The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Some level of distribution for a funeral!  I was thinking more along the lines of "major gas leak in a heavily populated area" from the level of mayhem and sheer number of police in attendance.

I was trying to stay neutral, but it seems 400 people were trying to attend the funeral, at a time when 30 is the limit.

https://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/news/people/funeral-over-400-people-brings-dunstable-standstill-2991305

1 minute ago, egg said:

I was trying to stay neutral, but it seems 400 people were trying to attend the funeral, at a time when 30 is the limit.

https://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/news/people/funeral-over-400-people-brings-dunstable-standstill-2991305

11am?!?  It was nearly three in the afternoon when we were there and it was still utter carnage...and the closest we got was probably half a mile away...

55 minutes ago, egg said:

Traveller funeral. Fairly common occurance in this drab shithole town, the town gets blocked off and they force people to stop by driving vehicles down the wrong side of the road at them. 

Not much point in trying to prevent them. May aswell let them do what they want and go.  Takes less time / effort overall. 

Getting ready to finish the replacement of the kickdown cable on the 940 today, its a complete feff just to replace a cable.

The engine end is straight forward but the gearbox end requires the removal of the sump then some tricky procedure not unlike brain surgery to connect the cable. I managed to do this yesterday along with a new  gearbox filter and today I just need to get the snapped sump bolts out of the gearbox so I can refit the sump.

I cant believe that 2 bolts sheared as the rest were not very tight as you would expect on a sump.

The cable is probably the original so 223,000 miles on one cable is not bad going.

On 28/09/2020 at 11:17, egg said:

First full tank on the i10 auto - 41.39 mpg (31 litres for 282 miles).

Gives an effective range of 315 miles (35 litre tank).

1995 Mazda 323 auto does about 39-40 in similar conditions. 

Progress!

How does that compare to your MPG in it @purplebargeken?

Mrs Egg drove the whole of the next tank, and she achieved 46.73 mpg. Conclusion, Mrs E is a hypermiler and she doesn't know it.

14 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Traveller funeral. Fairly common occurance in this drab shithole town, the town gets blocked off and they force people to stop by driving vehicles down the wrong side of the road at them. 

Not much point in trying to prevent them. May aswell let them do what they want and go.  Takes less time / effort overall. 

Which neatly explains the mealy-mouthed quote from the law, doesn't it?  Officers dispatched to do fuck all when there would have been plenty to keep them busy (stolen vans, no insurance etc..) But no, it's easier to threaten the undertakers. 

6 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

Which neatly explains the mealy-mouthed quote from the law, doesn't it?  Officers dispatched to do fuck all when there would have been plenty to keep them busy (stolen vans, no insurance etc..) But no, it's easier to threaten the undertakers. 

Easier to pick off the undertakers than trying to pick off 400+ pikeys, many of whom will have been drinking....

16 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Easier to pick off the undertakers than trying to pick off 400+ pikeys, many of whom will have been drinking....

Sadly, you're right. Can you imagine the outcry if the law clamped, towed, impounded or crushed the offending parked vehicles though? No, far easier to take the safe option and keep instilling fear amongst the law abiding.. 

21 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

Sadly, you're right. Can you imagine the outcry if the law clamped, towed, impounded or crushed the offending parked vehicles though? No, far easier to take the safe option and keep instilling fear amongst the law abiding.. 

Bedfordshire Constabulary don't really have the resources to deal with a concentration of pikey mourners anyway.

Police forces here seem to get a bit nervous when required to handle* mass pikey gatherings.

'Tis the same in Ireland.