HMC- Winter beater XK8 vs Entropy

HMC

16 hours ago, HMC said:

The acclaim dropped onto 3 cylinders on the way back. It also got quite hot in traffic, the fan cut in, but it was smoking quite a bit..

How much 4 the bumpers m9?

Mine used to get quite hot but it only had about 1/16th of the cooling fins on the rad still intact...

7 hours ago, neil1971 said:

Not my photo but spotted the 300C at Ringwood Cheetahs banger track, fortunately only in the car park!

nissan300C.jpg.b340e3b07ec7286a9b76746e859b4812.jpg

Still kicking myself for not jumping on this immediately!

• Like 2

Safrane has been sold on, as has the Acclaim.   The GS also has (the latter 2 to shiters, and the GS to a person interested when it was  first offered up in the summer.)

The Samara is due to be on the road by the end of this week. Its not my only car though….

IMG_7398.jpeg.a80247519d09de22e14c4e677331d605.jpeg

6 minutes ago, HMC said:

Safrane has been sold on, as has the Acclaim.   The GS also has (the latter 2 to shiters, and the GS to a person interested in in when it was  first offered up in the summer.)

The Samara is due to be on the road by the end of this week. Its not my only car though….

Shame about the Safrane, hope it went to a good home. For this one just want to very clearly say DIBS though! Was always interested in the XK8.

9 minutes ago, HMC said:

Safrane has been sold on, as has the Acclaim.   The GS also has (the latter 2 to shiters, and the GS to a person interested in in when it was  first offered up in the summer.)

Still a staggeringly good looking car.

They look great but I didnt enjoy the driving experience. Very floaty but you still crash over potholes and zero handling, power is on par with a 2.0 litre not a 4.0 litre as well, I was disappointed so moved it on

13 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Still kicking myself for not jumping on this immediately!

There's been so many great bargains from @HMC,  we don't look at the forum for a couple of hours and miss out on something that's been snapped up straightaway! If I remember correctly, this popped up for sale in Wales for lot more money quite soon afterwards.

1 hour ago, cbowditch said:

They look great but I didnt enjoy the driving experience. Very floaty but you still crash over potholes and zero handling, power is on par with a 2.0 litre not a 4.0 litre as well, I was disappointed so moved it on

I know what you mean, i think the big low profile but cheap brands on this one doesnt help.

Fat, cheap tyres must be par for the course for a poundland grand tourer.

19 hours ago, HMC said:

Safrane has been sold on, as has the Acclaim.   The GS also has (the latter 2 to shiters, and the GS to a person interested when it was  first offered up in the summer.)

That reg is so close to the coupe I used to have! I thought it was my old car for a second..!

• HMC changed the title to HMC- new xk8 Jag commuter
On 29/09/2024 at 21:16, HMC said:

Stunning. But their abilty to dissolve like a gaviscon put me off these.

1 minute ago, Bren said:

Stunning. But their abilty to dissolve like a gaviscon put me off these.

Me too. I was able to put this one on a lift to have a good look at the underside before i  went any further. Im planning to dunk it in a bucket of bilt hamber.

34 minutes ago, HMC said:

Im planning to dunk it in a bucket of bilt hamber.

That will benefit the next owner.

Do you think you will ever find a car and keep it indefinitely? I’ve had my W123 for almost 15 years and will never sell it, I want to be buried in it.

9 minutes ago, Peter C said:

That will benefit the next owner.

Do you think you will ever find a car and keep it indefinitely? I’ve had my W123 for almost 15 years and will never sell it, I want to be buried in it.

Probably not

22 hours ago, HMC said:

Me too. I was able to put this one on a lift to have a good look at the underside before i  went any further. Im planning to dunk it in a bucket of bilt hamber.

If only it was that easy! 

A small win on the xk8. The windows wouldnt go back up after the door was shut into the seals. Initially i suspected electrical gremlins- (how prejudicial of me) but actually all that was needed was a simple reset process- fully down/ fully up and normal service has been resumed. 

I think this was a sort of high days and holidays plaything so im looking forward to putting some miles on it simply as A CAR.  A perverse counterpoint to an EV.

Whats worse- maintaining and driving or this buying / having manufactured a new EV? 

