The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

very interesting scooter :)  cant say I ever even thought about soviet scooters before,

not sure why tbh maybe it was because I just thought everyone went straight to Ladas, but it looks like how I would imagine a soviet scooter to look like LOL

is the scooter body/design a copy/licence built western design like the Lada?

or is it something home grown?

are there any others in the UK, how do you go about road registering it exactly? just your normal Nova and V55/4?

10 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

is the scooter body/design a copy/licence built western design like the Lada?

or is it something home grown?

are there any others in the UK, how do you go about road registering it exactly? just your normal Nova and V55/4?

It is a copy of another scooter, a Goggo:

roller%20barth_k.jpg

but not a legit one - the Russians nicked the design! That's a Goggo above, and the early Tulas were a straight copy, mine is a bit different because it's a post-1961 model. There are a few others that I've seen over here, but none as early as mine.

The most common Tulas you'll see over here are the Muravey pick up truck things, there seem to be quite a few of those - there are 2 on eBay at the moment that I posted in the eBay thread.

tula-muravey.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Registering them is straightforward if you have documents. Mine doesn't, so it will need a dating certificate, but - according to the Cossack OC - this isn't straightforward as Soviet manufacturing records have never been published. So they have to use best guesses based on known frame numbers to age the bike, and DVLA typically ask for more evidence, usually photographic comparisons, when registering one. But they assure me that it can and has been done!

2 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

It is a copy of another scooter, a Goggo:

roller%20barth_k.jpg

but not a legit one - the Russians nicked the design! That's a Goggo above, and the early Tulas were a straight copy, mine is a bit different because it's a post-1961 model. There are a few others that I've seen, but none as early as mine. The msot common Tulas you'll see over here are the Muravey pick up truck things, there seem to be quite a few of those - there are 2 on eBay at the moment that I posted in the eBay thread.

Registering them is straightforward if you have documents. Mine doesn't, so it will need a dating certificate, but - according to the Cossack OC - this isn't straightforward as Soviet manufacturing records have never been published. So they have to use best guesses based on known frame numbers to age the bike, and DVLA typically ask for more evidence, usually photographic comparisons, when registering one. But they assure me that it can and has been done!

ah very interesting :) 

Im guessing the registration plate on the back is not good for anything is it?

does it contain any electrical components? the soviets were usually pretty good at putting date stamps on them

same goes for their light bulbs too, id be happy to look at pictures of the lightbulbs and see if I can date them for you?

although im not sure how well the DVLA will take a lightbulb as evidence for year/date of manufacture!

51 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah very interesting :) 

Im guessing the registration plate on the back is not good for anything is it?

does it contain any electrical components? the soviets were usually pretty good at putting date stamps on them

same goes for their light bulbs too, id be happy to look at pictures of the lightbulbs and see if I can date them for you?

although im not sure how well the DVLA will take a lightbulb as evidence for year/date of manufacture!

I don't think we can get anything from the reg plate, although I will ask the registrar dude at the COC. There is a massive reg/rec and a huge coil in there, will certainly check those for dates. I can certainly post up the bulbs as I remove them!

31 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

I don't think we can get anything from the reg plate, although I will ask the registrar dude at the COC. There is a massive reg/rec and a huge coil in there, will certainly check those for dates. I can certainly post up the bulbs as I remove them!

Sounds like a plan :) 

tbh I dont think iv really seen any soviet automotive bulbs before so it will be interesting to see how those are constructed

13 hours ago, strangeangel said:

...The most common Tulas you'll see over here are the Muravey pick up truck things, there seem to be quite a few of those - there are 2 on eBay at the moment that I posted in the eBay thread.

That one looks like an ideal hack for 6Cyl's Field of Dreams. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, Jerzy Woking said:

I really rate the British Suoerbike School who operate out of Blyton Park near Gainsborough. Instructor to pupil rate is one to two. Proper instructors too, not just someone who wants to race his mates all day. 

Cartagena is close to on-track days with some of the Spanish clubs are €70. Shame I've just the Enfield here, but will bring the RC8 out in 2020.

