NEW Dacia. £5995 Would you buy one?

warren t claim

If I was the sort of person who buys new cars I might consider it, but that sort of money represents many, many years of running interesting old barges, so I'll stick to what I know.

One of my friends' parents might be interested in one of these. He buys a brand new car, looks after it like it was one of their children and when it'll go no further, buys another brand new car.

He's on his fifth car since he passed his test in 1962, and we're talking cheapo Froggy hatchbacks like Renault 5s and 6s, Pug 205 etc....

That Scenic looks like it's facing towards the sea. What time are you letting the handbrake off?

Lol! It's actually not that bad really. I had to go on an epic tat collection to get it, it was for sale eight houses down the road from me, and DIDN'T break down or use any water on the way home.

Mrs PBK was kind of interested in the Sandero something or other, possibly 'stepside'. Looked reasonable on the interweb but I saw one in the flesh a couple of days ago and it looked cheap, nasty and horrible. Mind you, it was a sort of orangey brown colour which didn't do it any favours.

Have to admit - I've seen a fair few Dacia Dusters kicking about. There's a market for it seems. They're doing a damn sight better than MG anyway!

Yup. At £8995, I reckon they'll sell as many Dusters as they can get on the boat over here. Have also seen plenty on the roads here - certainly more than I have Great Wall Steeds. One or two of those about (and a local distributor) but Dusters seem very popular.

Mrs PBK was kind of interested in the Sandero something or other, possibly 'stepside'. Looked reasonable on the interweb but I saw one in the flesh a couple of days ago and it looked cheap, nasty and horrible. Mind you, it was a sort of orangey brown colour which didn't do it any favours.

Had a good look at the Sandero with the view to having one, no thanks, it is cheap and nasty and horrible. The one in the showroom looked like it had been left out in the rain with the bonnet up when looking at the engine bay. Couldn't see any of this 'tough' build quality' and 'Made to last for years' crap that was on Honest John. Still all those in the show room had a sold sticker on them....

Rather have a 20 year old Saab or something

Hey, I saw a GreatWall the other week in Chester. To be fair it looked pretty decent, though that's not a good way to judge things I suppose.

Keep seeing them on ebay for much more than 5995;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-62-Dacia ... 762wt_1193

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Dacia-Sa ... 3a7e17662e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Dacia-SA ... 267wt_1193

Can't see many people springing 9 or 10 grand one to be honest, would probably go for a Suzuki Alto myself if I had 6 grand burning a hole in my moneybelt and an overwhelming desire to drive a brand new car; neither of which seem very likely now I come to think about it.

Ive got a workmate who as a teen, once bought a Jawa moped brand spanking new.

His boss asked him why the F he bought that for??!!

"It was cheap and its brand new"

His boss replied

"Son, if you saw a steaming turd on the pavement, would you pick it up because it was fresh?"

I could be tempted to buy one - not the cheapo white base model. I would prefer a choice in colour scheme. Would rather go for the 0.9 Tce engine.

The thought of owning a brand new car with no scratches on it scares me a bit - even a cheap one. Feel a bit more comfortable in something a little more 'battle scarred'.

I actually saw both an MG6 and a Great Wall pickup on the road on Sunday. And two Vauxhall Adams - the first of those I've seen on the road.

I was tailgated by a Sandero yesterday - it was a dark metallic blue so obviously not the base model, but looked OK in the AX's mirrors.

I think they'll sell shit loads of them as they fit right into the market Hyundai, Skoda and Kia used to take up before they went all ladee-da. Perfect for old giffers and people who don't give a shit what they buy as long as long as it's cheap and has a long warranty. Renault have their own bank so I bet they'll come out with some mega low cost finance deal too.

The first time I saw one in traffic it took a moment to register what it was.

When I realised, I heard James May's voice - "Good news! Its the Dacia Sandero."

So far in the UK I've seen one Sandero, at least two Dusters (one base in UN white with steels and black bumpers), one privately owned MG6 (plus 2 or 3 with dealer graphics) and one dealer demo Great Wall.

while collecting motorcycle chod from bristol saw a duster on the m5 this evening

in silver not that brown that fifth gear tested tho

not seen sanderos here tho - seen more in belgium and south holland in a week last year than here :D