NEW Dacia. £5995 Would you buy one?

warren t claim

Bit o/t but my wife and I are going to look at one this weekend. We desperately need a bigger car. The base 'access' model doesn't even have a radio but its only 9 grand. Having 3 old cars means I cant be sears with Mot, repairs etc so it'll have to ne a new one of some sort.

I'd consider the lack of radio to be a blessing. All the wiring is in place, so with minimal effort you can stick in some decent speakers and a nice bluetooth headunit instead of the mono FM radio cassette with no aux socket you'd normally encounter in a base model car. 

I'd consider the lack of radio to be a blessing. All the wiring is in place, so with minimal effort you can stick in some decent speakers and a nice bluetooth headunit instead of the mono FM radio cassette with no aux socket you'd normally encounter in a base model car. 

I thought about that as theres a grand wee place near me called Skidz that undid all the damage caused by the fool who fitted a prehistoric hands-free kit to my Corsa and only charged a ton, including a nice Kenwood head unit, but wouldnt that void the warranty?

Just put a deposit down on an new Duster 1.6 Access.

Its the basic model, no radio, steel wheels but its really quite decent inside. Its also a big car. Any colour you like as long as its Alpine white.

Despite the poorer NCAP rating, its actually cheaper to insure than our current Chevy 1.2.

Its a long order time from India though so we won't get it till September/October.

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Just put a deposit down on an new Duster 1.6 Access.

Its the basic model, no radio, steel wheels but its really quite decent inside. Its also a big car. Any colour you like as long as its Alpine white.

Despite the poorer NCAP rating, its actually cheaper to insure than our current Chevy 1.2.

Its a long order time from India though so we won't get it till September/October.

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Where are you getting it from? Arnie Shark?

Dusters seem to be selling ok I've seen quite a few now although maybe that's because there's a dealer 2 miles down the road from me, and contrary to the belief in this thread that the base model will be hard to come by, most of them have been, either white or dark blue. Not seen many Sanderos outside of dealer premises though. 3 I think so far. No base models yet and all a kind of powder blue colour.

Did see a Duster base model in Asda earlier which oddly had Renault hub caps on it

I totally approve of these value cars and think you should always go for the base model for maximum effect- that makes the most sense I think.  Mind you, I just went on the quite-convincing Dacia website, specced-up a Duster to maximum horn status and it came to over £17k... :eek: 

Must say, I've only spotted one Dacia down here in Kent since the comeback..

These have actually reached Yorkshire!

post-1381-0-92503800-1371325047_thumb.jpg

The Sandero Stepway was on the double yellows outside Skipton NatWest where all the local blue badge coffin dodgers park. Check out the 'Dacia Elf' sticker, in an 80's Renault stylee!

post-1381-0-29803200-1371324630_thumb.jpg

This week I also saw a white Duster with black bumpers - proper made my day that did.

Not quick enough on the draw to pap it though, unfortunately.

Just had a butchers at that forum. Besides early corrosion there are tales of long and indefinite delivery times, bad customer service, and water ingress. Doesn't sound good. Can't help feeling that in the real world a new Kia is probably a better bet (though admittedly much more boring!)

I thought about that as theres a grand wee place near me called Skidz that undid all the damage caused by the fool who fitted a prehistoric hands-free kit to my Corsa and only charged a ton, including a nice Kenwood head unit, but wouldnt that void the warranty?

No, it wouldn't void the warranty - they know you're going to fit a radio, you don't have to drill holes in the bodywork or even modify the wiring.

I also didn't realise the Access model came equipped with central locking and electric windows until I looked at Dacias website.

There was a poster explaining all the different Duster trims and what equipment they had in Parks Renault in Motherwell when I was in getting warranty work done a couple of months ago and they werent listed on the Access spec list, it was only when you got to the Ambience model it listed them. Which makes no stereo even weirder, I'd consider a radio to be above them in the pecking order.

I quite like the idea of choosing your own stereo, or in the case of a Dacia, ramming the old Saisho one you've been using since 1989 into the slot with half a fag packet to stop it rattling, and joining up all the wiring with Scotchlok.

I'm seeing a lot of these in Glasgow, they've really taken off round here, particularly the Duster.

Reading that Dacia forum, it sounds like on the base model you have to pay extra for a spare wheel.  :shock:

Not uncommon nowadays, even on cars that cost five times what the Dacia costs.

You can sort of see the logic, given most people nowadays have neither the ability nor inclination to change a wheel themselves, so why bother fitting one?

• 2 months later...

Mrs Oman picked up her new dacia sandero last week. it will definitely be future shite once they've been around for a few years. if you are the sort of person who was happy to run around in a pug 106 diesel, the sandero is its spiritual successor. Its a  1.5 diesel and if you sit at 60 its doing 70+ mpg which makes it good in my book. free road tax too. Performance wise, its quicker than the 306 dt it replaced and has tons of room. I like it.