove past, and I thought, "Bugger, I didn't have my camera ready." I didn't bother to get it out. About a dozen cars later, the Fox camper drove past, complete with male and female occupants of "a certain age"...bugger! This time I did get my phone out, it's the speck in the distance under the mini-roundabout sign.

post-3066-0-15048800-1521151356_thumb.jpg

Sorry to intrude long time lurker here .......I will introduce myself properly out of politeness soon but brought out of lurking cos you have posted a picture of my old fox camper van! so that's where it is now! I am sure I have a few pictures of it ........I sold it and bought a rickman rancher I don't know which had the most autoshite points.........

Welcome along Axplug - you must have sold it a few years ago, as it's not the first time I've seen it in that street.

EDIT:  I is wrong!  Someone in that street has a visitor with a serious Fox habit - this was taken in 2010 - Fox pick-up!

5614733004_02e7617a79.jpg

I was flicking through the channels a few weeks ago and caught a prog on the M1?A1? And somewhere on there they have a Womble type guy on a motor bike. He whizzes between the queues to a breakdown and...

...folds out from the back of the bike a kind of A-frame towing dolly thing and drags the car off the nearest slip road. Never seen owt like it before, looks mega handy!

I watched another episode of that program, it was about the A1. The busiest/longest road in Britain they said in the trailer and preamble.

I'm not just replying to Louise, this is actually a grin. The episode I saw, (about the busiest road in the country), opened with a police pursuit on a road parallel to the A1. So it's the busiest road in the country, but doesn't provide enough exciting footage to fill half an hour* of contemporary television.

* ie. 10 minutes of content, less adverts and recapping.

In the road where I used to rent a garage there was a chap with no fewer than three Reliant Foxes, including a coachbuilt camper like that one.  I'd seen him about a few times, and eventually met him when my Scimitar boiled up more or less outside his house and he came out to help.  Very nice chap, if a tad eccentric - [stereo]typical Reliant owner really.

• Like 3

There's an old house opposite my local train station:

26589778218_3c6aa9022d_c.jpg

Front garden has a Regal in Invacar blue, a Robin, a P4, and a boat in it. They never move, there used to what appeared to be a Fiat Campagnola (!!!) but I'm not sure if it's still there.

The guy has at least one Fox if not two (a cream one and a blue one with a private plate) that are on daily duties.

In the road where I used to rent a garage there was a chap with no fewer than three Reliant Foxes, including a coachbuilt camper like that one.  I'd seen him about a few times, and eventually met him when my Scimitar boiled up more or less outside his house and he came out to help.  Very nice chap, if a tad eccentric - [stereo]typical Reliant owner really.

This was one of his I imagine?

4048582065_8d472db2e7_o.jpg

1984 Reliant Fox - Westlegate, Norwich by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Has probably been discussed on here previously, but as this photo is from 11+ years ago I can't 100% remember.

• Like 12

That fox camper is legitimately one of the best things I've seen for ages, I wonder what it's like inside?

Its like a big version of those self cleaning toilets you get on the high street. Without the smell of piss.

• Like 2

While I was traveling Scotland, Bristol, Devon last year I could hear my vans gearbox start to complain, no big surprise, over 150K and engine rebuilt for more powerz a while ago is a sure recipe for failure. Stopped using it for anything but shortest of runs to keep the damage minimal, it's one of those gender indeterminate transaxle things so a bit of an arse to deal with, I had it in mind to check the wheel bearings carefully as they do like to impersonate a whinging gearbox but that's just wishful thinking isn't it? No, when I popped out this morning to play cat and mouse with the traffic warden I paused to jack the back up and jaggle the wheels, NSR clattering around like a dick in a shirtsleeve, big job is now a little job.

I actually own a nice example of toiletshite... a 1930s Armitage Ware Magnia, rescued from the servants' quarters of a Victorian mill owner's house before it was demolished to make way for a new housing estate.

