The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

Any difference if the MAF is unplugged? (If it has one)

I don't know, I haven't prodded too much. I know that the BME code doesn't have an EGR valve unlike the AZQ but that's about all I know. It's getting new spark plugs along with the filters in March for the "big" 60k service.

5 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I had a coil go at 56k and had a flashing EML and a very noticeable misfire. It did this before one went too, so could just be a waiting game. I keep one spare in the boot anyway. One down, two to go and that.

I've only got three cylinders so running on two is VERY noticeable... 😆

Do a compression test before you spend any money on it.  These things eat exhaust valves and it's not a nice repair (I've done two).

1 minute ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

These things eat exhaust valves and it's not a nice repair (I've done two).

I thought that was just the 6v that suffered from that due to the limited number of valves? I've got the 12 valve model.

5 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

Do a compression test before you spend any money on it.  These things eat exhaust valves and it's not a nice repair (I've done two).

Would valve failure cause intermittent bad running though?

17 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I don't know, I haven't prodded too much. I know that the BME code doesn't have an EGR valve unlike the AZQ but that's about all I know. It's getting new spark plugs along with the filters in March for the "big" 60k service.

Make sure you get the right plugs. Don't much at all about your engine, but some modern engines can be fussy on them. I'd pull the plugs now and give them an inspection too.

I wouldn't discount other issues like fuel pump failing/crap in the tank, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, SiC said:

Make sure you get the right plugs. Don't much at all about your engine, but some modern engines can be fussy on them.

Will do. I'm currently waiting to see if a coil pack goes pop as it seems likely.

29 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I thought that was just the 6v that suffered from that due to the limited number of valves? I've got the 12 valve model.

28 minutes ago, SiC said:

Would valve failure cause intermittent bad running though?

I don't know if both are affected, I just know I'm not much of a fan of those 3-cyl VAG motors.  The last one that did it was a 60k from new car, that had been well looked after.  The exhaust valves run too hot (IMO) and start to burn, around the edges at first, then they develop a crack and fail to hold compression.  I guess the ECU will adjust timing and fuelling to compensate to some degree.

They suffer bad timing scatter from a worn chain and tensioner, too, further causing fuel trims and ignition timing to be all over the place.  That might account for variable performance, but I agree, a burnt valve would most likely cause constant issues.  Sometimes its just a shuddery idle and runs 'ok' at anything over 1k rpm, albeit with a lack of power.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

They suffer bad timing scatter from a worn chain and tensioner, too, further causing fuel trims and ignition timing to be all over the place.  That might account for variable performance

Also my thoughts. At this point, if it dies, it dies - I've got an emergency fund for a spare shitbox that would keep me going. I may SORN it and do something daft with it should the worst happen, or do a like for like swap with the engine if I fancy being bland. :D

• Like 1

Talking towing, I’ve just fitted a tow bar to the Fusion. Finally the trailer is no longer stranded in the garden! 

7CBAB686-5C05-41E2-8486-5A2EA978D34C.jpeg

• Like 3

After 169,550 miles with me - and 269,800 miles on the spinner - the Avensis has left the Bornite “Portfolio”.

A sad day, but an inevitable one. Here’s to a faithful old chum. 1F814A0F-0695-4832-A207-496970594185.thumb.jpeg.e0334a5b1cd03753ad7ffb1cfc1f00cd.jpeg

I now understand entirely why John Peel wasn’t at home when his lovely old Mercedes left the home! 😭 

It’s off to a very good home, so all’s well…

End of an era right there.

I've just stopped for a break now that I've (hopefully) successfully wired up the whole of the Lanchester dashboard.  I'm almost at the point where I can make the final shopping list for all the connectors and wires that didn't come with the new harness and after that, it's testing time.  Having said that, there's some things I can probably test already, but I want everything all buttoned up before I do so I can go through the car all in one go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

End of an era right there.

I've just stopped for a break now that I've (hopefully) successfully wired up the whole of the Lanchester dashboard.  I'm almost at the point where I can make the final shopping list for all the connectors and wires that didn't come with the new harness and after that, it's testing time.  Having said that, there's some things I can probably test already, but I want everything all buttoned up before I do so I can go through the car all in one go.