I did have a look at them after your write up earlier and it does look good, might be a bit much to ride there, take instruction then ride back for me. So staying overnight somewhere means it'd cost a fair whack more. If I get the 'wheeeeee' part out of the way nearer by then I'd definitely look into them to get some actual tuition.

Shame Caragena is so far away, a bikeshite trackday could be great fun.

3 hours ago, strangeangel said:

By strange co-incidence the white Muravey on eBay has just sold! I wonder...

Looks good, but a bit expensive for FoD hack.

I am hoping Cats will succeed with repairing the Jingling or the kittens are going to be very disappointed. 

P1090782 broad.jpg

4 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

I did have a look at them after your write up earlier and it does look good, might be a bit much to ride there, take instruction then ride back for me. So staying overnight somewhere means it'd cost a fair whack more. If I get the 'wheeeeee' part out of the way nearer by then I'd definitely look into them to get some actual tuition.

Shame Caragena is so far away, a bikeshite trackday could be great fun.

We stay at the Fox and Hounds in Willingham, about 15 minutes ride away. Ive never been a fan of riding home immediately after a trackday.  You'll be tired and would have had a few adrenaline rushes throughout the day. At least I need to wind down somewhere comfortable with good food. Like the BSB School, the pub is recommended.

Because it's not a trackday in the normal sense of the word, a Bikeshite day could be arranged there with them. As they say, it's not what you ride, but the way you ride it.

Recently did a 3482 mile trip on the Royal Enfield Himalayan from Spain to France to Spain to Portugal and back to Spain.

Sat down last night with all my fuel receipts which showed I used (brimmed at the start, brimmed when I got back) 148.15 litres (32.59 gallons) which works out at 106 mpg. Including many flat out rides up the mountain passes through each country.

Beats my KTM that managed 43 mpg on my 3000 mile trip around the Balkans.

IMG-20191009-WA0053.jpg

Wow, I have been thinking about the re Himalayan for a couple of years now. Had it really done 106mpg, that seems incredible    .

Would be interested in your views about long term ownership and quality versus price etc  

Like most people I dream of taking a very long ride nowhere in particular on a tight budget, also an everyday fun bike. 

4 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

That's some going, Col! How did you find the bike for comfort and general riding?  

4 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Wow, I have been thinking about the re Himalayan for a couple of years now. Had it really done 106mpg, that seems incredible    .

Would be interested in your views about long term ownership and quality versus price etc  

Like most people I dream of taking a very long ride nowhere in particular on a tight budget, also an everyday fun bike. 

The standard seat isnt the most comfortable, but is fine now with a 1cm gel pad stuck to the bottom of a sheepskin placed on the seat, which makes 8 hour riding days fine.

Only modification (apart from my sat nav mount and a USB socket) has been to fit handlebar risers, which makes riding when standing up much more comfortable. 

First part of my trip to France was 850 kms, done over 12 hours with no motorways used. Met up with my three mates (one on a Himalayan, the others on a Honda CBF 1000 and a Suzuki 650) and the Himalayans were great on the back roads, and we were able to try out loads of tracks the others couldnt. Over rough roads they just flew along, suspension is basic but brilliantly compliant.

First service at 5600 kms cost me €102 , including a tappet check. They are simple to look after being air cooled.

Only place the 24 BJP is felt was up some of the inclines on the steep mountain roads, but on the downhill they were very good-handling on Pirelli MT 60 tyres is good, with only a couple of slides.

I've had no issues-which seem to be minor on other bikes, those being stalling when cold, clock misting and weeping head gaskets (fixed with a longer bolt). Built quality is good for what is a basic bike built for the back roads.

Youtuber Itchy Boots did 36,000 kms on hers riding from India to the Netherlands without a single breakdown, likewise Nathanthepostman did 16000 miles in his including guided 3 or 4 trips from John O'Groats to Lands End, and one from USA (east to west) with no breakdown, and he rode his hard.

At £4k new with 2 years warranty and breakdown cover, it's a bargain. When I do sell mine it in 3 years it will be replaced with another new one

20191021_231414.jpg

Im going to post this here just because...

