Jump to content
warren t claim

The Bikeshite Thread

Recommended Posts

That's nice, I've had a few 955's in speed triple and daytona flavour, make sure your battery is tip top at all times and if it starts to run like shit and not idle you'll need to change the IACV hoses under the tank which is simple enough, you'll also have to repair the plastic quick release hose clips as they break when you remove the tank, oh and don't use fuel with high ethanol content as the tank swells and you'll never get it back on!!

They are great bikes, the small optional flyscreen you can get does a really good job of keeping the wind off and change the exhaust for a noisy one, they are one of the best sounding bikes ever :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

That's nice, I've had a few 955's in speed triple and daytona flavour, make sure your battery is tip top at all times and if it starts to run like shit and not idle you'll need to change the IACV hoses under the tank which is simple enough, you'll also have to repair the plastic quick release hose clips as they break when you remove the tank, oh and don't use fuel with high ethanol content as the tank swells and you'll never get it back on!!

They are great bikes, the small optional flyscreen you can get does a really good job of keeping the wind off and change the exhaust for a noisy one, they are one of the best sounding bikes ever :)

Thank you, any advice and tips is most appreciated. Do I need to get a battery trickle charger? I don't want to knacker the sprag clutch. 

I take your point about the exhaust, needs moor loudness definitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aprilia passed the MOT today. Owned it for 20 months but unbelievably not had the opportunity to ride it until now

Had it serviced last week, carbs ultrasonically cleaned, and new fork seals fitted.

So of course, with brand new tyres on, it pissed it down. Chuck in a power band that does come in with a bit of a bang, and it was not the best conditions for my first ride. But whilst the MOT was being conducted, it stopped raining and the roads dried out quickly

Takes a bit of time for the engine to get up to temperature (cold seizures are all to easily done) but it is so much better than I thought it would be. Lovely engine note and great handling and brakes.

Only did about 40 miles but had 3 people offer to buy it! Will do a longer ride tomorrow if it stays dry-took me ages to wash it and dry it down.

20190718_125736.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warch said:

Thank you, any advice and tips is most appreciated. Do I need to get a battery trickle charger? I don't want to knacker the sprag clutch. 

I take your point about the exhaust, needs moor loudness definitely.

I would definitely get a trickle charger as they are fickle things, as for other tips you can download a bit of free software called tuneecu which enables you to read and clear fault codes and alter all sorts of stuff and even remap the bike when you put a loud exhaust on, all you need is a cheap kkl cable and a laptop or even a Bluetooth dongle off ebay and a mobile phone, although remapping can only be done by cable. 

If you are handy with the spanners it also pays to strip the rear hub and regrease it all, there wasn't a lot put in at the factory to begin with. 

They are fairly easy things to work on, the electrics can be a pain so it's a good idea to work through the connectors and clean up and add grease where necessary, it's been 10 years since I've had one and I've probably forgotten loads, I think the triumphtorque forum is dead now unfortunately, there was a wealth of info on there, I think triumphrat is still going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, warch said:

Thank you, any advice and tips is most appreciated. Do I need to get a battery trickle charger? I don't want to knacker the sprag clutch. 

I take your point about the exhaust, needs moor loudness definitely.

Just get a good quality battery, yuasa or similar, not a cheap one. Trickle chargers are shite.

The quick release fuel connectors should have been replaced u der warranty for metal ones, easy enuf to check tho.

If you fit a race can, you can get free fuelling maps from tune ecu, made a big difference to low end fuelling on mine with a factory triumph race can 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers everyone lots of useful advice. A Haynes manual did come with the bike so I've got a bit of reading material. I ended up do absolutely all the repair work on my old bike including fitting tyres so I'm not afraid to break out the spanners. I'll need a single sided swingarm stand too for working on the back wheel, plus an effing enormous socket to remove the rear wheel when the time comes. 

Actually now my old bike is surplus to requirements I'm tempted to take it properly apart and see what ails it. It had a distressing oil leak/spray coming from somewhere, a nasty engine rattle which I suspect was the timing chain and a huge flat spot/general lack of arsed which were probably a combo of unbalanced carburettors and possibly valve clearances. Could make a fun track day bike or something if I managed to sort it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCT

In as much as every bike have is for sale at the right price, letting go of the Aprilia (and my Guzzi) I can't see happening. Riding the RC8 through Italy next month end route to Bosnia, but doing it on the RS would ruin me in fuel and two stroke oil. Plus it isn't the most comfortable thing after about 45 minutes! 

The shop I took my RS too for its MOT has an RGV250 there, which the owner has sunk around £12k into, including Tyga pipes and all sorts of engine mods. It's really well done and looks great, but the Suzuki frame does not flow or look as beautiful as the RS frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend several people have tried out our new scooter and a child crashed it a couple of times, but it took an adult to crash it badly enough to break it!

The damage is small with a plastic peg snapped off on the throttle grip base that stops it rotating on the handle bar tube. It is a plastic moulding and is not easy to bodge up so I thought I would just change the broken piece that also contains the light switch and start button. I have had a look on the internet and can't find the bit I need and I am hoping somebody more experienced in motorcycle parts can locate one for me?

It is a 2012 Direct Bikes ZN125T-E, reg LK61 FYS

IMG_20190720_084334 broad.jpg

IMG_20190620_204818 crop throttle broad arrow.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my RE Interceptor 650 got it's first service back in May it was at another branch of the supplying dealer but not one that does RE. They put Castrol 10W40 in it instead of 10W50. I'd negotiated a free service so didn't kick off about it. After all Aberdeenshire heat is unlikely to stress the motor anything Indian heat. Niggled me though!
Last week Silkolene XP 10W50 went in with a new filter. Now I've never used Silkolene but after a run yesterday I'm impressed. Much nicer gear change than with the Castrol so job's a good'in.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any tips on what moustache wax to use?

