Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

IThe chap I got it off said his grandad owned it for years, so presumably that's the first owner...

I can't remember the guys name now, but wingz might as he got it for me, think it was Bristol or Gloucester. 

2 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

IThe chap I got it off said his grandad owned it for years, so presumably that's the first owner...

I can't remember the guys name now, but wingz might as he got it for me, think it was Bristol or Gloucester. 

The car lived in Bristol certainly for its early life.

@Wingz123 can you add any more detail?

37 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

I could have sworn I got a V5 but it let me do a keeper change with the old new keeper slip! So I guess I didn't. 

12 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

do you still have this old new keeper slip? or remember what style is it in? should tell us roughly how old it is etc

since there was a keeper change in 2019, which would cause a new V5c to be issued, i would expect it to be a modern new keeper slip,

I personally suspect, it was transferred to the chap you got it from, when he got it from his grandad, making "the chap", the 2nd keeper, and then just never transferred to Bramz7's keepership officially

(assuming, the 31st/1st/2019 is not when you got it @bramz7?)

58 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I have a spare Alpine plus chassis that I removed from the CX in favour of a Blaupunkt. Any use to ye?

Thanks for offering.

Is it a stand alone radio Cassette or does it need a separate amplifier? 

I am looking for something that was the usual fitment in a 1988 AX.

I have just checked my 1988 price list and a AX 14TRS would have had a standard fit Stereo radio cassette.

I’m sure I have the Phillips cassette player that came out of my d reg CX in the parent’s garage. I’ll look when I go up in a fortnight. It was working, but would only scroll up through the wavelengths not down. You just had to be patient and wait.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

You are on to a winner with that AX. It looks gorgeous!

Yes, but we need a pick of the wine bottle holder. Forget coffee cup holders for this frenchness.

• Like 2

Love it. I've not seen an AX on an E plate for many, many years. I still remember a lass locally bought one on an E in the early 90s and it was quite unusual to see one so early even then. I ended up taking her out in my 67 Morris Minor on valentine's day and nothing more ever came of it. Maybe our car tastes at the time were just too far removed from one another! 

What's the back story on this gallic gem? 

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The car lived in Bristol certainly for its early life.

@Wingz123 can you add any more detail?

Yes and I could probably dig out the guys address deep within my messages if you ever did want to get in touch with him. I seem to remember him not being all that far from J19 of the M4 which I believe is the M32 exit into Bristol?? 

Yes so it was the chaps grandad who had it. He had indeed as @bramz7 suggested had it from new. Sadly he was forced to give up driving and his wife was unable to drive. Whenever the subject arose regarding selling or getting rid of the car I remember the sellers grandson saying it was like hitting a nerve as the grandad would go off on one. I guess it was the grandads denial in knowing that he would never be back on the road - as a result the car was mothballed in the garage but he still came out to it every so often and started it up to keep things ticking over I remember him saying. 

As the grandads health declined to the point he was no longer able to make it as far as the garage the car sat and sat. When he sadly passed away his wife still couldn't part with the car as it would not have been what he'd wanted. Obviously some day it would have to go. His wife then passed away and it fell to the grandson to sort the estate. 

The grandson picked over it but dont think the sentiment was really appreciated by him (I could be wrong) but this AX was not his thing. His drive was cluttered with an old 940 Volvo and a rather sad looking white Ford Granada, miraculously still holding onto its rear arches. 

The grandson and his friend attempted to get it going by whacking a battery on it and that's about it. I seem to recall him telling me they checked the plugs. As they cranked they managed to get it to fire into life. It idled for all of about 5 seconds then died. More cranking and no firing. In actual fact it would never fire again in this chaps possession and after becoming somewhat baffled by the mysterious non start now he listed it for sale. As I say, I just dont think the attachment or bond even despite his family history with the car was enough for him to try and work out what the cause was. 

Sad but on a more positive note the car is now with someone that 1) is giving it the love it deserves and 2) is keen to restore it to its former glory!! WIN WIN!! 

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Thanks for offering.

I have just checked my 1988 price list and a AX 14TRS would have had a standard fit Stereo radio cassette.

It doesn't need an amplifier. You just connect it to the ISO (or is it DIN) multipin plug thing, connect the RF aerial, and away it goes. Usual Alpine greenish backlighting and digital station display.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Thanks for offering.

There are still some NOS Citroen fitment blaupunkt radios at work. If you want one now is the time to ask.

Like a lot. My old AX (an M reg 1.5d) was on those wheels and I still think they're the prettiest AX wheels you can get. I miss mine.

I live right by the M32/M4 junction so it must have come from somewhere near me originally!

15 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

IMG_20200207_135934 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_135921 broad.jpg

Last taxed in Horfield in 2001.  In 2001 I was living in... Horfield.  So I may well have seen it about.

Beacon Motors now:

Beacon.thumb.jpg.32d416d31975602558e3ae9a367c544c.jpg

Just up the road from my favourite spares shop, Millards Motor Accessories.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It doesn't need an amplifier. You just connect it to the ISO (or is it DIN) multipin plug thing, connect the RF aerial, and away it goes. Usual Alpine greenish backlighting and digital station display.

Here are some photos of the Alpine unit removed from the CX:

20200208_144621.jpg

20200208_144706.jpg

20200208_144726.jpg

20200208_144754.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Here are some photos of the Alpine unit removed from the CX:

20200208_144621.jpg

20200208_144706.jpg

20200208_144726.jpg

20200208_144754.jpg

That looks like it with do the job better than a new cheap Chinese radio. I will pm you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I said good bye to an old friend today, after 9 years I have sold my 2004 Range Rover to WeBuyAnyCar. I left it in a public car park and went into a portacabin to hand it over, all a bit unceremonious really.

I bought the L322 2 weeks after joining Autoshite as a 6 year old Chelsea Tractor and was too embarrassed to talk about it for years! Then it became old and rusty and it seemed ok for it to appear in my pages.

IMG_20200219_120108 broad.jpg

Oooh how much did the cocky idiot who repeated the same question twice give you for it? 

The conversation was hilarious, the guy is blatantly used to chavs offing fucked range rovers off on them, he seemed genuinely surprised when you said you'd had it 9 years and just replaced it with a newer one to get another 10 years out of it, there was a visible pause... 

I bought the L322 2 weeks after joining Autoshite as a 6 year old Chelsea Tractor and was too embarrassed to talk about it for years! Then it became old and rusty and it seemed ok for it to appear in my pages.

1873610115_IMG_20200219_120108broad.thumb.jpg.621d2bd7943ddb2edfdf27901ecfb6fa.jpg

I notice you haven't mentioned it's replacement......

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

I notice you haven't mentioned it's replacement......

You are all trying to embarrass me!

You know it is not suitable before the watershed in about 8 years time when it is old broken and rusty!

• Haha 3

Don’t be embarrassed, as I think I mentioned my neighbours 19reg RR that they’ve had new, has had the dealer called out for non starting  at least three times that I know of. 

The new next door neighbours who I have just met, have a relatively old Land Rover ( not a disco and can’t remember the model).

36 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Oooh how much did the cocky idiot who repeated the same question twice give you for it? 

The conversation was hilarious, the guy is blatantly used to chavs offing fucked range rovers off on them, he seemed genuinely surprised when you said you'd had it 9 years and just replaced it with a newer one to get another 10 years out of it, there was a visible pause... 

You obviously made it more valuable by polishing out the scrapes.