73096108_10156549257808314_954254747198554112_n.thumb.jpg.8b0e55fc18fe5dca1cd781dd4906016a.jpg

Done a couple of short rides on it so far and quite happy with it - not sure if the stator is on the way out or the battery - indicator lights stop winking after a couple  of minutes at idle if you have the headlight on, rev it and they start winking again. Aside from that everything does what its supposed to.

71890984_10156549257848314_1353756649268969472_n.thumb.jpg.385b765c59eaf7fc7ea1f0f359a45786.jpg

More comfortable than the GT250, about the same speed wise top whack but this takes longer to get there - a bit like a 125 in that respect I suppose - Ive clocked 85 on it and think thats all it has which for commuting is plenty.

72632299_10156549257878314_584302499297492992_n.thumb.jpg.7ec11761608100a8b126d366eac82b11.jpg

£450 with 12 months MOT. Sold the GT for £375 just to get rid really, could have held out for more but Meh.

72982371_10156549257893314_1436705558815047680_n.thumb.jpg.1f35577dfb01db357cd6d5166c949bbe.jpg

I really do like this little CB so far. OK so its not a wetdream, but its a nice little bike. With insurance at £50 and a heap of spare parts including a spare (better condition) tank Im pretty pleased with it even if I did have to go 96 miles up a cul de sac to get it.

10 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

May I have the honour of being the first to say: DIBS 

You may indeed BUT mine is Spanish registered, and as I am not a Spanish resident (nor want to be), I cannot ride it legally in the UK.

So collection only! And that wont be until 2021 at the earliest, when the warranty runs out.

Actually, considering they are £4k new, they hold their value well. I've not seen many for sale for less than £3200.

58 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Actually, considering they are £4k new, they hold their value well. I've not seen many for sale for less than £3200.

I've noticed that as well with other 'modern' Enfield models, granted a lot have done a almost no miles. 

It'll be interesting to see if there is any effect on the price of their recent uptick in sales and more second hand being on the market. I personally doubt it, as the new price will creep up and drag used ones with it like they did for things like sv650s that were knocked out cheap a few years ago so now seem to take a decade to depreciate 50%.

All of which makes Fabergé's purchase of yours a bargain in 2021. Although given the pound will be on par with the rupee by then perhaps he'd be better off paying you upfront now.

Exchange rate is £1 = €1.167 this morning so going up??

From what I see most of the Himalayans up for sale are by owners that cant get on with them for whatever reasons. Those I know who have them actually use them. I"ve had mine since March and  now done around 4,200 miles on it, despite my being out of Spain from June to mid September, and having my Guzzi out here for three months.

I can't see RE increasing the price, unless out of pure greed. There isnt much they need to do now in the way of improvements to the model without alienating its biggest market (India). The production run will go on for as long as it sells, or until it is replaced by an entirely new model. Remember this is Enfield's first major "all new" bike in decades so replacement is probably a few years off.

It's not perfect, but for £4k new it is in my opinion probably one the best value bikes on the market, or at the very least in the Adventure bike sector. I'm being biased no doubt, as I have to justify my outlay to myself, which I am happy with.

Jack-collection thread woul be excellent, but youd have to trailer it once in the UK. That's unless you plan to become resident in Spain before you take it!

On 10/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

We stay at the Fox and Hounds in Willingham, about 15 minutes ride away. Ive never been a fan of riding home immediately after a trackday.  You'll be tired and would have had a few adrenaline rushes throughout the day. At least I need to wind down somewhere comfortable with good food. Like the BSB School, the pub is recommended.

Because it's not a trackday in the normal sense of the word, a Bikeshite day could be arranged there with them. As they say, it's not what you ride, but the way you ride it.

In other news, Italjet are looking at bringing back the only Scooter any self respecting rider would be seen on.

I'm sure it'll be overpriced and any used for commuting will be nicked within months so a more practical maxi scooter will still make more actual sense. But still they look great for something without a gearbox so I hope they do well.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/italjet-dragster/