Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

It is just bolts, but they're a hellish size. Slightly smaller than 14mm, slightly larger than 13mm and I haven't managed to find an imperial equivalent. PAIN IN THE ARSE. 

1/4" Whitworth?

• Like 3

I thought that to begin with too.

But,If we all liked the same thing this would be a boring place.

I'm finding this rebuild fascinating.

As a nipper I was always trying to peer into them if i found one parked but Mum would always drag me away! :D

Trudat, maybe its because my 3 wheeled conveyance of choice has always been the Reliant Robin

My Grandad had one the exact colour of this forum when we were kids, he died when I was 15 and my nan floated the idea of me having it...My dad sold it, rapidly.  No doubt he thought he was 'saving' me at the time. 

I thought that to begin with too.

But,If we all liked the same thing this would be a boring place.

Indeed... A strange world if we all liked the same.

However, it would be a queer one if we were all blokes!

TS

Aye. That Tartan Tarmac one was restored by a chap in Scotland. I think it's even got Angel Eye headlamps. BLING.

That'll be Fraser from Renfrewshire. Great restoration - he even converted it to have a foot brake and steering wheel :-)

This is why I have a set of Metrinch sockets(other brands of 'fit any hex' sorcery are available); they fit anything and reduce the risk of acute passion fingers syndrome.

I wasn't going to do any more tinkering, but somehow found myself removing the cowling from the spare engine. YUCK!

27331934_10156129038868200_5931334052390

I think this was the right decision, even though it requires removal of about 30 tiny screws and bolts. Oh, and the rocker covers to remove one bit. 

• Like 2

This is why I have a set of Metrinch sockets(other brands of 'fit any hex' sorcery are available); they fit anything and reduce the risk of acute passion fingers syndrome.

Seem to recall those are the 'multisize' (within a close tolerance!) spanners with knobbles inside the jaws that operate on the flats rather than the corners? Pretty sure Six-cylinder has a set kicking around somewhere...

Get the engine to a local engineering firm and get the distributor free, it will make sense in the long run.

Sadly, the 'local' firm is 12 miles away and has a crap reputation, which means at least a 20 mile run out, if not more. Bluebird cylinder head ended up being refurbed 50 miles away. Wales can be truly crap at times.

Never heard of 'em. They sound worth having!

Metrinch is just a brand name; the generic term is wall- or flank-drive.

Seem to recall those are the 'multisize' (within a close tolerance!) spanners with knobbles inside the jaws that operate on the flats rather than the corners? Pretty sure Six-cylinder has a set kicking around somewhere...

That's the badger.

Yup, a hammer and a 13mm socket and all will be well. Oh hold on. They're bolts. Am I really going to wreck TWO 13mm sockets? I think not. Bah.

Adjustable spanner not man enough to hold one side still?

Adjustable spanner not man enough to hold one side still?

In my experience, adjustable spanners are just utterly shit. Maybe because I've never owned a decent one?

Wait...how many nuts/bolts to get the cowling off?!?

Thought getting into the engine on my VW T25 to remove the wasp nest was bad...

MANY. It's about eight screws on a 2CV, and they're quick-thread. Thankfully, they're decent quality, so even though the heads were rusty, they all came undone without snapping.

In my experience, adjustable spanners are just utterly shit. Maybe because I've never owned a decent one?

Cheap adjustable spanners are utter wank.  A decent quality one can be a useful tool if used carefully.

• Like 2