It looks like this:

p1017490.jpg

• Like 4

Stolen from Reddit. Sounds like he would fit in well on here.

Thanks for that. I am now actually crying with laughter and my boss is giving me the evil-eye for clearly not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Funny because my Grandparents had a MK1 that was exaclty like the one described..

Modernz toilets are shit, the cisterns are filled with flimsy shit plastic contraptions with 'O' rings that fail and flood your house as the arrangements for overflow are invariably too small to accommodate the flow from even average water pressure. Don't even talk about toilet seats; I'm with Thomas Crapper on that subject, lavvy seats should be made of inch-thick wood that's firmly attached to the wall rather than loosely attached to the bowl via surplus fittings from that '80s boardgame favourite Mouse Trap. The only thing that should be loose when on the lav is my bowels.

Modernz toilets are shit, the cisterns are filled with flimsy shit plastic contraptions with 'O' rings that fail and flood your house as the arrangements for overflow are invariably too small to accommodate the flow from even average water pressure. .....

A lot of them are limited to 6 litres, which is not enough if you want to get that stuff away as hard and as fast as possible.

Had this amusing exchange this morning in the "focus mk1" thread...

They don't float particularly well.

Aye, but I'm sure they'd start with a bump start afterwards

and guess who rang at lunchtime!

Still owes me money, hasn't been in touch for almost two months now. She's bought a landrover freelander but the headgasket has gone and something is wrong with the gearbox. Is it ok to get it recovered to my yard?

Seeing as it was yet another mobile number and she didn't say who it was before launching into the help help woe is me speil I asked who was calling and when she confirmed that it was indeed my favourite* focus floater I laughed at her and hung up. There isn't enough money in the world for that one!

I don't want to look at another mk1 freelander ever anyway.

Noted. How lomg before pug 405 and 206 are added to the list?

Do people normally do a structural survey after the mortgage one?

There's a liability element involved in such survey choices. You might be paying for the lender's survey but it is only to tell the lender if the property is worth the risk to the lender. If you want to know what a professional thinks about the property, you have to buy your own survey.

My neighbour who's a ventriloquist is celebrating today, after his wife gave birth to a 9lb gouncing gagy goy.

I am full of cold and feel like crap but decided to clean the inside of the Corsa ive got, I did warm it up and have the heaters on full whack

Took the seats out to do it

It was a bit minging i found a half eaten sweet under the seat

post-4828-0-99853600-1521224220_thumb.jpg

A much nicer place afterwards

post-4828-0-90084800-1521224282_thumb.jpg

post-4828-0-45784200-1521224349_thumb.jpg

To give you an idea of dirt wise this is just from the mats, I didn't do the main carpet because I didn't want it staying damp

post-4828-0-56443700-1521224377_thumb.jpg

I know it's a cheaper car when I sell it and seems a lot of effort but I like things nice

• Like 2

I’m gonna keep this vague. I sold something on eBay, the guy drove hundreds of miles to collect.

I googled him (don’t judge me) and this guy works for a certain company.

If I’d have known he works for X I’d have never let him out of the house as I’d still be asking him questions.

I’m gonna keep this vague. I sold something on eBay, the guy drove hundreds of miles to collect.

If I’d have known he works for X I’d have never let him out of the house as I’d still be asking him questions.

You can't do that to us!!

I am full of cold and feel like crap but decided to clean the inside of the Corsa ive got, I did warm it up and have the heaters on full whack

Took the seats out to do it

It was a bit minging i found a half eaten sweet under the seat

20180316_151805.jpg

A much nicer place afterwards

20180316_161410.jpg

20180316_161322.jpg

To give you an idea of dirt wise this is just from the mats, I didn't do the main carpet because I didn't want it staying damp

20180316_172041.jpg

I know it's a cheaper car when I sell it and seems a lot of effort but I like things nice

Was the sweet good?
  • Like 1

I used to work with with a blonde sexbomb Swedish nurse, she was far less of a tease than you are