I was pleased to replace 3 bulbs on.my Astra recently. 

The 2 inner rear lamp bulbs (On the boot lid) and a number plate light. 

It passed the MOT with all 3 out of action. 

1 minute ago, vulgalour said:

Not sure if that's a Scrap It or an All Vauxhalls Are Shit moment you've had there.

I'm not sure why they did not think about making bulb replacement possible without the use of tools 

Small update - a new battery for her Golf - passed the test during the week - 17 years old now and she’s had it for 15 and I don’t remember changing the battery before - not sure I believe a battery would last that long so maybe I have forgotten changing it along the way - but now it needs a jump every morning so had to bed done 

8968772E-EAC4-4629-A013-F5CC110288DC.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

You need to get one of these to match it:

1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire Limousine E889 TOK (C&S 10/89)

That would have been preferable version,only bought this because it has a 205 block 2.0 pinto,and it was cheap(obvs)

7 minutes ago, 00833827 said:

We will all get a spin in it some day I suppose 

Nobody here is getting out alive!

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It’s off to a very good home, so all’s well…

Fingers crossed! I assisted in the purchase and collection of this fine conveyance today.

Basically, @BorniteIdentitykindly answered my appeal for a useable sub-£500 beater for Miss SL and her boyfriend to use on the Dash to Dubrovnik student road trip/banger rally thing that they've signed-up for this summer. We had some kind offers on here, but everything seemed to work out in a very serendipitous way with this one.

I didn't start a full collection thread as it was all very simple and painless.  I drove there with the BF's dad, then Miss SL and BF rendezvoused with us at Bornite towers on their way back from Loughborough. We were all very happy with what we saw and how it drove so they did a purchase.

Obligatory petrol station shots:

1999 Toyota Avensis 2.0 SR

1999 Toyota Avensis 2.0 SR

We've all learnt to call it Tuscan Plum. It's stood up to the mileage very well, with much TLC (and spending) clearly lavished on it over the years. They know they've got something a bit special here and will do all they can to make sure it comes home again. BF's family run a local village garage so it will get well fettled before the trip, and it will be in regular use beforehand to make sure all is OK.

Miss SL has now had a drive in it, she approves and there's some familiarity with her Mk1 Yaris.

It may be helpful rather sooner than planned, as the BF's Impreza borked its clutch just after they'd dropped the Avensis off at the garage.

I've already volunteered to buy it off them after the trip.....

The new workshop has excellent height, as it was built circa 1975 as a lorry workshop. It originally had an inspection pit (long since filled in as it kept flooding) but it was crying out for a four post lift. 
I was always under the impression that four post lifts were only available three-phase but it seems there are a few single phase ones available now, aimed at the enthusiastic amateur/semi professional.
Had great service from Birmingham-based Lift Giant who were very helpful, and brought the new lift all the way over to Lincolnshire, then spent about three hours assembling it here on site.

Decided to use my Austin Somerset as a Guinea pig, so up it went. The guys who installed it had already tested it out using their BMW tow car admittedly, but it’s great, we’re really pleased with it. It’s finest Chinesium and would probably get laughed out of a professional workshop, but it cost probably half what a Tecalemit or similar would cost and it appears to be very well made.
It also has detachable wheels so it can be moved around, and we’ve already moved it further back into the corner so there’s space for another car in front now.

C6F8EE4B-F23B-4C7D-819F-81F6742204ED.jpeg

A4C24F46-0633-475F-8E94-D86D18AD42D1.jpeg

307FBADD-F3F4-4B01-BB29-2AA90258D9FB.jpeg

Mrs W looked out the window this morning and noticed some neighbour pointing at the fleet of AS cars lined up outside our house in disgust to her husband.  Why the fuck do people get so worked up at three taxed and insured older cars parked legally on the road.  Its not like I live on a posh estate where everyone drives range rovers and I never park them directly outside anyone else house yet people still seem to take offense.   We once had someone knock at the door (thankfully when I was out) asking about my intentions for my old Sierra which was legally parked outside my own house, but not being used.  All it does is make me tempted to buy another just to piss them off