The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Never quite understood those Koenig conversions. Seem to be aimed at the more money than sense crowd who think that their factory fresh Ferrari isn't powerful enough.

The Ferrari 348 wasn't powerful enough and that was one of the problems with it. At the time, the Honda NSX made a mockery of it in pretty much every way. Faster, better handling, Senna influence and of course won't leave you stranded. Hence the 348 was replaced by the 355 after not too long. 

Unfortunately the 348 is still the poor man's Ferrari but you have to not be very poor to just buy one now. Otherwise I'd totally have sold everything automotive wise and got one! :(

a freind of mine has moved back up to uni and thought they better change their insurance so it reflects the car is now parked in a big city in the midlands of the UK, not a rural part of the SE of England, expecting perhaps 50-100 quid extra. it was more than double the bloody original price so they decided not to bother. considering they will be doing one trip a week to the shops rather than driving 4+ times a week around dangerous country lanes I can see their annoyance at the price raise which is quite frankly, rediculous.

I have no space and cars that need work already. I do not need any more cars. I have the Beetle as a project, the MX5 for funsies and the Skoda as a modern daily.

Yet... I can't seem to get the idea of a Renault 19 out of my head despite having nowhere to keep one and no purpose for it because all my automotive bases are covered. Or anything mediocre from the late 80s/early 90s...

Does anyone else do this? 

Saab 900 MoT is tomorrow, so I thought I’d better check the ‘own goal’ fails... realised one of the side lights is out. So I go to my draw of bits and no I don’t have the correct bulb... no worries, I’ll pinch the one out of the 9000, both Saabs made a year apart surely it’ll be the same... but no.

Scratch my head a bit... MX5? Quick removal of front sunlight unit later and yes right bulb!

Pinching bits from one car to make the other work... standard. 

Pessimistic as ever about the test... not that there’s anything obviously wrong... apart from the handbrake is shit... hopefully the right side of the line though. First time with this tester, hopefully he’ll be kind... 

48 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Pinching bits from one car to make the other work... standard. 

The indicator “tell-tale” on my Mini had to be replaced with about 5 minutes warning, and came out of the Avensis’ rear number plate illumination. It’ll be there forever more! 

42 minutes ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

This morning I set out to buy a BMW 328i. Instead I have finished the day with a Rover 45 diesel. 

rovr.thumb.jpg.13ffef03b770c514613595a7586b50d8.jpg

But it's quite nice. 45k, one owner. Good spec with aircon, sunroof etc. It might even be more economical than the BMW. Who knows. 

Rover = many more shite points then Beemer... 

51 minutes ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

This morning I set out to buy a BMW 328i. Instead I have finished the day with a Rover 45 diesel. 

rovr.thumb.jpg.13ffef03b770c514613595a7586b50d8.jpg

But it's quite nice. 45k, one owner. Good spec with aircon, sunroof etc. It might even be more economical than the BMW. Who knows. 

You should fit in well here doing deals like that :)

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Saab 900 MoT is tomorrow, so I thought I’d better check the ‘own goal’ fails... realised one of the side lights is out. So I go to my draw of bits and no I don’t have the correct bulb... no worries, I’ll pinch the one out of the 9000, both Saabs made a year apart surely it’ll be the same... but no.

Won't the test centre you go to replace them for you?

Others may be different but mine just charge for the cost of the bulb unless its a massive ballache to get to. Others may not be FoC on the labour, but I can't imagine it'll be much for a bulb change like that.

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Won't the test centre you go to replace them for you?

I’m sure they would, but I hate sending a car in which I know has an obvious fail point to a garage I’ve not used before... Once you develop that rapport with the tester then I have been known to do that. Sadly since I moved house a couple of years ago I’ve not managed to find a tester I trust yet... I’m hoping this is the one! 

30 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I’m sure they would, but I hate sending a car in which I know has an obvious fail point to a garage I’ve not used before... Once you develop that rapport with the tester then I have been known to do that. Sadly since I moved house a couple of years ago I’ve not managed to find a tester I trust yet... I’m hoping this is the one! 

100% agree! Hidden rust, brake pipes, the big rubber parts, fair game. Lights, tyres, brake pads etc, not if I can help it! 

Ruins an otherwise lovely pass sheet... 

51 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That week in Ceredigion went by a bit too quickly for my liking. No lockdown, so on the way home now... *sighs*

20200928_164132.jpg

Ceredigion is an absolutely lovely place. I hope to move there one day.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Ceredigion is an absolutely lovely place. I hope to move there one day.

Better move quickly. The local market is going a bit mad in Ceredigion at the moment. Many houses are selling in days, and 'tis mostly English households wanting to move in - either to escape Covid-ridden England, or as second homes ('twas ever thus). This time last year, the market was all but dead, except for retirees.

Obviously that will price the local population further out of the market, and doubtless English suburban attitudes may clash with Welsh farming tradition in places....

WCPGW?

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Better move quickly. The local market is going a bit mad in Ceredigion at the moment. Many houses are selling in days, and 'tis mostly English households wanting to move in - either to escape Covid-ridden England, or as second homes ('twas ever thus). This time last year, the market was all but dead, except for retirees.

Obviously that will price the local population further out of the market, and doubtless English suburban attitudes may clash with Welsh farming tradition in places....

WCPGW?

I'm regrettably talking about upwards of 10 years into the future. I have to stay stuck down south for a little while yet!