2 hours ago, HMC said:

A small win on the xk8. The windows wouldnt go back up after the door was shut into the seals. Initially i suspected electrical gremlins- (how prejudicial of me) but actually all that was needed was a simple reset process- fully down/ fully up and normal service has been resumed. 

I think this was a sort of high days and holidays plaything so im looking forward to putting some miles on it simply as A CAR.  A perverse counterpoint to an EV.

Whats worse- maintaining and driving or this buying / having manufactured a new EV? 

You'd have to drive the Jag for years to get to the level of energy consumed from just building the EV, nevermind driving the EV afterwards. If they continue to be the throwaway products that they are due to battery failure/cost of replacement then even more so. 10 year old Model S' get written off left and right because of the cost of repair (battery replacement).

This applies to most new cars nowadays though. The XK is already lasting longer than most of them will.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Probably just comes down to how many miles you do, a few thousand a year the jag would be the environmentally friendlier option. Someone doing 20k a year for work an EV would make back the outlay much quicker as it were, in money terms too as well as the environmental side.

• HMC changed the title to HMC- XK8 Vs EV face off
55 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

This applies to most new cars nowadays and 20 years ago.  This XK is already lasting longer than most of them did.

Ftfy.  Cars are treated as disposable which is bad.  Let's say @HMC keeps this for a long time and in so doing avoids the production of a new car.  This is of course a benefit.

It seems unlikely though.

Having said that I guess having @HMC as an owner generally increases the lifespan of a vehicle Vs it being bought by someone else who just scraps it.  

11 hours ago, loserone said:

Ftfy.  Cars are treated as disposable which is bad.  Let's say @HMC keeps this for a long time and in so doing avoids the production of a new car.  This is of course a benefit.

It seems unlikely though.

Having said that I guess having @HMC as an owner generally increases the lifespan of a vehicle Vs it being bought by someone else who just scraps it.  

I think the treatment of cars hasn't changed all that much. The difference is that cars from 20+ years ago give you a good chance of keeping them going. Anything more recent (there is no clear year, just a trend) is quickly ending in a financial dead end. I.e. a battery replacement.

19 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

financial dead end. I.e. a battery replacement.

No more so than anything requiring welding, HGF, a DPF, DMF clutch...

25 minutes ago, loserone said:

No more so than anything requiring welding, HGF, a DPF, DMF 

Right enough cars do get scrapped for needing any one of those listed so doesn't bode well when a battery goes down at far more cost to the owner to replace.  

9 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

Right enough cars do get scrapped for needing any one of those listed so doesn't bode well when a battery goes down at far more cost to the owner to replace.  

If one of those is needed it's probably affordable, as would another one being needed the next year. I imagine part of the problem is the money is needed in one large lump sum for the battery, that would certainly cause me to consider scrapping it whereas the others could be viewed as being part of the costs of running an old car.

A quick Google says that an average EV definitely costs you more energy/emissions to make in the first place (around double) but the break even on lifetime emissions vs a petrol is 15-20000 miles.

If you did replace a battery at say 100000 miles you are still well up on environmental impact. Probably also just about up in cash terms depending where you charge.

Unlikely to be necessary, aside from 1st gen EVs which started with fairly short range and/or poor thermal management(leaf, Imiev etc) the signs are that most will still be trundling on at double that, although the obsolescence of the rest of the car and non-availability of basic wearing spares may well send it over the bridge before then. It will be interesting to see whether a market emerges for refurbing earlier EVs with the batteries of scrapped later generations.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

If you did replace a battery at say 100000 miles you are still well up on environmental impact. Probably also just about up in cash terms depending where you charge.

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Unlikely to be necessary, aside from 1st gen EVs which started with fairly short range and/or poor thermal management(leaf, Imiev etc) the signs are that most will still be trundling on at double that, although the obsolescence of the rest of the car and non-availability of basic wearing spares may well send it over the bridge before then. It will be interesting to see whether a market emerges for refurbing earlier EVs with the batteries of scrapped later generations.

Plus the batteries can always be second life in power storage etc. And there seems to be a bit of a cottage industry using things like old Nissan Leaf batteries as conversion kits etc