I'm concerningly tempted by this. With the usual issues of needing to somehow get an MOT and depending on how work falls that weekend.

http://bikeshedfestival.com/

Seems good value and could be good fun to see custom bikes actually in use. If only I had a top box I could enter the VFR, I'll have to leave it to one of you guys to bring Autoshite some glory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Aprilia passed the MOT today. Owned it for 20 months but unbelievably not had the opportunity to ride it until now

Had it serviced last week, carbs ultrasonically cleaned, and new fork seals fitted.

So of course, with brand new tyres on, it pissed it down. Chuck in a power band that does come in with a bit of a bang, and it was not the best conditions for my first ride. But whilst the MOT was being conducted, it stopped raining and the roads dried out quickly

Takes a bit of time for the engine to get up to temperature (cold seizures are all to easily done) but it is so much better than I thought it would be. Lovely engine note and great handling and brakes.

Only did about 40 miles but had 3 people offer to buy it! Will do a longer ride tomorrow if it stays dry-took me ages to wash it and dry it down.

20190718_125736.jpg

First dibs please. Ta.  :-)

 

 

 

really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, Six-cylinder said:

The damage is small with a plastic peg snapped off on the throttle grip base that stops it rotating on the handle bar tube. It is a plastic moulding and is not easy to bodge up so I thought I would just change the broken piece that also contains the light switch and start button. I have had a look on the internet and can't find the bit I need and I am hoping somebody more experienced in motorcycle parts can locate one for me?

It is a 2012 Direct Bikes ZN125T-E, reg LK61 FYS

 

IMG_20190620_204818 crop throttle broad arrow.jpg

Drill hole in switch half and improvise peg with a bolt through it?

Or wait for the Chinese (great bunch of lads) to deliver one to your door: 

AliExpress £6.52 (free delivery China Post slow boat 20-40 days) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Right-hand-Control-Switch-for-Scooter-Moped-Vento-Hot-Rod-TNG-Low-Boy-150-Tank-Urban/32994180809.html

Ebay £9.89 (free delivery slow boat similar timescale to above) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151924190772

(I'd sit and wait for the slow boat as these are 4x price here: https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/partno_HBSR032)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

Drill hole in switch half and improvise peg with a bolt through it?

Or wait for the Chinese (great bunch of lads) to deliver one to your door: 

AliExpress £6.52 (free delivery China Post slow boat 20-40 days) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Right-hand-Control-Switch-for-Scooter-Moped-Vento-Hot-Rod-TNG-Low-Boy-150-Tank-Urban/32994180809.html

Ebay £9.89 (free delivery slow boat similar timescale to above) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151924190772

(I'd sit and wait for the slow boat as these are 4x price here: https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/partno_HBSR032)

Brilliant, I new there would be somebody cleverer than me on here.

I have ordered the Ebay one and we will just have to wait for more scooter fun in the field.

Thanks a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been a bit of controversy this year over rides apparently drafting the camera bikes on the descents. If this sort of nefarious tactic appeals I'd definitely be looking for one of those abominations. 

The front fairing is so wide even I'd be able to cycle in its slipstream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 6:53 AM, Six-cylinder said:

 

I have ordered the Ebay one and we will just have to wait for more scooter fun in the field.

Thanks a lot.

I'd probably have bodged it with a phat self tapper - did you have a crack with the Vision or has that been relegated to history now you have the luxurious Direct Bikes bike of dreams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hagar ( The Horrible Hyosung) is in the shop at the mo having the rear rubber replaced with a nice new Maxxis tyre and the front brake repaired as it gave up one evening the week before last as I was coming up to a set of lights ( three nooks at Lea) which meant I went sailing through on red. Couldn't find any hydraulic leak and the pads seem to have enough meat on them.

I rode it about for a week with just the back brake but decided it was a bit too dangerous even for me and have given it the bloke in a shed down the docks to fiddle with - this was outside when I dropped it off.

Bike.thumb.JPG.8b5fac908c3426abbb3a6742bb173e9f.JPG

Chap uses the sidecar to cart his camping gear about in and shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

I'd probably have bodged it with a phat self tapper - did you have a crack with the Vision or has that been relegated to history now you have the luxurious Direct Bikes bike of dreams?

We looked at bodging, but because of the throttle cable adjacent to the plastic rib we could not see how we could put a screw in without fouling it.

We did not get round to tackling the Honda last weekend, but as it is most fun in the field and the plan is still there to get it running again. I just need someone who has a bit of bike skill in reach of Buckingham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, twosmoke300 said:

Look at this tit . Finally got leathers that fit ! Just gotta break em in now .

Track day here I come ! Whoop whoop 

Put ebc pads In the cat today , what a difference to the kyoto junk in their before . Had a fiddle with the suspension because the new pads showed up a lot of brake dive . Turns out it had been set up super soft up front and stiff out back . All balanced up now and much nicer . 

So happy with this cheap old bike , got the bug again .

AF385832-B280-4C1A-BD09-7D0458D903F2.jpeg

22102010624.jpg

ROFLSAUSAGEDRIBBLE - knew i had a pic was looking for something else and saw that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been fixing up my Gamma.

Put the repainted wheel back in earlier [after doing some more block laying on my workshop]

Stripped the forks - seals blown.

rg forks.jpg

gamma forkless.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...