Jump to content

Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.


philibusmo

Recommended Posts

If anyone feels like going down a rabbit hole, the Nissan Heritage website is amazing - hi-res photos of every car in the Nissan Heritage Museum in Japan, loads of period photos and brochures etc. 

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/

Anyhow I'm going with the Nissan NRV-ii. 1983 and it has radar cruise, a 'drowsiness detector' and touch screen navigation (not satnav mind, as there were no satellites). And a 1.3 turbo engine that would only run on methanol.

1603125849166-inlinea.jpg?auto=webp&opti

1603126271043-a.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

1603126278081-e.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

1603126454906-f.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, angle said:

If anyone feels like going down a rabbit hole, the Nissan Heritage website is amazing - hi-res photos of every car in the Nissan Heritage Museum in Japan, loads of period photos and brochures etc. 

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/

Anyhow I'm going with the Nissan NRV-ii. 1983 and it has radar cruise, a 'drowsiness detector' and touch screen navigation (not satnav mind, as there were no satellites). And a 1.3 turbo engine that would only run on methanol.

1603125849166-inlinea.jpg?auto=webp&opti

1603126271043-a.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

1603126278081-e.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

1603126454906-f.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=h

 

 

How did the 'sat nav' work - short-wave radio and detectors along the roadsides?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

How did the 'sat nav' work - short-wave radio and detectors along the roadsides?

That would have required the installation of said detectors... I'd guess some kind of inertial gyroscopic system, hopefully with a method to zero it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Military of Various Nations have used this kind of system for quite a long time, probably longer than most people would imagine (imagine pre-solid-state electronics era). The main issues with it are drift error, due to serious mechanical complexity and calibration precision, even on modern systems.

Here's a more technically detailed link for anyone that may be interested:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_navigation_system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeordieInExile said:

Why have that when you could have this?

Renault Kwid. 57bhp, 775kg, simple smoll car from India. Could be coming to Europe as a Dacia. It's £3k for a bASe one in India, even at double that it would be incredible value.

 

 

Renault-KWID-5-e1432130625951.jpg

Not if it rusts like this 9-year old Indian  Dacia Duster

https://autoshite.com/topic/34511-ebay-tat-volume-3/?do=findComment&comment=2526071

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

Why have that when you could have this?

Renault Kwid. 57bhp, 775kg, simple smoll car from India. Could be coming to Europe as a Dacia. It's £3k for a bASe one in India, even at double that it would be incredible value.

 

 

Renault-KWID-5-e1432130625951.jpg

Hope so, we need something to replace the Suzuki Celerios at work.  They are doing well considering they've been hire cars for 4 years but won't last forever and we like Renault's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

possible a contender for the late registration madness thread as well, but along the same lines as those scale model but still road-registered steam traction engines I posted about

I present the Lykamobile a steam (kit) car replica thing?

image.png.5bca1dbf43186ca1dc4dc753e80da5c2.png

https://www.steamtractionworld.com/lykamobile.htm

https://www.steamtractionworld.com/product-lyka.html

its so fun to see a steam vehicle being newly produced and on a modern plate :) 

although im still disappointed no ones made a "modern" steam vehicle thats actually somewhat fast (ie can go above 4Mph) or practical , it would be really cool to see one of those 1950's Steam engine conversions @barrett talked about, reproduced or such, especially such being a Steam vehicle you would not really have to worry about any sort of modern day regulations, so you would be pretty free to have it look how you want LOL

On 09/08/2021 at 18:37, barrett said:

Seems a bit pointless that it can only do 12mph, when steam cars from 100 years ago could do ten times that speed...

 

Lots (well, several) cars were converted to steam power right into the 50s, but virtually none of them have survived into preservation. Those that have tend to be 'restored' back to IC power which strikes me as a bit of a shame. There was a big 30s Wolseley Viper discovered recently with a full steam set-up but the new owner is going to put it back to factory spec. Does anyone know if any steam conversions have actually survived intact?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Saw a hideous looking roadster yesterday.. namely a Vauxhall VX220 Roadster..

image.png.3dea027f0d1795f5c6f3500ed5551f7c.png

Never seen one before and never knew they were a thing!

Very closely related to a Lotus Elise.  

Very good cars apparently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I don't think many will agree! 

The VX220 is a very highly rated thing. People go crazy for them

I imagine they go well and I'm sure people have their reasons for liking them, but I just can't see past the looks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I imagine they go well and I'm sure people have their reasons for liking them, but I just can't see past the looks

You can't see the outside when you're driving it. I remember TG testing one, never seen such flat cornering. I want one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

You can't see the outside when you're driving it. I remember TG testing one, never seen such flat cornering. I want one.

Well that is a good point 😀

Maybe I'll warm upto them one day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...