New blue Poojo 205 (page 2)

holbeck

So here it is, my new shite. Having missed out on several 205's and a ZX, I leapt at the chance to become the new owner of this.

A povo spec 205D

16342187317_f9535f6ce7_z.jpg001 by holbeck251, on Flickr

Effectively a one owner car, as it's been in the same hands since 1995, looking at the service history it's been well looked after by independent garages through most of that time. Clocking up 72K in the process

It seems to have been laid up for a year then presumably sold sans MOT to the bloke I've bought it off.

He's obviously turned a few quid by MOT'ing it and selling it on - nothing wrong with that.

I think I paid a fair price for a clean car with new MOT.

16340395688_4520c2316c_z.jpg004 by holbeck251, on Flickr

There's a couple of little niggle's like the boot lock is loose, and the jack and wheelbrace are missing (unless the 205 guru's amongst you are going to tell me they are in a secret place?)

I am surprised that it is running on 13 inch rims (155/70 13's infact), I thought as diesel it would be on 14's, maybe you know better?

cheers

H

Superb!

Jack and wheelbrace under the bonnet? I can't remember on these, but it's worth a look.

I love 205s, had a 3 door dturbo and a GT, both this colour. They exude an intangible Magic that no other car I've ever been in can come close to, it's just something about how they handle that is inherantly 'right'.

• Like 2

Top bombing! seems to be doing the usual 205 thing of resisting rust and making us ask where it was that peugeot lost the plot with styling so spectacularly.

Much history?

FWIW  I recon povo spec suits these perfectly, and also means theres way more chance of everything working properly!

• Like 2

There's a fair bit of history, stamps in the book for the early years. always an independent rather than main dealer.

In the last five years there's receipts for annual services plus other work. Including one for over £500(!) when the cambelt plus some other stuff was done at 60K.

So here it is, my new shite. Having missed out on several 205's and a ZX, I leapt at the chance to become the new owner of this.

A povo spec 205D

16342187317_f9535f6ce7_z.jpg001 by holbeck251, on Flickr

I am surprised that it is running on 13 inch rims (155/70 13's infact), I thought as diesel it would be on 14's, maybe you know better?

That's a lovely looking thing.

M'coli is right - 13s are standard on 155s.  However, I put 14s on mine, running 165/60s, and it made a big difference.  The old hoops are now on Monsieur Testes' Pony...

Thanks guys.

The jack and wheel brace have been found! - under the bonnet  (because French)

The other halfs Frenchie has them under the bonnet too. And thats only a few years old.

Looks nice. We are both disheartened by that bloody ZX.

Looks good Andy. Will you being buying some OE trimz or keeping as is for the full on povvo look?!

All the tyres are newish so OE trims are the way to go for now. Anyone got any??

In the longer term, I might try to get a set of alloys from a 1.6 GTi to make a Breadvan replica

seems to be doing the usual 205 thing of resisting rust

This is an urban myth - they hide rust in places so incovenient to weld they cannot be seen my the naked eye. I would ask you please to reserve judgement until my epic thread on welding my 'tidy looking' 205 has been published...

Anyways!

Ive had a few* of these, let me know if you need any parts.

I have at least 3 sets of 1.6 GTi pepperpots, a set of STDT 8 spoke 14s, and one set of 15 inch 1.9 GTi pepperpots - just PM me.

Im not sure if I have a full set of matching wheel trims for you though!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

The 205 ground to a halt today on way to work. The engine just stopped dead, it would turn over but not even trying to fire.

Luckily the gods of shite were smiling on me, as I was only a 1/4 mile from work and at the top of a hill. The only fly in the ointment was the double roundabout and busy junction. So, squeaky bum time........ a coast down the hill, shot across the roundabout, keep going on the flat, turn into the carpark aim for a space... grind to a halt 10ft short.

Have another play about and decide it must be the fuel solenoid, call the RAC anyway and they confirm this. As its 4 o' clock on a Saturday, the parts place they use is closed, but will open if I pay a £40 call out plus £15.99 for the part.

I say "thank you but no".  The RAC man was OK about this and put the solenoid back minus the plunger so it goes ok, but has to be stalled to stop it.

Just got back and ordered one off ebay for £6.99.

In other news I've done a deal with Will of this parish for a set of alloys, not seen them yet as they are being pony expressed down to me by a friend of a friend.

• Like 2

^^ WHS tonights investigations lead me to believe they were all pompe Lucas. Regarding PAS, I find it does make parking quite easy. Mrs H quite happy to drive it as well.

In the mean time, unscrew the solenoid, remove the plunger and the spring, put the solenoid body back in and it should run fine, though it won't turn off!

As far as I know they only came with Lucas pumps (I've been wrong before though) and the steering is almost as heavy with pas as without

I've seen some with POMPE BOSCH. Ms. Peel has problems with her joints so any assistance helps. The three 405s I've owned have had relatively heavy PAS, but great steering feel.

Well I'm a couple of days into "stall to stop" driving,  I dunno whether it's related but I now have a couple of other random problems.

Whilst driving, the wipers suddenly started (while turned off).  - Random.

That was on the way to work, on the way home I found no heater plugs working. This was cured* by turning on/off several times.

I wonder if I have caused this by turning the key off before stopping the engine (only done this a couple of times).

Or maybe - because French.

Defective fuel solenoid now replaced, so now starts and stops on the key. Hooray!

In other news,  average mpg for the last couple of tank fulls coming out at just over 50. Happy with that.