The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My near neighbours have visitors, they have gone out somewhere in neighbours new RR sport in place of visitors elderly one. Is this the really, really unreliable period, or just awful?

image.jpg

Did oil and filter changes on both my 2014 Dacia Logan and my 1962 Land Rover.

Both have cartridge type oil filters but a bit of a difference in size.

IMG_2989.thumb.JPG.a1190448fe63b3e9245deedcb22ce267.JPG

I need ramps to get under the Dacia, but plenty of space under the Land Rover with it sitting on the ground.

IMG_2990.thumb.JPG.6d1b5235711dfd1dd0390b9a35525d4f.JPGIMG_2992.thumb.JPG.b78ac3034f122cbafa85f94dc51775d4.JPG

Land Rover’s filter is a bit of a faff to get back on again as it’s quite an awkward thing to support while trying to get the securing bolt started and access is restricted by a chassis leg to one side and the front propshaft directly below it.

IMG_2993.thumb.JPG.235939c5a5a44e65919c568408e7e004.JPG

I like doing 2 oil changes at the same time as I can make use of the time waiting one engine to drain by making a start on the second. Similarly after filling with new oil I like to give it time to settle before checking the level so can usually find something useful to do on the other vehicle while waiting.

When under the Dacia I noticed a considerable amount of rust taking hold on the front chassis legs so gave then a good scrape/wire brush and a couple of coats of paint while I had it up on the ramps. 

IMG_2994.thumb.JPG.ef0ff84ee0eccaa697c9d359f960da4a.JPGIMG_2995.thumb.JPG.fb41c6ed40782ec821cc35c7918c7308.JPG

16 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

With all the 2cv here, I can't stop looking at a cheap air cooled Citroen for sale not far from me.

Galleribilde

You should buy it, you know you want to.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

You should buy it, you know you want to.

Yes, but how to pay for it with a  Mercedes with an unhealthy appetite for my money is the problem.

Everyone at work getting there bikes out... makes me want to get my 2 wheels out.. just need too finishing putting back together... only thing is they got 600 cc triumphs... compared to my 50cc twist and go..... Will I have size envy...lol

• Haha 1

@wuvvum and other East Anglian shiters, it's Oaksmere Italia today, off the A140 'twixt Diss and Eye.

We popped along last year, not a big event but there was some nice stuff there. Weather's good, will visit in the Laurel as I think there's an area for non-Italian stuff.

1972 Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000

15 hours ago, richardmorris said:

My near neighbours have visitors, they have gone out somewhere in neighbours new RR sport in place of visitors elderly one. Is this the really, really unreliable period, or just awful?

image.jpg

I’ll let you know in another six months!

I’ve just bought a low-ish mileage 2011 (facelift). My hunch is that, like a lot of big heavy cars, the original issues have all been sorted but their current reliability is all down to how well they’ve been cared for.

Chassis rust is still impressive though!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

Everyone at work getting there bikes out... makes me want to get my 2 wheels out.. just need too finishing putting back together... only thing is they got 600 cc triumphs... compared to my 50cc twist and go..... Will I have size envy...lol

It's not the size, it what you do with it and where you go with it.  I suggest somewhere downhill. When I last had a moped, I took it for a weeks holiday around the lake district. Up the A6 via Garstang and Lancaster.

I liked* the misery. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, wheel nut said:

Did oil and filter changes on both my 2014 Dacia Logan and my 1962 Land Rover.

Both have cartridge type oil filters but a bit of a difference in size.

IMG_2989.thumb.JPG.a1190448fe63b3e9245deedcb22ce267.JPG

I need ramps to get under the Dacia, but plenty of space under the Land Rover with it sitting on the ground.

IMG_2990.thumb.JPG.6d1b5235711dfd1dd0390b9a35525d4f.JPGIMG_2992.thumb.JPG.b78ac3034f122cbafa85f94dc51775d4.JPG

Land Rover’s filter is a bit of a faff to get back on again as it’s quite an awkward thing to support while trying to get the securing bolt started and access is restricted by a chassis leg to one side and the front propshaft directly below it.

IMG_2993.thumb.JPG.235939c5a5a44e65919c568408e7e004.JPG

I like doing 2 oil changes at the same time as I can make use of the time waiting one engine to drain by making a start on the second. Similarly after filling with new oil I like to give it time to settle before checking the level so can usually find something useful to do on the other vehicle while waiting.

When under the Dacia I noticed a considerable amount of rust taking hold on the front chassis legs so gave then a good scrape/wire brush and a couple of coats of paint while I had it up on the ramps. 

IMG_2994.thumb.JPG.ef0ff84ee0eccaa697c9d359f960da4a.JPGIMG_2995.thumb.JPG.fb41c6ed40782ec821cc35c7918c7308.JPG

At first I thought this was the Land Rover. Not good for a nine year old car.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The P4 responded pretty well to a bit of mopping. It looks lovely! 

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3363.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

I'm mega glad you saved this. I worried that it was at a real risk of ending up going around the oval on whoever bought it in a few owners time once on the general market.

I really wanted to buy this from @Minimad5 and caused me much anguish that everything/everyone sensible said that I'd be just digging my self into a bigger hole of cars needing work by doing so. I ended up buying the P4 that Zel had and probably was the right decision as I could actually use it before needing many weekends worth of work doing.

I really am looking forward to seeing it progress!

• Like 4

After Meg wouldn't get fuel, even after replacing the mechanical fuel pump, I decided to start at the cheapest point first. 

Turns out, that was a good idea. I lobbed some cling film on the fuel filler cap and she started straight away. 

20230903_123804.thumb.jpg.9a3c6cc567ccca2bfafe46921f04d4f5.jpg

Wish I'd used that approach last time, before I'd changed the fuel pump. 

So Meg is now moving under her own power for the 1st time in a long time. 

Have ordered a new filler cap which will arrive later this week. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I'm mega glad you saved this. I worried that it was at a real risk of ending up going around the oval on whoever bought it in a few owners time once on the general market.

I really wanted to buy this from @Minimad5 and caused me much anguish that everything/everyone sensible said that I'd be just digging my self into a bigger hole of cars needing work by doing so. I ended up buying the P4 that Zel had and probably was the right decision as I could actually use it before needing many weekends worth of work doing.

I really am looking forward to seeing it progress!

I wouldn’t speak too soon! I’ve been working on the brakes, refitting the master cylinder when I spotted a very old looking  welded patch on the NS chassis next to the steering idler, I poked about at it and it fell off.. I kept poking and poking…… Unfortunately it looks terminal as it would need a lot of dismantling and skill to fix. It would be easier to simply replace the chassis. I was already considering replacing the body tub with a better one, but what do you have when you replace the chassis and the body? Might as well start with a different car.  It’s a shame but I factored in something terminal when I bought the Rover, the rust was well hidden until I pulled the patch off, I’m just glad I wasn’t too many ££££s in when I found it. 

I’ve definitely got the P4 taste now though, they’re just such fun cars to work on! Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled for another project and use this one for spares….

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I wouldn’t speak too soon! I’ve been working on the brakes, refitting the master cylinder when I spotted a very old looking  welded patch on the NS chassis next to the steering idler, I poked about at it and it fell off.. I kept poking and poking…… Unfortunately it looks terminal as it would need a lot of dismantling and skill to fix. It would be easier to simply replace the chassis. I was already considering replacing the body tub with a better one, but what do you have when you replace the chassis and the body? Might as well start with a different car.  It’s a shame but I factored in something terminal when I bought the Rover, the rust was well hidden until I pulled the patch off, I’m just glad I wasn’t too many ££££s in when I found it. 

I’ve definitely got the P4 taste now though, they’re just such fun cars to work on! Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled for another project and use this one for spares….

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

Anything is fixable but that does look like it'd be a whole shite load of work! So I don't blame you to throw in the towel if the chassis is terminal.

Might be worth posting on the P4 Facebook group if someone has a chassis going cheap or spare. Might well be as some strip cars for spares and the chassis do tend to be stout. 

That 60 engine is apparently popular with Land Rover enthusiasts. Panels aren't cheap second hand on the P4 and neither is interior trim so worth keeping if you are getting another project. 

40 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

Ouch. That looks like a fairly significant chunk of metal to have simply vanished...

I imagine the expending foam aided a lot in completely rotting it out.

38 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

Ouch, that's not what you want to find!

Funnily enough I do know of a seemingly largely solid but scruffy example...

Linky

Aside from the one bit where someone had obviously done a crap job of jacking it at some point the chassis on that one has seemed sound everywhere I've looked at it.  Car isn't actually here right now so I can't actually go poke the bit by the steering box specifically though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bren said:

At first I thought this was the Land Rover. Not good for a nine year old car.

To be fair when this was brand new it was only around £9K so can't expect too much in the way of build quality.  I thought of it as disposable white goods when I bought it at 3 years old. However with the price of suitable replacements rocketing in recent years, I'll be trying to make this last as long as I can. 

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

good luck.............. big massive cahoonas